Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The 'crinkly' look >

The 'crinkly' look

The 'crinkly' look

Old 05-31-2013, 02:54 AM

Happy to report that I've tested my Kona fabrics (a bright red and a bright blue) in hotter-than-I-would-use-in-the-machine water and there didn't seem to be any bleeding at all. I think I will add a colour catcher or three and I'm hoping it'll be alright!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:22 AM

You reallly got some great discussions going on here! Welcome to quilt board and my opinion on crinkly is that it shrunk a little when washed. I like the crinkly look too - I think it makes the quilt looked used and not so brand new. Nothing really to add to thread but it has been fun to read and realize that quilting is all around the world.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
Welcome to the QB - Looks like you're getting lots of opinions....so I'll just keep mine! Hahaha!

Nan
Thanks for the early morning laugh Nan!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:41 AM

I, too, love the crinkly look. Due to one horrible 'bleeding' experience, I prewash all fabrics BEFORE piecing, use either 100% cotton batting or an 80% cotton/20% poly blend, wash the quilt upon completion, and dry it in the dryer. Get good crinkling every time. Oh, as somebody else said, the closer the quilting the less crinkle.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 AM

Greetings from the other side of the pond and welcome to QB! I simply love your first time quilt! I venture to say not many of us could go back and look at our first quilt and say it looked that good lol.
i have been reading all of the replies and smiling because as a new quilter you may be amazed at all the variant opinions. Sometimes that can be confusing and frustrating to the person wanting the "real" answer. But the reality is they are all good answers, it just illustrates there is not just one right way.
Now if I were smart I would take Nan's sage advice and not voice my opinion. But alas, I always have an opinion and always like to share it, hahaha. So here goes..... I have not seen anyone mention the loft of the batting. That has been the most tradional way of controlling " crinkling". It appears I am the rare bird here who does NOT want my quilts to get all crinkly which is why I exclusively use the lowest loft battings I can find. Using a higher loft will ensure more dimension and crinkle that will also highlight your quilting. Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:56 AM

i have been reading all of the replies and smiling because as a new quilter you may be amazed at all the variant opinions. Sometimes that can be confusing and frustrating to the person wanting the "real" answer. But the reality is they are all good answers, it just illustrates there is not just one right way.
Haha, that's ok! I've been crafting for a long time, so I appreciate we all settle into what works for us in time. It's been fascinating to read everyone's opinion on the matter and it's given me a few ideas of things I'd like to try. You know what that means, don't you? More and more quilts!

Oh, and thanks very much for your kind comments on my first quilt - I appreciate it
Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 AM

On the subject of pre-washing: would you always pre-wash in the machine, or do you do it by hand? Thanks!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:11 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Well, there's more than enough advice here for you so I won't offer any, but I want to say I LOVE your quilt!! Cute, cute fabrics. And welcome from sunny, hot, muggy, mosquito-ridden Florida (can you tell it's summer?)!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by TheUncommonThread View Post
Hello! I have recently completed my first quilt and have just joined the quilting board

I was wondering about the crinkly look. I really love it and want more of it! My quilt did crinkle a bit, but I was wondering what else I could do to encourage more crinkliness in future quilts.

Are there battings out there that crinkle more than others? I know to avoid poly, but out of the cotton ones, is there a make that crinkles more? I used Sew Simple Super Soft Cotton. As for what you do after the quilt is finished, how much of an impact does that have? I machine washed my quilt on the delicate cycle of my front loader. I don't own a tumbler anymore, so I then draped it over a hot radiator - is that a good substitute or should I take it to the launderette?

And in terms of the quilting itself, does quilting closer together give more crinkles, or does it not matter?

Sorry lots of questions!
I think you are asking about the shrinkage. I use Warm and Natural and if you quilt it closer too it will crinkle more as you are calling it. The Warm & Natural is cotton and shrinks after it is washed and dried. That is what causes the crinkle. Also is it is quilted closer together it will be stiffer and look more crinkley. Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:19 AM

Welcome aboard, I think the machine drying will give you more crinkling. Good luck.