Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The 'crinkly' look >

The 'crinkly' look

The 'crinkly' look

Old 05-31-2013, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. Ok. Made my comment before I saw your quilt. Love your quilt. SO needs to get over it and look for a good deal or he can shake the laundry til its dry. Surely, they have sales on tumblers in the UK! My DH made a comment once that the dishes were piling up in the sink as he was looking for a butcher knife. I had been putting in long days at the salon (12 hour days) where I worked with my hands in water and chemicals all day. I told him he could either get a dishwasher, do them himself or stick them where the sun didn't shine. When I got home from the salon the next day (a short one), he was installing a dishwasher. He said that since there were butcher knives in the sink, he really didn't want me to "stick them where the sun didn't shine".
Old 05-31-2013, 07:50 AM

I, too, am a new quilter, so enjoyed the question and all the informative answers. By now, I am crinkled, but then that could be age......Blessings to everyone!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:53 AM

SO needs to get over it and look for a good deal or he can shake the laundry til its dry.
Well, it's not really to do with the price of the dryer. It's more that they are not very eco-friendly (reason 1), we don't have much space (reason 2), they tend to be loud and shake our (old!) house (reason 3). He's going to have to get over it though!

Thanks so much for your kind comments on my quilt. It's all starting to get to my head! All these experienced quilters!

And your post made me laugh!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 AM

Welcome to the gang! Your quilt is beautiful. I rarely prewash, but one thing I've learned about using bright fabrics is to cut off a small piece, lay it on paper and draw around it, or measure carefully, then just hand wash that piece in the sink with hot water. If it runs or turns water a color, I know I need to prewash. Then I dry it and lay it on the drawing to see if it has shrunk or not. Better safe than sorry when it comes to bleeding dyes.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 AM

Welcome to the Quilting Board from Scotland.

Sorry I can't answer your question but I love your quilt.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:30 AM

Welcome from South Carolina! What a lovely quilt, you did a great job. I no help for your problem, sorry but good luck in the future.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 AM

Love color catchers! And, I love your quilt! Great work! :-)
Old 05-31-2013, 10:13 AM

I love the crinkly look also. I use Warm and White or Warm and Natural and dry all my quilts un the dryer. I think more dense quilting makes a few more crinklies but maybe that's my imagination. I do not prewash my fabric but I do test the reds and dark colors first to see if they will bleed too much and then will prewash them if they do. Your quilt is very pretty!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 PM

Toss that puppy in the dryer. Makes a world of difference.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:03 AM

There are also products that you can buy (Nancy's Notions catalog) that will actually *make* the crinkle look immediately. I personally would never dry a quilt over a radiator. I like mine to dry flat, so when I wash mine, I lay them out on a sheet on the ground in a shady area, to avoid direct sunlight. I love the fresh-air smell, which seems to last for a really long time.