Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 PM

Yes, I took Home Ec and loved it years ago. That is how I learned to sew a little. Wish girls could still have this class. I guess I'm old fashioned but I think some things should not change. We also learned to cook a little, good manners and also good poster to help make you look thinner. LOL. :mrgreen:
Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

i started sewing when i was 8 in 4-H---yes- i did sew in home ec in school but sewed more in 4-H; made all 3 of my brother's 3 piece suits for Easter when i was 13...pants, vest and jackets. made my first quilt in 1976- but then continued to make clothes while my kids were growing up- did not become an avid quilter until about 2004....now getting me to mend something takes an act of congress :)
Old 08-29-2011, 03:29 PM

no by the time i was in jr high or high school home ec no longer existed as a class.

i taught myself to sew. i just bought a machine one summer and got down to business.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:29 PM

Jr High for me. I'd been cooking for years but not sewing.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:32 PM

No. I began sewing in 4-H when I was 9 years old. My first project was a "tea towel" with the hem sewn in by hand.
Then I made an apron with three pockets in the front. Helped my mom do mending, etc. By the time I got to Jr High and Home Ec, I picked out a tailored jacket and skirt to make.

Love to sit at my sewing machine and make stuff, just don't have enough hours in the day.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:34 PM

I learned to sew at age about 8 and so was also ahead of kids in my sewing classes and made pink and black pj in 8th grade and had to wear them in style show in front of school that was around Elvis and pink and black so in style and in 9th grade made green and white check dress with 4 widths of 36" fabric in shirt and teacher wanted me to baste in the hem before I whipped stiched it and I told her that I had been sewing for all those years and I was not going to baste in hem on just straight width of material so she said ok as long as I got it straight and I made an "A"
Old 08-29-2011, 03:36 PM

I just passed home ec. Loved the cooking, soap making but hated sewing. The nun told me never ever try to become anything in the sewing field. She did tell my father that my future children would never have decent clothes. Happily my kids did have decent clothes cause once I had a family I enjoyed sewing for them. Here in Queensland, grade 8 students do have a short course in sewing and cooking. Students can go to year 12 doing a hospitality course.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 PM

I basically taught myself to sew. My grandmother sewed doll clothes with us when she visited (on a machine SHE bought to keep at our house LOL) and my parents didn't sew at all. They redid the curriculum while I was in middle school so I missed the sewing class.

I mostly learned to sew when I was a color guard instructor sewing flags all night between competitions. Cut my teeth on lame' and ripstop nylon!

(Tip on sewing lame': wear a mask. Those fibers will decorate your lungs very nicely otherwise.)
Old 08-29-2011, 03:45 PM

My mother sewed my sisters and my summer clothes when we were young. We used to have a library by us that had sewing lessons every week, and I went for years. Sewed most of my own clothes when I was younger and thinner. I went to a small Catholic High School that was above a church. Only about 200 girls in the whole school. We had sewing Freshman year, and that was it. Easiest A I ever got. We had no cooking classes. I tell DH that is why I don't cook to this day. Luckily, he loves to cook, and does about 95% of it.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:45 PM

I sewed 6 years in school and hated it. First we sewing with no thread in the needle following the strait lines on paper. That was 1962. Never thought I would sew. I made my own diapers for my kids and Barbie clothes and my own clothes while I was still thin. Five years ago I got a new Pfaff sewing machine and started paper piecing. Right back where I started sewing lines on paper.