Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dh sharpend my scissors >

Dh sharpend my scissors

Dh sharpend my scissors

Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 AM

Bless his heart for trying. It was a nice gesture. I'm sure he feels bad that he messed them up. Lay on the guilt trip and get some new ones
Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 AM

oops double post
Old 06-28-2011, 10:03 AM

Check with Joanne Fabrics if you have one near by. At times they have people that come in and sharpen scissors. Or at least I know the one here in Ft. Wayne, Indiana does. Also check and see if there is anyone in your area that sharpens knives or lawnmower blades. Some of them also sharpen scissors. Hope this helps.
Quilty Hugs,
Ann W. in Indiana
Old 06-28-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pat and pups
The owner of a quilt shop told me how she goes to a dollar store for scissors. They're sharp for awhile and then she can throw them away because they were so cheap.
Pat, now that is funny. I have a pair of scissor I bought at the dollar store in 1985 and I still use them in my sewing room. I have made over 100 quilts. When I made 9 raggedy blue jean quilts I used those to snip them. Than my Dear Husband saw on TV where you should use the spring type to do it. LOL. So now I have those to use.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
My dad was a logger for many years. He was used to sharpening chain saw teeth. I reluctantly left my Ginghers with him, and when I got them back they were better than new. I turned around and gave him all of my kitchen knives, and OMG, what a difference! So, go find your self a logger. :-) :lol: :lol: :-D
I'd only trust your dad !!!!! rofl Not all loggers may know the correct way! :)
Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I you ever see a wood whittler beg him to sharpen you scissors or knives. I never see whittlers around anymore. I use to see them in town whittling away while passing time.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jayelee
Go to walmart or suuch and buy a new pair of cheap scissors to use for everyday stuff Throw away when dull and buy new
I would go to the dollar store to buy everyday scissors, and hide the fabric shears. Ask 'dear helpful hubby' to stick to sharpening knives. You have to know how to sharpen scissors. they are not knife blades. Silly DH, give him a hug for trying anyway.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:38 AM

I've had that same experience. Joann's frequently has someone come in to sharpen scissors. They'll be able to fix them.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:23 PM

When my Singer sheers became dull, I looked for someone to sharpen them. No luck. I was told the serrated blade required a special (costly) machine and because of the cost no one in a 100 mile radius has one. So I requested a new pair of Gingher sheers for Christmas and my children came through. I am still looking for a sharpener, though.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Please, people! Stop throwing things away. If they are a decent pair of Scissors get them sharpened!

I know we live in a disposable world but there is something about quilting and tossing out stuff that just doesn't jive. What is quilting history all about? Making do, saving, re-using. This could be a quilters creed. A good pair of scissors may cost a good penny in the begining but they will last a life time if treated well. Find a logger!
peace :D