Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:52 PM

My Mom sewed some but I took Home Ec/Sewing in Jr. High and High school. My first project was a very simple pull-over blouse. My last project in high school was taylored and lined wook blazer. Wish I still had it.

I also took a cooking class but don't remember much from it. I really dislike cooking so maybe that is why. LOL!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:53 PM

Took Home Ec in HS and almost failed. I wouldn't do thing in the order the pattern guide said to when I knew other ways were faster and saved fabric. Teacher didn't like my being a rebel. Guess I'm still that way with patterns (even quilt patterns). Of course, sometimes it gets me in trouble.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:55 PM

I had sewed before Home Ec and always loved doing it. Many clothes for me in high school and then for my 2 sons up until they were in the 6th grade or so.

Now I'd rather kiss a snake than do any mending.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:56 PM

Mom taught me, but I also had Sewing (Home Ec) in Junior High and in High School. My first project in JRH was a skirt. The teacher scoffed at my choice ... a wrap around (easy) in wool (hmmm) with a liner (that was the part she scoffed at).

It came out beautifully. It was a classic design and held up so well I was wearing it well into my 20's. Until one day ...

I was working in downtown Chicago. It was Halloween. We three girls were wearing funny noses - mine was a pig. People were laughing and us three were eating it up. Until ... one of the girls noticed the people were not laughing at our noses - they were laughing at my wrap around skirt which had become unwrapped exposing all of my back end.

ahhhhh ... memories.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

no learned during summmer at rec.center catholic school didnt have home ec back in my day
Old 08-29-2011, 03:59 PM

6th grade I made a pillow. Went fine.
9th grade I had to make a skirt. Dropped yoke, gathered skirt, pockets...it was awful. I sewed the top seam to a side seam and had the pockets hanging off the bottom. The poor home ec teacher just shook her head and handed me the seam ripper, my best friend. I did a lot of unsewing on that skirt!
Our class project was making a trip around the world baby quilt. I loved sewing straight seams without backstitching. To this day I have to force myself to try something different than a pieced quilt with straight seams. I've been meaning to sew pj's for my son for the past two years...I'd rather clean the bathroom.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 PM

I helped the teacher teach some of the other girls who didn't know how to sew. I don't ever remember not sewing. My mom and both grandmothers taught me.

they dont teach sewing anymore in school just a bit of cooking and parenting. they have realy dumbed down the education system.

Actually my old home ec teacher is now the quilting teacher of the classes I take. I think I was in one of her first classes when she first started teaching. She inspired me then and she still does!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:08 PM

Yes, that is where I learned to sew. The school I went
to was in a small country town and the school was first
grade all the way to 12th grade all in one building.