Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Did I get the lemon Juki 2200 Mini?

Did I get the lemon Juki 2200 Mini?

I've been playing with it on and off with different threads but this morning I decided to get serious with it. I hadn't been impressed at all because the stitches were awful right out of the box. I was expecting rainbows and unicorns and instead I got tin cans and mud. So this morning I oiled it, changed to a smaller needle, and wound a bobbin with my Aurifil thread and threaded it and off I went. Right out of the box it was awful...the stitches were straight for 6 or 8 stitches, then it would make a little jump over to the side about a thread and stitch another 5 or 8 stitches. I've never seen anything like it. This morning I've been experimenting with the tensions and I just can't get it to look good in any way. I've checked my threading and it's OK unless I'm a real idiot. The thing is that I have the tension so low that threre's no tension on the main tension control. You can see clearly that there is a big gap between the two tension discs, yet if I make it tighter it's too tight. And the thing is, with a machine like this, you can't set it back to factory settings. So I'm quitting for now because I'm so frustrated I'm almost crying. The nearest dealer is over two hours away. If I wanted to drive that, I would have bought it from that dealer instead of online. Anyone had problems like this?

I have constant tension issues with my Juki 2010Q. I have to keep the bobbin area totally free of lint and adjust the bobbin case tension all the time. I have wondered if I got a lemon too...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have the 2010, for a bit over two years. I do occasionally adjust my bobbin tension when using different threads, and then adjust the top to match ( I treat it the same as my LA). I do find that sometimes I take it out of the pretensioner, but more often I have to only use one hole on the three hole the thread guide. Other times I use two but so far I've never used all three.

If you have your top tension set at zero and are still having top tension issues, then check how you have it threaded. Somewhere along the way the thread is catching. BTW - I do have the most problems with Aurifil as to the extra thread guides themselves add too much tension.

I don't keep my bobbin area lint free, but find the Aurifil thread is some of the lintier stuff I use. Not as bad as some though . . .

As to it "hopping" over when stitching, that sounds like a misalignment between the foot and feed dogs. You may need to take it in and have them loosen the presser foot bar and rotate it a slight bit. This is not a big deal do so at home if you understand the mechanics of the feed system.

I'll add - I treat my Juki 2010 a lot more like I treat my LA than a regular domestic machine. Which means I adjust the bobbin and top tension a lot, and mess with the thread path depending on the thread I'm using. But once set for that thread, I don't have to deal with it while sewing.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I have the 2010 and love it. I also had tension issues when I first started. Had looked on line for info and found that I had to loosen the top all the way then tighten a little at a time. Also did this with the bottom tension. After playing around with it for awhile, I now have no problems. It was a learning curve for me with 2 tension areas. I am used to having a machine from the box and not having to mess with the tension. Not so with my Juki. I love my machine and have no problems with it now.

Blog Entries
    Where online did you purchase it? Is returning an option?

I sewed on my new 2200 mini yesterday and other than having to slow down when using Invisifil thread, I had no issues. I'm going to ask about tension adjustment when I go for my guide class, but other than that I had no issues at all when I quilted my pillow top and played around with it yesterday. Nice straight stitches, no jumping off track.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I would suggest that you try another thread. I have heard others say that Aurifil is a thread that that specific machine does not like. I too have a longarm and it is true that those mechanical machines do not sew well with certain types of thread. They are very finicky and are completely different from computerized machines with automatic tension sensing. Don't give up, hang in there and you will be quilting like a pro very soon.

Blog Entries
    Do you have high humidity???

Just use the three hole bar as a guide. I use the middle hole, no tension on it.

The first thread I ran through it was Mettler cotton, which I have lots of but no longer like. I then switched to Mettler Poly, which I've gotten as freebies along the way. The Juki just laughed at me. Then I tried Superior 50 wt. cotton...pffttttt. Then I tried with Aurifil and here's the last line of stitching I did. This is stitched at 2.0 which is my usual for piecing. It's not too bad. There are some good suggestions here that I think I'll try. Maybe it's like most other basic mechanical things and needs a break in period. Battle Axe, the humidity in my room varies between 45 - 60%. I have a paralyzed vocal cord so I need a higher humidity. How does humidity affect sewing? All the rest of the features I love....solid, good weight for my table, pretty, love the needle up and down and the cutter. I bought a set of LED lights to make it brighter. That's a game for later though.
    Name:  IMG_7458.JPG
Views: 1502
Size:  113.0 KB

I'm sorry to hear of the challenges you're having. I've had zero tension issues and am just finishing up a large twin quilt top using 50wt Aurifil (top and bobbin) with excellent results. I thread through the 1st and 3rd thread guide/holes (always) and usually piece at 2.2-2.6 stitch length with tension just over 1.0 and get beautiful results. I'm partial to microtex 80/12 for piecing and 90/14 for FMQ - not sure if that's the correct needles to use but it's what's worked for me so far.

I hope she's not a lemon and that you'll find the sweet spot that works for you because truly the 2200QVP mini has been a sweet machine for me.

Good luck! Christine
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

The stitching looks great to me.

I have an older Juki TL98QE and have not any problems with it. Bought in 2008. I hope I never have to replace it. I bought it online also. I use connecting threads thread, coats & clark and machine quilting thread. It sews up a storm. My 2.0 stitches are smaller than yours, that is a good thing for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    it looks like your top tension is a little tight (but not really bad!). problems with bobbin tension usually are a top tension adjustment; top stitch problem is usually a bobbin issues--general rule of thumb only!

I'm so sorry to hear about your machine troubles! The stitching on your sample looks good to me as well! It sounds like it might need a service maybe? My Juki 2010 doesn't seem to picky about thread, she does like to be oiled frequently and have the dust in the feed dogs cleaned out whenever I change needles.

I would return it!

I have the Juki 2010Q and have not had a tension problem at all. It ran smoothly right out of the box. However, I've only had it about 8 months.
    I hope you didn't or if you did can get another one maybe? Most online sewing machine shops are very reputable. Good luck!

Make sure you have the proper foot on. Bought a new Janome months ago. When I recently tried free motion, my stitches were awlful. The store forgot to tell me my model Mach. Required a special darning foot and walking foot. All is well now after purchasing same. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
    The nearest dealer is over two hours away. If I wanted to drive that, I would have bought it from that dealer instead of online. Anyone had problems like this?
    You really should be in touch w the online retailer you purchased it from, and have them do right by you as it is their responsibility since they sold it to you. There are some online retailers who sell refurbished, or open boxes, or seconds confident that they get the sale while the local dealer inherits (and has to pay to fix) the problem. It is actually unfair to put the onus on your local machine dealer if this is not where you purchased it.

Good luck in a resolution! Iíve owned a 2010Q for years and absolutely love it! The QVP 2200 Mini is the same machine.
    For me, it's about the process; the final outcome is incidental

Have you tried a light colored thread on darker fabric? I've never had a good looking stitch using dark thread. Something about a chemical process when dying the thread.

Juki 2200 qvp mini
    Set tension dial between 1 and 2
    Make sure bobbin thread case sits up in hand and flows easily
    Use 50 wt. 3 ply thread
    Use 100/16 Topstitch needle
    Titanium lasts longest
    Use palms to control work area
    Set speed to slow-medium so you can leave your foot completely down, then you will only have to concern yourself with controlling your hand movement
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-18-2019 at 01:45 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps