Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did anyone else read this in McCall's mag >

Did anyone else read this in McCall's mag

Did anyone else read this in McCall's mag

Old 08-11-2010, 06:44 AM

As quilters, we gather information and inspiration from so many sources I have to wonder if any of us can make something truly original. Even if we design our own quilts, haven't we been influenced by what we've seen previously? I understand the protective nature of copyrights, but it all seems to have gone too far. :?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:50 AM

I like to make my own patterns. I have found it really easy to recreate antique quilts from some in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln collection. I wrote to ask permission to recreate for my own use. It was granted immediately. I have a great quilt (the B/W on this post), it's not copyrighted by anyone and I can show it anywhere I want.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:54 AM

Linda there was some info on another link that was about this topic
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55879-1.htm

I particularly think you should read the two comments/links posted on page one by scissor queen
Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Money talks. I dropped all quilt magazine subscriptions that did not allow a pattern in their magazine to be displayed after I make it. I don't buy quilt patterns that state do not display or sell the quilt you made from this pattern. I buy quilt books for the instructions how to make a pattern. Instructions are legal to use how you want but you can't copy the pages. EQ7 takes the place of all patterns so it's worth buying and learning. I don't mind at all spending my money on fabric instead of designer patterns.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:01 AM

That's a good point about the instructions in books.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:02 AM
JJs
Banned

I totally agree with Bellaboo - EQ it is!
I still have a problem with their "you have to have internet access" to install/use the program but at least I can do what I want, go where I want, with the quilts I design and make.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 AM

lol, well my best friend calls this the 'nanny state syndrome'. We have to be guarded and protected all over the place. hahaha oh I understand what you are saying. As long as folks can look at the stitching and placement, color changes it becomes a personal creation.......no copyright on that, is there. Just name it something different, but if asked, say you got the idea (not the pattern) from a magazine. No reference keeps you open territory, I would think. It would be different if you used a 'kit' and entered that quilt under your own tag. I agree, it is 'interesting'.

Blessings, Ruth
Old 08-11-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
Oops, here's a neat typo: prescription instead of subscription and I agree, I do prescribe quilting as a great therapy :) Oh, and you don't need my permission to print this reply ;o)
:-)
Old 08-11-2010, 08:10 AM

I really don't have a problem with the copywright cus I don't think I have ever made a quilt exactly like a pattern. A quilt teacher told me once..."Its your quilt, not mine, change whatever you want" and I do. I'm just wondering if this includes if you use the same fabric???? number of borders??? etc. further in the article it said you could sell a quilt made from someone elses pattern...????
Old 08-11-2010, 09:10 AM

Most people wouldn't give a magazine ownership or part ownership of a copywrite anyway. Most of the time it's just for one time use. If McCalls ask for any part of ownership I sure wouldn't be sending them any of my patterns or pitures.