Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family?

My grandmother on my mother's side , did quilting, crochet, sewing and was a good cook. My mother did none of these things. I learned how to crochet from my grandmother. I also did baking like she did. I started quilting only 3 years ago, when I decided to finish some tops my grandmother had made and I keep them after she passed away.
    She passed away in the early 80's. My mother always said I was just like my grandmother in many ways.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bamamama
    I am one of 4 girls and the only one who sews or does crafts of any kind. Why should they when the can just call me! I used to get sick of being ask to hem things. I hate doing alterations!
    I have only 1 sibling a brother I guess he does crafty things he is a retired welder, he can and did make anything he wanted to.He is really artistic and can draw anything, photographic memory when it comes to things he sees and wants to make later.
    I sew, my mother, her sister, grandmother & ggrandmother on my mother's side sew as did a 1st cousin and her daughter, who does beautiful cross stitching.
    My daughter doesn't sew at all, nor my son, but they both know that mom will always hem or repair things for them. I too hate alterations, and I hate to do (sewing) hand work, so I only machine quilt. I guess I inherited the crafty gene. I only wish my daughter had and would even try.
    She has a new sewing machine my MIL left her when she passed away, but I know she will probably never use it. Oh well.

Blog Entries
    I love all kinds of crafts, love sewing crafts and quilts, but not clothing. My middle daughter wants me to teach her how to quilt so we can make a quilt together for our pastor. My husband sews. My mother sewed my sisters and my clothes as we were growing up and made quilts. I have two aunts that quilt. My grandmother could make clothes without a pattern. My grandmother and her three sisters all quilted. They even made a quilt for one of the presidents and sent to him and the First Lady.

I have 2 sisters and 3 brothers - I am the only one that has ever quilted but my mum is a very good seamstress and also does cross stitch and art, she is now making a quilt which is just lots of charm squares that I keep sending her!! she is 86 and pleased to be starting a new venture - her Dad was also an artist. None of my siblings sew but one of my brothers is very good working with wood and my eldest daughter makes her own corsets (self taught) and quite a few clothes

Blog Entries
    Both my sister and I are crafty, just in different ways. She does scrapbooking and I quilt and sew. I just don't have time to give to both and I LOVE fabric :thumbup:

I am an only child and inherited my mother's and her mother's "clever" genes, also my aunts'. Unfortunately my daughter would be flat out sewing on a button (but she can write great poetry and stories and is a fantastic and loved schoolteacher - she got those genes from her paternal grandmother), and of 2 grandaughters and 3 grandsons, one GD is very appreciative and loves what I make her and one GS is very artistic and is always interested in what I am doing and what I am going to make next. He might even be the one to inherit my favourite dollhouses. I live in hope!

My maternal grandmother taught sewing for the Singer Co. and made clothing for the wealthier folks in Olympia, Wa. Her husband was a carpenter and crafted beautiful things. My mom sewed all her life but had to quit recently as she is going blind. My brother, sister and I are all crafty. Only one of my dds is crafty, but both of them are incredible musicians and singers.

I am the only one that does any crafts. Stained glass, beading, sewing, quilting, card making etc.

One of my aunt sewed all of her life (clothes) and my other aunt cross stitched and did other crafts. My mom sewed (clothes) until her arthritis got bad and my grandmother loved crocheting. My dad use to build furniture and my brother does now.

So I guess it is in my genes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I posted earlier about our kids sewing/quilting, but was wondering, are the only one in your family that got the crafty gene?
    Do you have anyone to share your quilting passion with in your family?

in My family we have 3 girls...all of us sew, we have crafty genes on both sides..my dad sews, does leather work, lapidary, silversmithing, etc...and my mom does just about everything, but quilt!
    One of us girls does not quilt, but she sews garments that are amazing! My baby sister is learning to quilt and I can share that with her now..my daughter also quilts, so I share things with her.

WE all do many arts and crafts...I mean many!
    I'm the only one that likes to do crafts in my family!

I posted earlier about our kids sewing/quilting, but was wondering, are the only one in your family that got the crafty gene?
    Do you have anyone to share your quilting passion with in your family?

in My family we have 3 girls...all of us sew, we have crafty genes on both sides..my dad sews, does leather work, lapidary, silversmithing, etc...and my mom does just about everything, but quilt!
    One of us girls does not quilt, but she sews garments that are amazing! My baby sister is learning to quilt and I can share that with her now..my daughter also quilts, so I share things with her.

WE all do many arts and crafts...I mean many!
    My sister also quilts. It's great that we can share a hobby that we both enjoy. We get together when we can to quilt. :)

When I was growing up my Dad always had a wood working project going either in the basement workshop or out in the garage. My Mom always sewed, both clothing and Home Dec. projects. Later she finished needlepoint items for a local shop - all custom painted canvases. I got an Art Ed. degree. I taught for 8 yrs. I've sewn much of my clothing for many yrs., but haven't made any clothing since I discovered quilting 10 yrs. ago. I also do knit occasionally and used to cross stitch. I just took a fabric dyeing class, so that's another 'love in the works'. I've always had a weakness for fibers and fabric tho.

Blog Entries
    Well, my mother didn't sew, but she knitted, crocheted and did counted cross stitch. My sister was an excellent seamstress years ago. I got the gene from my mom. I don't know much about my dad's side. As far as my kids, they definitely got the gene from my side, because my husband's mother didn't do anything crafty.

Blog Entries
    Both my grandmothers quilted. One did only utility and the other only fancy. One crocheted well, but not artistically. The other did just fantastic work and made up her own patterns. She also did the most awesome tatting, again making up her own patterns. My mom hated to sew. I guess it skipped a generation as I do all but tatting (drives me crazy). Neither of my daughters are interested in needlearts at all. Perhaps one of the granddaughters???

Blog Entries
    My maternal side were all florists and very talented. My grandmother was a painter. My aunt was a wonderful quilter. I have 5 siblings, one is a florist and the rest do not do any crafting at all. I bet they could if they wanted. Many nieces and nephews are showing wonderful talent. My dd, too.
    They paint, sew, do photography or crochet. They create. Love it.

My maternal grandmother did everything crafty. She quilted (all by hand) and the only quilt that she purchased fabric for was a cathedral window that she entered into the state fair and won grand champion! She also tatted, sewed everything, including our Barbie clothes, curtains, my mom's clothes and her own clothes because she was a very big woman, (about 6 feet tall and weighed well over 300 pounds) so there wasn't much available for her to purchase then. She embroidered, crocheted....oh I could go on and on. I was too young to be with here when she died, but my mom said her hands weren't even still while she died. My mom was also very crafty and artistic. She did counted cross stitch, sewed and played with many other crafts. Therefore, my sister and I are both crafty. We both quilt, scrapbook, make cards and I have dabbled in so many crafts I can't even count. My oldest daughter is very artistic and crafty.

Grew up during the depression in Kentucky. We were poor but then so was everyone else You made what you needed or did without. My DH was crafty also and all four of my sons love to build race cars, motorcycles and work with wood. Together, there's not much we can't do.

I'm one of 6 girls - we're all crafty but so far I've only been able to recruit two others into quilting. I'm working on the rest though. My sister and I have started "hosting" a "crafting frolic" at her church every three months - it runs from Friday morning through Saturday evening and we invite anyone who's interested in attending. We have such a wonderful time sharing our completed projects, we learn so much from each other.....and I'm just tickled looking forward to one next weekend. I think there'll be at least four of the six of us sisters there this time.

My aunt and her daughter both quilt; my other aunt and her daughter both sing. My Mom has made a couple of quilts, but her love is needlepoint and has designed a technique all her own! My Dad was in construction and I inherited that enjoyment from him. My sister knows a needle from a hammer, but knows not what to do with either. My DH and I are both upholsterers, but he has no interest in sharing my quilting passion.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laughingquilter
    I'm one of 6 girls - we're all crafty but so far I've only been able to recruit two others into quilting. I'm working on the rest though. My sister and I have started "hosting" a "crafting frolic" at her church every three months - it runs from Friday morning through Saturday evening and we invite anyone who's interested in attending. We have such a wonderful time sharing our completed projects, we learn so much from each other.....and I'm just tickled looking forward to one next weekend. I think there'll be at least four of the six of us sisters there this time.
    that is awesome...we did those in AK, but not here in OK...I really miss my sewing time with friends...away from the house!

Blog Entries
    Well, actually my sister is the crafty one. By that I mean that she scrapbooks, makes greeting cards, can crochet a little bit, etc. She LOVES just about any craft there is out there!! I'm the one who sews, but I also do some crocheting. I don't consider sewing a "craft" or "crafty" -- at least by my definition. :wink:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pab58
    Well, actually my sister is the crafty one. By that I mean that she scrapbooks, makes greeting cards, can crochet a little bit, etc. She LOVES just about any craft there is out there!! I'm the one who sews, but I also do some crocheting. I don't consider sewing a "craft" or "crafty" -- at least by my definition. :wink:
    sewing is a craft...I know many who have talents else where, but can not sew anything!

Blog Entries
    My maternial grandmother sewed and crocheted. None of her kids did any sewing or crafting. None of my sibblings do any sewing or crafting. My sister always says why would you want to do that when you can just go buy it already made.

I have one daughter that does crochet occasionally. Other than that I am the only one

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pab58
    sewing is a craft...I know many who have talents else where, but can not sew anything!
    I didn't mean it the way it sounded I guess. :oops: I take the word "crafts" to mean working with scissors, glue, beads, yarn, silk flowers, and those types of supplies. In my mind I put sewing in a different category. I don't value what I term crafts any less than sewing, but I just define them differently. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone so if I did, please forgive me. :oops: Give me some beads, and I can't do a doggone thing with them, but give me fabric and I'm off!! :thumbup: :lol: :oops: Wish I could make the many beautiful things that so many others can, but I just don't have the talent. :wink:

When I read your question I thought right off the bat, yes, I'm the only one in the family with the crafty gene. Then after reading some of the replys had to alter that thought. My mom introduced me to crochet, knitting, sewing....but she did it as a necessity, not for fun. She knitted mittens, hats and scarves to keep us warm, sewed and altered our clothing to keep the 5 of us kids from growing out of them...re-purposed things to keep from buying new. These are the crafts that now bring me joy. I am thrilled to have introduced my mother to cross-stitching....something she enjoyed and created many beautiful pieces before her eyesight gave out.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast