Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting machine recommendation >

Cutting machine recommendation

Cutting machine recommendation

Old 09-30-2018, 09:43 AM

Default Cutting machine recommendation

I have an injured back which makes the cutting part of quilting really painful. I’m wondering if a cutting machine would enable me to cut with less pain and therefor quilt more. Any one have a cutting machine they would recommend?
Old 09-30-2018, 11:05 AM

I have the GO Electric and love it. It makes for fast cutting and my piecing skills have improved. Look at the dies across the systems to determine what kind/size you would be likely to use. They are pricey so you don't want a system not used.

You may want to consider the electric model as the crank may cause discomfort to your back. Best wishes and I hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:08 AM

I don't use one myself, but of course I have opinions!

First off, go electronic. Manual is good if you want to take it along with you camping or whatever, but with back issues I think it's still too much strain, it is for me anyway.

My friend who is quite tall has leg issues more than back issues but has her share of those too. She finds that cutting on her kitchen counters while standing works best for her. For me, it's not the right height, I stand table height for long cuts, and then sit for the subcuts. I change my chair height all the time depending on what I'm doing and just how is my posture that day/that hour.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:05 PM

I don't have back issues but I do have chronic upper extremity ortho problems and I can tell you my Sizzix Big Shot Plus is wonderful, no pain of any kind, it turns very easily. I might suggest an electric model as well depending on your specific back problems. Talk about it with your physical therapist if you have one.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Hi Pam, I have a Go cutter with the hand crank. Turning the crank is a lot of work so with your back problems, you don't want a hand crank.

Initially I used my Go cutter to cut millions of 5" squares for the I Spy quilt sets I sell. It was good for that but the die wore out quickly. I got it replaced and the replacement is going dull even faster than the original one. Plus you have to keep buying mats, as the cutter cuts them up pretty bad, and then you no longer get good cuts. For these reasons, I hardly use my Go cutter anymore.

You have a little different situation with your back problem, so you may need a cutter. But my general feeling about them is that they are a lot of money for a little convenience. I'd rather cut with my rotary and rulers.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

I would get the electric Accuquilt Go! Check YouTube for various demos.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by lyric girl View Post
I also have a GO Big (electric cutter). I bought mine on sale because I have a partially torn tendon in my right hand which is my cutting hand. They work amazing, but know that none of it is cheap. However, Accuquilt frequently has sales.
good to know! I was checking out their starter sets and they are pricey.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Hi Pam, I have a Go cutter with the hand crank. Turning the crank is a lot of work so with your back problems, you don't want a hand crank.

Initially I used my Go cutter to cut millions of 5" squares for the I Spy quilt sets I sell. It was good for that but the die wore out quickly. I got it replaced and the replacement is going dull even faster than the original one. Plus you have to keep buying mats, as the cutter cuts them up pretty bad, and then you no longer get good cuts. For these reasons, I hardly use my Go cutter anymore.

You have a little different situation with your back problem, so you may need a cutter. But my general feeling about them is that they are a lot of money for a little convenience. I'd rather cut with my rotary and rulers.
i was wondering how user friendly they would be for doing boom blocks. Do they have dies for making lots of traditional blocks or are their designs mostly originals?
Old 09-30-2018, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
good to know! I was checking out their starter sets and they are pricey.

i was wondering how user friendly they would be for doing boom blocks. Do they have dies for making lots of traditional blocks or are their designs mostly originals?
Pamela--I have a Silhouette Cameo (bought first) which works well for cutting shapes for fusible applique, but not the best for basic shapes or cutting layers. So I bought an Accuquilt Go Big--the electric one--and love it. Yes, dies are pricey but they do go on sale periodically on their website. The machines also go on sale right around Thanksgiving--sign up now for their newsletter so you get notice as it's about a 4 day sale. I use the strip dies all the time, have a 12" Qube which gives you many different shapes to combine in lots of blocks (especially true if you have another Qube like 12, 9,6" or 12,10,8,6") They have free patterns on their site that you can download (like you are "purchasing" them but they are free) I definitely recommend Accuquilt Go Big and wish I had not purchased the Silhouette as I rarely applique--usually I use for cardstock & vinyl projects frankly.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:03 PM

I have a GoBig, the crank one, and I wish I'd gotten the Accuquilt Studio. There are sets of nesting dies that would be just perfect for something I want to do, but they do not fit the Go machines- they are too thick. So, check out the dies and make sure the ones you will use the most are available for your chosen machine. And, since you have back issues, get an electric cutter. Lol, I'll think of you when I'm cranking away on mine!
Old 10-01-2018, 05:42 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

The Go Big electric is heavy but still managable. The studio is really not portable but does have some neat features!!!!!
Let us know what you get.

Last edited by Terry in the ADK; 10-01-2018 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Added info