Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dh sharpend my scissors >

Dh sharpend my scissors

Dh sharpend my scissors

Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by verna2197
My DH decided to take it upon himself and sharpen my scissors I use for everyday stuff. Well now I can't even cut water with them. I have tried everything, tin foil, sos pad, even made him take them back to the garage to do his thing with it. No results. I am at my wits end. Don't know what to do

verna2197
You cannot believe the number of people who need sharp implements for their work. Hairdressers, meat cutters, metal workers, etc., all require sharp implements. You can find a person who does sharpening in the yellow pages (if there is one inyour area) or by Googling scissors sharpeners. The truth is, however, that if your scissors are every day scissors--not your good Ginghers, et.al.-- you will be better off to replace them because a good sharpener will charge enough for his/her work that you could buy everyday scissors for less than you would pay for sharpening.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Walmart sells a sharpener for scissors. They use it to sharpen theirs, expensive and it works.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:31 PM

I used my Pampered Chef knife sharpener to sharpen my paper cutting scissors! :lol:
Old 06-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Ikea has a set of three pairs of scissors for about $2-$3 a set. They are very good. Good enough for fabric. And they sell ( or did) a sewing kit for about $7 with shears that are fabulous. As good cutting as scissors four or five times as expensive.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 PM

Before married I bought a very expensive pair and ruined the blade on neting for the petticoat of my wedding gown. I sent them to the company and paid a hefty price to be redone. Since then they lay in storage for only very fine satins and silks. I've found for everyday use inexpensive- not the cheapest but not the top of the line wor just as well and I don't cry when one of the kids hapens to grab them or my husband uses them on a fabric that damages the blade. At the begining of the school year Walmart carries a pencil pouch size sewing kit for college bound kids averaging around 7.00. The scissors in them though not high quality are good enough for every day. When they get dull I run them through my round flint stone knife sharpener.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
My dad was a logger for many years. He was used to sharpening chain saw teeth. I reluctantly left my Ginghers with him, and when I got them back they were better than new. I turned around and gave him all of my kitchen knives, and OMG, what a difference! So, go find your self a logger. :-) :lol: :lol: :-D
Aah, that's the reason why my boyfriend is so good at sharpening knives, he used to work as a forestry worker.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 AM

if you dont get the correct angle on them, they wont cut. so sorry.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by verna2197
My DH decided to take it upon himself and sharpen my scissors I use for everyday stuff. Well now I can't even cut water with them. I have tried everything, tin foil, sos pad, even made him take them back to the garage to do his thing with it. No results. I am at my wits end. Don't know what to do

verna2197
Hancock has their Gingher scissors on sale for $21.00 or so. Find a store & get you some of these as well as a pad lock with a long tongue to lock them up with. Bad boy but he is sleeping with the dog.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:47 PM

One of my LQS's has a butcher shop next door that has some one come on a regular basis is sharpen the knives, so she gets her customers to bring their scissors is just before he is due to come and gets him to do them at the same time as he does the butcher knives.

I have been lucky, my dad has always done mine and like someone else said "Better than new".
Old 06-29-2011, 09:16 PM

I learned 60 years ago to hid my scissors from my husband.For some reason they just can't sharpon them right.Handquilter