Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family?

Blog Entries
    Nope,I have 5 brothers.One of the wives sews but we don't talk. So I have just my Grandson when he comes to visit.Made his own quilt last time. He's my bud!!

Blog Entries
    I am the only one who really learned to quilt - some self taught as I was very young when my grandmother did piece quilting; my mother did applique and they all tied their quilts - none were hand quilted; I do have 2 sisters, and wish so much I could have some comraderie with them, doing sewing and the like- but I doubt it will ever happen; I do have a niece by marriage who wants to learn; so when she gets her little guy to the age where she can be more free to do things like that - I'll try to teach her to sew; simple things at first, like a table runner, or topper; and we'll go from there. I'm looking forward to it - but she won't need much help - she has a very good eye for color, and knits, crochets, and does stained glass; so a very talented young lady; just needs a sewing machine to learn how to sew on... and we'll work on that too.

Blog Entries
    I was the only one in my family that took up sewing and crafting. My sister finally started to quilt last year. I do all kinds of sewing and crafts and love it all.

I have a "kinda crafty" gene. My daughter has the "really crafty" gene. Even makes decorated cakes that are just incredible. She made me a Wizard of Oz - my favorite movie - cake for my birthday that included all 4 main characters. When I need that "special touch" on anything - she's the one I call. I have one of those pre-decorated, pre-lit Christmas trees that you just pull up in the middle and put in the "trunk" in. Well, she came over and fiddled with it - adjusting ribbon, twisting ornaments - and it looked totally different and better when she was done.

For me, it's genetic. Both gramas were crafty. One did some quilting, tatting, and fabric painting. The other taught me to crochet and embroidery, along with a bit of sewing. Mom did some sewing, liked to paint and sculpt too.
    I enjoy quilting (of course) and am self taught. I also still do embroidery, and cross stitch. I like beading and making jewelry, and a bit of painting.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Maternal Grandma was a milliner (hat maker) and a crafter of embroidery and crewel work.
    Maternal Grandpa was a blacksmith who could do fabulous metal work.
    Mom has a gift for the theatrical and she is literally gifted (she writes great stories and poems)
    Paternal Grandma used to crochet and I know she had a cathedral window quilt in the works when I met her.
    Paternal Grandpa made candle holders out of beer bottles and painted them.
    Father at least used to paint and he is a master gardener.

I am very fortunate that I am a crafty mutt. I got a little bit from all of them.

Of the three girls, I'm the only one to sew, quilt, crochet, knit, embroider, cross stitch, card making, etc. The other two (along with my mother) are couch potatoes! (LOL) What really gets my goat is that my older sister (I'm the middle one.) inherited my grandmother's treadle!! She uses it as a catch all!! I do have two treadles of my own, but she could have declined and given it to me!! Oh well! Like everyone else this is where I can vent and share quilting ideas!

I am the only one who is a proficient seamstress and crafter. My mother did sew but just the basic kind of stuff. My sister was never that great at sewing, however, she did fantastic tatted crosses and trims for pillowcases as well as very fine thread crochet. Unfortunately for me there is no one in my family that knows anything about quilting. So I really appreciate the people here on QB. Jeanniebelle

I have 2 sisters, 1 would write poetry, the other sang and wrote music. I do all the other crafty things. No one in my family quilts or quilted, except for my grandmother, so I have been told. There was a wedding ring quilt on my parents bed when I was small. My mother told me that my paternal grandmother made it. Grandma did knitting, crocheting, tatting to name a few. She had made her own dresses when I was little. My mother also sewed, she made halloween costumes for me. She made a dress or two. She helped me in home economics when it came to sewing. She ended up fixing the dress I was making (the teacher wrote home and told my mother she did a great job) she knew I didn't do it. To think, back then I did not like to sew. I did knitting, and crocheting after grandma taught me two stiches, I read up on others and learned them. Same as I am doing with quilting. Never had a class, just picked up the idea, looked on the internet, this group and here I am! I love to sew now

i have a 13 year old dg who likes learning to sew..i have been teaching her for about a year...i just gave her a small quilt and pillow case for her birthday..she actually made 3 of the squares.

My mother taught DS and me to sew early in life, as her mother and aunts did her. We have a much younger sister who would be challenged to thread a needle, much less a sewing machine. We sometimes joke that she was switched at the birth; however, I think we got the best end of that deal!

I have two sisters and one brother who are photographers. One of my other sisters quilts and sews, and yet another sister makes jewelery. My mother used to sew more than she does now, but still enjoys knitting and crocheting. My final two siblings, both brothers, are too busy with school right now to have time for a crafty hobby, though they both enjoy playing the guitar. A number of my siblings also enjoy painting. I never really thought about it before, but I guess we are a very crafty family!

Blog Entries
    I'm the oldest of 5 girls and the one my mother taught. My sisters didn't have any interest so my mom didn't put forth any effort. One sister tried quilting, but never seemed to finish any project. So I guess it's up to me which is a good thing because it helps keep me sane (I think....)

Blog Entries
    I definately got the skill from my grandma. She use to have a hugh quilting frame set up in her dining room and always had a quilt in the rack sewing on it. I inherited her tredle sewing machine but not the quilt frame and a couple of quilts. I love to do any kind of crafty stuff, always have. My half sister was a professional painter, the other half sister can play piano and organ by ear and loves anykind of tatting or crochet. Other two sisters dont do anything crafty, nor does my twin brother. Id go nuts without something to work on! :)

I have it, just not sure where I got it. My grandmother made quilts and sewed but out of necessity, so maybe from her. Before I was disabled I did woodworking, metal working, welding, car restoration ect. Now I draw, paint photograph new to quilting and trying like H E double hockey sticks to learn to sew.
    But nobody else in the family is crafty
    David

My Mother made all my clothes except underwear and socks. I got my first store bought dress when I was in the 12th grade. She also knitted slippers for us. She taught me how to read a pattern and sew. I made my first quilt when my Daughter was born. That was 33 years ago. Mom is now gone but I have her 1953 Singer sewing machine. One day I will post a picture of it.

Blog Entries
    As far an I know only a older cousin quilts! Her Mom my Aunt knitted! Mt DD1 is a hair salon owner so guess she is creactive there!

My Mom made many things. she sewed,knitted,crocheted.
    My sister does what ever I do. lol. Now im learning how to quilt and so is she. I love to knit,crochet,quilt. I do some scrapbooking too.

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantduster
    My mother always was sewing - out of 3 children, I am the only avid sewer and like Bamamama, I was the one to sew clothes, alterations etc for everyone; but this I loved and often did projects for 'customers' for many years. My mother designated a small room in our house for me to have for all my sewing equipment and stuff. One sister, out of the blue decided to knit and she is a beautiful knitter. Today my daughter has my mother's sewing machine and has made quilted pillows and lap quilts and crafty items. I do her alterations! and repairs. Wouldn't want it any other way. My husband is a jack of all trades and can do anything with a saw and hammer. I don't think this generation appreciates the satisfactions one gets from these activities when they can just buy a replacement.
    I have some friends who don't understand why I want to buy what they call "old worn out furniture" and restore it and not just go out and buy new pieces.I try to tell them that the older furnture is made of solid wood and will outlast their new pieces but they don't or don't won't to understand.I enjoy bring the beauty back to a piece of furniture that has been neglected.

Blog Entries
    My mother was a beautiful seamstress, but never quilted. She sewed my snowsuits out of old fur coats that were given to her. All of her sewing was done with no patterns. Same with her crocheting. I love to sew, but would never win any blue ribbons. I admire the beautiful work pictured here and then am happy to do my "best that I can" when I am at my machine.

Quilting was pretty much handed down through the fanily. Sometimes it stuck,sometimes it didn't. But there was some sort of crafting in everyone.My great grandfather made wood furniture and he passed that down to any boys who wanted to learn.As a result I have some beautiful handmade furniture in our home,even my daughter's cradle was handmade.My older daughter makes fantastic crocheted afghans, and is starting on kniting. My youngest daughter say's she can't sit still long enough to do our kind of craft,so she loves to cook.She keeps us fed and the coffee pot filled.She is a bit OCD though.I keep my rulers and templates according to the ones I use the most.I can always tell when shes been on on one of her organizing spells cause my rulers and templates and others equipment are all different to how I use them.

Quote Originally Posted by SueJ
    There are 4 of us. My aunt who I am very close to is an avid knitter so she taught me to knit. My 1 sister has mechanical abilities, give her a broken car & she can fix it where I have no interest or desire to get my hands greasy. She takes after our father who was a diesel mechanic his whole life. My youngest sister does alot of tile work & I can't think of what it's called right now, where you break up tiles & then arrange them in a picture. I am the only quilter (very new at it) but I also cross stitch & have crocheted. My brother doesn't have any of the above skills. My mother has never done any kind of crafts.
    I think it's called mosaic tile work,at least that what we call it in Southwest Virginia. I had 2 glass topped end tables and I replaced them with maosaic tiles.All I did was put a piece of plywood in the opening and then take some old dishes and saucers that I found at yard sales and put them in between 2 pillow cases and took a hammer to them, and broke them up.
    After that you just put down tile putty and arrange you pieces and spread your grout. It made such pretty endtables that I did my kitchen table. I even let my nephew,niece,and daughter help.

Quote Originally Posted by samsews
    Quote Originally Posted by SueJ
    There are 4 of us. My aunt who I am very close to is an avid knitter so she taught me to knit. My 1 sister has mechanical abilities, give her a broken car & she can fix it where I have no interest or desire to get my hands greasy. She takes after our father who was a diesel mechanic his whole life. My youngest sister does alot of tile work & I can't think of what it's called right now, where you break up tiles & then arrange them in a picture. I am the only quilter (very new at it) but I also cross stitch & have crocheted. My brother doesn't have any of the above skills. My mother has never done any kind of crafts.
    I took that idea and made a mosaic tile quilt and when a customer saw me quilting it offered me $150 for it (couch quilt). Another one came in and offered me $200 for it. So it told me I would make 2 but they wouldn't be exactly alike. So I made $350 out of broken dishes that I paid $2.00 for!

It's me again. You can also do counter tops and backsplashes that way too. I went to DIY online and got the instructions. It is really really and you will have a one of a kind table.

I think it's called mosaic tile work,at least that what we call it in Southwest Virginia. I had 2 glass topped end tables and I replaced them with maosaic tiles.All I did was put a piece of plywood in the opening and then take some old dishes and saucers that I found at yard sales and put them in between 2 pillow cases and took a hammer to them, and broke them up.
    After that you just put down tile putty and arrange you pieces and spread your grout. It made such pretty endtables that I did my kitchen table. I even let my nephew,niece,and daughter help.

My mother sewed out of necessity. My oldest sis and I are crafty, she sews some, knits, crochets, but doesn't quilt. My aunt was into all kinds of crafts and sewed some but didn't quilt. One of my daughters started quilting a couple of years ago. The other can't sew a thing.

I inherited artistic ability and crafting ability from my great grandfather who moved here from Germany, started a wax factory, (back in the 1800's) and made candles and wax flower arrangements in wax eggs. Beautiful realistic flowers that I was fortunate enough to see when I was a small child. I have a son who is very gifted in drawing and painting, and another son who is gifted in being able to fix anything!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast