Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family?

My grandma made all her clothes and when I was young mom made all the clothes for herself and us kids.She said she use to help her mom make quilts.I love to sew all kinds of things. My daughters do not sew but are very artistic and creative .Youngest daughter just graduated college and is a Biomedical engineer she loves designing things so very creative in a different way. Middle daughter is very talented
    artist.

My grandma made all her clothes and when I was young mom made all the clothes for herself and us kids.She said she use to help her mom make quilts.I love to sew all kinds of things. My daughters do not sew but are very artistic and creative .Youngest daughter just graduated college and is a Biomedical engineer she loves designing things so very creative in a different way. Middle daughter is very talented
    artist.

Both my mother and my sister were crafty people; my mom did stuff like weaving, knitting, crocheting, etc., my sister tried her hand at alot of different things too. They are both deceased now, so I really enjoy the Guild I belong to, as well as this Board. But, its interesting, I have 2 sons. My youngest is a Mechanical Engineer, only 28 yrs. old, and he loves to design mechanical stuff. I listen to him and he's telling me all these ideas for projects he wants to work on, and I'm thinking, so do I, its just a different medium...kinda cool huh? His dad doesn't have a creative bone in his whole body....

I'm one of seven,and 5 are crafty. My Mum was,and 2 of my three children are.4 out of 5 grandchildren are,including 3 boys. I'd say it definately runs in families.

My maternal grandmother quilted, and did all kinds of needlework. My paternal grandmother knitted and crocheted. My mother was an excellent seamstress

my mom was always a sewer made my clothes when little etc so i learned from her at a early age and have been sewing ever since

I am pretty much the only one of 4 girls that does any sewing. One of my sisters does doll clothes for her granddaughter's dolls, but not very well. I scrapbook, quilt, make kids' clothes, specialty clothes such as flower girl dresses, cross stitch, embroider by hand and machine, needlepoint, crochet, knit, etc. None of my sisters are really as attached to crafts like I am.

I am pretty much the only one of 4 girls that does any sewing. One of my sisters does doll clothes for her granddaughter's dolls, but not very well. I scrapbook, quilt, make kids' clothes, specialty clothes such as flower girl dresses, cross stitch, embroider by hand and machine, needlepoint, crochet, knit, etc. None of my sisters are really as attached to crafts like I am.

I am the only one in my immediate family who crafts..my daughter is not interested but my sisters daughter is...so there is some carry over at least...my mother did not do any kind of crafts so maybe it skipped a generation in our family

My sister and I both sewed and quilted like our Mom and grandmother. We also crocheted and I do cross stitch. My sister also drew pictures. My older brother was a master in woodworking and then became a stonemason doing some ablsolutely breathtaking work in marble and taught my youngest brother the stone work, my middle brother picked up the musical talent my mom had and could play any instument he touched.

community benefactor
    I don't know where I got the crafting gene. My mother was too busy I think. Her mother did crochet even though she was almost blind. I have always done something, cross-stitch, embroidery, crewel, stained glass, jewelry, tole painting, crafty tee shirts, etc. I seem to have at least two going at any one time.

My son also took home ec, but I think it was to be with the girls. He learned to cook but not sew. However he did macrame hanging baskets one year and sold them. They were quite elaborate and he made pretty good money since mom bought they supplies!

My Grandmother quilted (beautifully), I have two sisters and I am the only one that quilts. I also paint pictures.

My great-grandmother was widowed and took in sewing, which was done by hand. She hemmed dresses that could be 9 yards around the bottom! My grandmother was a good seamstress, again a good hand sewer, and had a treadle sewing machine. My mother and her sister were always sewing something, either out of necessity for their large families or a quilt for enjoyment. I can remember desiring to sew and began hand stitching doll clothes at age 8. My mother had my brother and me embroidering dish towels when I was 4 and he was 6! I do believe it's a gene. We adopted our daughter and she is musical with no interest in sewing. We all have a talent, and it's important to use that talent, whatever it is!

My mom was crafty, I remember her making cakes, unfortunitly she was killed when I was younger so she never got a chance to teach me. Later in my life I was a single mom of 3 with no help from my exhusband so started making cakes to feed my kids(I didn't feed them cake, I sold them,,lol). I am still making wedding cakes and special occasion cakes and have tried many different crafts but nothing has stuck like quilting. I started about 6 years ago and than got a part time job at a Husqvarna Viking Sewing Gallery and learn alot. I love love love to sew! My youngest sister does crafts but no sewing.

My hole family are very crafty.

yes they come from my mum , she had to sew out of nessarity with 5 daughters to cloth , embroidery comes from my grandma she loved it I have lot of her work and treasure it .
    Cathy

My mom when she was alive used to draw really good. She also used to make little crafts like magnets that she painted. My aunt quilts and sews, that's how i got started. Other than that, not much in my family. My husbands family does alot of scrapbooking, sewing, quilting, crocheting and what not

Blog Entries
    No sisters for me. I'm the eldest, but my mother, maternal grandmother, and my paternal great-grandmother made patchwork blocks and quilted. I used to watch them as a little kid.

My Mom oil paints and has made quilts in her older years. My Mom taught me to sew by hand and I taught myself the rest. My sister is not crafty. My step-daughter caught the crafty bug from me and she is very talented. My other three girls, not really. So it's not genetic - ha ha!

All of my family are artists, sisters, DH & kids. My SIL quilts & my brothers are into motorcycles. My mom does alittle regular sewing & mending. I guess I got the sewing gene from my mother's mother. she used to draw dresses from what she saw in the store & catalogues & then cut out a pattern from a paper bag.

I do things with the GKs when they come, something crafty or cooking. Only one has sewn a pillow last year in quilt class, age 7.

My grandmother on my fathers side of the family, quilted blankets from shirts or woolen slacks. I have two of her quilts. I use to watch her when I was little. One of her quilts needs to be fixed because some of the wool has holes in it. Does anyone know of a quilter who fixes old woolen quilts or how I could fix it my self?

My mother like to crochet, knit and cross-stitch.

I crochet and make quilts. I use to make all my Xmas gifts when my two boys were young.

My mother was definitely crafty! My sisters have some artistic abilities, but don't always keep active with crafts. It's a choice to make quilts, not a necessity!

my mom and my grandma always sewed. clothes, curtains, everything. my sister and i do also. and scrapbooking, crochet. we try most everything. my boys arn't real interested, but my grandneice is. she's beginning to sew and craft.

My mom made clothes from scratch. Grandma did too. Grandma learned to knit and crochet in her sixties and taught me. I knit, crochet, sew and make all kinds of crafts but quilting is my favorite. One neice does all kinds of crafts and is very good at crochet. One neice has learned to quilt. Their mom is good at making clothes and crocheting. PS---We're all great cooks!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast