Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Digital quilt magazines and Wow! >

Digital quilt magazines and Wow!

Digital quilt magazines and Wow!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:00 AM

My DH has the Kindle and he loves his! I do have a Acer Net Computer (a small one w/ a windows operating system. I love it! But the Kindle Fire really seems like it would be great companion for reading AND more applications - would need my husband's help to learn the extras! Thanks for information.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by leaha View Post
ah can see another Kindle in my future, a fire this time. LOL love my Kindle!!
I might be right there with you on this one.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 AM

I've been doing some Kindle research because I do want to purchase something. I don't "read" a lot anymore but I listen to tons of audio books in the car and while I'm sewing. However, I found this interesting little book on Amazon for 99 cents.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_myk_ro_title

You have to download it to your Kindle or to your Kindle reader. It is easy to get the reader from Amazon. I have a MacBook Pro and just downloaded the reader.

Anyway, I found that book quite informative and I was excited when I saw the pdf capability as I know that would be useful to me in many ways.

For those of you who have the older Kindles you might also want to look at this book because the really older ones come with free 3G forever and Amazon doesn't offer that anymore.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Ha ha! I find that cartoon really sad, tho... I love real books.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 AM

I don't know. My brother asked me if I wanted one and I declined. I Like my books and magazines, well I only get one magazine now,Quilting Arts. I go to the library to get books,its one of my few times I see people , and I just can't see curling up in bed, before I go to sleep, with a Kindle.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:01 AM

I don't have a Kindle, though I do have Amazon's Kindle for Mac software. I do have one problem with patterns & the Kindle software. I don't see any way in which to print a pattern. This is a big problem when it comes to applique designs.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

http://www.kindlefirewire.com/ has great info.

At Amazon home page click All Departments. Kindle. Kindle Books. On top right page the last tab is Kindle Support.

The Discussion group on the Kindle book page has users asking questions about every version of Kindle and everyone answers. Like this board does.

The uploads to your Kindle Fire goes to the cloud at the manage your Kindle page at Amazon. You can download the file anytime to your computer to print any or all pages. The digital magazines have pages numbers. You select print and select send to Kindle. The pages go to the cloud, then downloaded to your Kindle. You can download the whole magazine to your computer or Kindle or just one page or leave it online You can print pages from your computer when accessing the digital subscription. I subscribe to Fons and Porter and Quiltmaker as digital subscriptions.

No more explaining for me, the info is all there on the websites.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 AM

Well Bellaboo how do you print from the Kindle? I have one of the first ones that they put out and have not seen any way to print from it. Are you using the Kindle Fire that perhaps allows printing to a wireless printer. All these things are nice, but they can get expensive. I love downloading books and reading them on my Kindle. So easy to take with me, just keep it in my purse in a padded carrier and have it any place I have a few minutes on my hands, but don't think I can print from it, at least haven't found it yet if it is there.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I clicked on the pages of the quilt patterns I wanted to keep, selected print and then send to Kindle. I now have the patterns in beautiful color on my Kindle to use in my sewing room or anywhere I go.

The free send to Kindle program is installed in your printer options on your computer. You can't print from the Kindle. The files have to be sent to the Kindle ( through wi fi, the Kindle fire is not connected to a computer) online storage then auto uploads to the Kindle. I can print any file from my computer or any page from a digital magazine. My print options include print to pdf format so that make it even easier.

Honestly it takes just a minute to get a pdf on Kindle Fire. To clicks for me.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:57 AM

Great, now I gotta go buy a Kindle. I've heard great things about them and this is the best reason yet.