Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Didn't plan ahead - need help now! >

Didn't plan ahead - need help now!

Didn't plan ahead - need help now!

Old 01-07-2014, 03:45 AM

I love making samplers and I find that using either a white on white or white on ecru or ecru on white sashing works for me. It brings out the sampler pattern and then I would use the maroon/burgundy for the border. Just my taste, but your samples are delightful. I love the 1/2 square triangles, squares and rectangles and just love to watch a bunch of cut pieces of fabric turn into something lovely. You do good work!!!!! Edie
Old 01-07-2014, 03:55 AM

I was going to suggest red/maroon also. Very pretty quilt by the way
Old 01-07-2014, 04:06 AM

Some very pretty blocks! I love that gold one! It will be striking however you choose to finish it.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:45 AM

I like this idea a lot! But that's me.. the on point idea I think would make them all look even more beautiful
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Just mulling this over. Since you have several shades of neutrals, how about a tonal that has a beige print on white or vice versa. Or if you could find it, a very light beige/off white/white tiny print? Too much light?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:48 AM

Your quilt blocks have the country look to them and the ecru or muslin would look fantabulous.
Originally Posted by Edie View Post
I love making samplers and I find that using either a white on white or white on ecru or ecru on white sashing works for me. It brings out the sampler pattern and then I would use the maroon/burgundy for the border. Just my taste, but your samples are delightful. I love the 1/2 square triangles, squares and rectangles and just love to watch a bunch of cut pieces of fabric turn into something lovely. You do good work!!!!! Edie
Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 AM

If you have enough fabric of each block narrow sash each with one of the colors on it, then maybe on point, but first wide sash with a common dark color or even blk.......maybe????
Old 01-07-2014, 06:14 AM

Hi Lee
Just wanted to say you are right up the road from me, I'm in Cumberland.
Also FYI when ever you buy reds or black, you have to take some pieces that you have on hand with you to be sure the shades are the same or play together nicely. Those 2 colors have always been a bear to work with if you run out and need more. I found a black that I really like and NOTHING compares to that piece so I keep a square of it tucked away so when I do need a good solid black, I can match it to that piece. As far as the red, I look for anything (fabric, paper, book or whatever) and take that with me to be sure what ever I buy either matches what I really want or plays well with the other fabrics that I'm using. I'm sure there are other fabrics like that but for me these two are the worst to find.

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
Thank you for all these ideas! I did try what I thought was a maroon, but it turned the block colors closer to a burnt orange tint. Dark brown might be the answer. I never plan ahead, to be honest, but have always "gotten away with it" heretofore. I am sure this will work out somehow, too.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I would go with a dark chocolate or red. Would add warmth and make it pop. Great sampler!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:37 AM

I cut some horizontal sashes 2" wide, out of a light cream sheeting. I will see if vertical sashes of the same fabric look okay without cornerstones, or will add them, maybe in different colors... If anyone ever needed to use her design software it sounds like I do! Thank you all so much for your ideas and examples!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Personally, I like the tan on the right for sashing. It doesn't overwhelm the blocks. Sashing doesn't have to be 2-1/2". You can make it whatever size you want.