Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadline -lesson learned re procrastination!

Deadline -lesson learned re procrastination!

About 6 months ago a friend told me she was pregnant and I thought it would be fun to make her a baby quilt. I even had some fabrics that I'd previously bought for one. Need I say what happened (or didn't happen) next? I kept thinking that I must get started on it, and time went by. I finally decided on a disappearing 9 patch, to make the most of the pictures on one of the fabrics. Time went by. Then I made a big effort and sorted out my block size and cut out the pieces. Time went by. Then it was last week and I arranged to see my friend Friday of this week, for the last time before the birth. PANIC! I've just put the finishing stitches into the quilt after a gruelling few days. It looks OK, but I never want to sew under that sort of pressure again. It took all the fun out of it, and I couldn't take the care that I would have wanted to with the quilting, which I'm still quite a beginner at - wouldn't want a quilter to look closely at my stippling. Even so, sitting here looking at the finished quilt, I'm pleased with it, and I hope my friend will be too, after all that effort.

Hopefully this experience will teach me not to procrastinate so much! I'm going to have a couple of days off sewing now.

Name:  baby quilt finished 2 001 (480x640).jpg
Views: 2264
Size:  234.9 KB

Name:  baby quilt finished 002 (480x640).jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  298.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Maybe you work good under pressure, because it is very, very pretty. Good work

Power Poster
    It's cute -
    I think you had a lot of it planned in your head - so that might have helped.

Wow, you did great under pressure I must say. It is a wonderful quilt and it is going to be treasured by the mom and the child in years to come. I do not like working under such pressure and try very hard not to get myself in that place, but I did once...and that was a great lesson to me never to get myself in that position again so I know just how you felt.

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    Maybe you work good under pressure, because it is very, very pretty. Good work
    Thankyou. It's been an interesting experience, because usually I find it really difficult to get projects finished, so in one way the deadline was good because it made me keep going. But at the same time, it felt stressful, and I feel SO tired now that it's done.

It looks great! Love the backing fabric too.
    So many quilts, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
    It looks great! Love the backing fabric too.
    Thanks - the backing fabric was a great find, as it has the same pictures as I used for the top.

Very cute -- I have had problems like that too. I sometimes leave things to the last minute -- or the baby comes early.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Power Poster
    You say lesson learned now but I bet you'll do it again. I do it all the time and each time I say, never again! Your quilt is great! You must work best under pressure.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    It's really cute. I like the placement of the pictures in the bigger squares.

Well you work great under pressure, great work, love the fabric combo.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    too funny...BUT it is how I work...the closer the deadline, the better my work..ehhehe

It looks great and the baby will love it!!

I love it! Great job, I'm sure your friend is very happy. Meghan

I am under the same kind of pressure right now. I agreed to make the quilt bedding set for a new baby. Had to wait for the fabric to arrive. Now quilt top is ready for backing , batting and binding, the crib ruffle is almost done. I still have to make the bumper pads. Didn't buy enough fabric for the backing and ruffle and had to go back to store and buy more fabric. Hope to get at least 2 crib sheets made also. Have to hurry because baby is now 4 months old and they just moved and painted her room. What was I thinking?!!

Blog Entries
    Love it!!!!!!

It turned out beautifully!

I think that it came out great, but I know what you mean "under preasure", no fun...

Anne you made a lovely job of it!!! Don.t do yourself down!! I'm sure the new Mum and babe will love it!!!!
    Hilary

It came out beautiful.. As for procrastination, I do it all the time, and work best under the pressure..

Cute quilt, I know your friend will love it. You did a great job. I do not work well under pressure and I hate deadlines!!

It is just as cute as ever. Good Job!
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I love how your tossed 9 patch turned out. Can you tell me what order your 9 patches were in to get such great placement? I can see that the red square was in the middle of your 9 patch because they end up as small squares but I can only guess after that (your picture blocks are whole so they had to be place in either the top or bottom right and/or left corners so they remain whole and I'm guessing your top and bottom center patches were yellow since they end up as rectangles. I just can't figure out how you also have whole turquiose patches as well unless they were one of your top or bottom edge patches? Would love to know.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
    I love how your tossed 9 patch turned out. Can you tell me what order your 9 patches were in to get such great placement? I can see that the red square was in the middle of your 9 patch because they end up as small squares but I can only guess after that (your picture blocks are whole so they had to be place in either the top or bottom right and/or left corners so they remain whole and I'm guessing your top and bottom center patches were yellow since they end up as rectangles. I just can't figure out how you also have whole turquiose patches as well unless they were one of your top or bottom edge patches? Would love to know.
    I had to ask advice on here to get the placement sorted out! Red in the middle, picture top left and bottom right, turquoise top right and bottom left, others yellow.

Blog Entries
    Very cute. I like the D9P made with less variety in the fabrics.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast