Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Digital quilt magazines and Wow! >

Digital quilt magazines and Wow!

Digital quilt magazines and Wow!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM

Wow, I am so wanting to get a kindle fire or an ipad. THe ipad three comes out the end of April. I love apple products but I am open to trying others. I may get the kindle fire because it is cheaper then the ipad. What great ideas you all have.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 AM

I got a Nook Color a year ago, before Fire came out. Love having all those books on hand, and can access net with it when I travel. I subscribe to a few magazines and love having it in my purse for waiting rooms. Someone pointed out how germy the magazines are in a doctor's office, so now I have my own electronic ones. Even got National Geographic, because I don't have to worry about them piling up on the coffee table. I have trouble throwing out old magazines. Now I'll have to try the quilt mags, too.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 AM

I still like my hard copies of my magazines and quilt books. Having lost my hard drive too many times, I would rather stick to the printed word. I don't find the Kindle to be very cost effective when you can buy excellent used books and magazines for lots less then they are charging. Just my opinion. It does take a lot of room to store all he printed books, but I can take them with me where ever. I don't have a Kindle and probably never will. Just the computer and I don't lug that around with me.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 AM

I love my color nook my son bought me!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM

I love my Nookcolor ! I haven't bought any e-magazines, maybe I'd better get on the stick ! LOL I use my Nookcolor for watching quilting tutorials etc., just love my e-reader.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
...You can't print from the Kindle. ...
Okay, now I see that for online magazine subscriptions, you can print patterns from the magazine, but not the Kindle. So to access a pattern after the subscription runs out, one would need to either print the pattern before the subscription ran out or renew the subscription.

I was wondering about purchasing Kindle quilting/applique books because they are cheaper than the equivalent printed copies. But that's not feasible if one cannot print a pattern!

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Now that would be the reason to buy a Kindle. I'm not a big reader even though I kinda wanted on, now I really do. Thanks for another unique gadget.
Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I really like the digital subscriptions. The are cheaper and I have access to past issues. Here is the fun part I learned today. I have a Kindle Fire and Amazon has the free program to send pdf files to the Kindle. I clicked on the pages of the quilt patterns I wanted to keep, selected print and then send to Kindle. I now have the patterns in beautiful color on my Kindle to use in my sewing room or anywhere I go. This is so great! I scanned pages from one of my quilt books in pdf and sent the file to my Kindle. I scanned pages from older magazines I had. No more carrying heavy books or tearing out magazine pages. The Kindle takes up hardly any space at all on my sewing table or next to my sewing machine and the pages don't have to be held open. I can make the type big enough to see across the room if I need to. I love my Kindle for quilting.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:48 AM

I would never give up the hard copies of magazines and books but sometime it would be nice to have something portable especially to have fabric requirements and notions close at hand when shopping.
Originally Posted by gypsylady5 View Post
I still like my hard copies of my magazines and quilt books. Having lost my hard drive too many times, I would rather stick to the printed word. I don't find the Kindle to be very cost effective when you can buy excellent used books and magazines for lots less then they are charging. Just my opinion. It does take a lot of room to store all he printed books, but I can take them with me where ever. I don't have a Kindle and probably never will. Just the computer and I don't lug that around with me.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 AM

This is in reply to countryone77....actually, once you purchase a digital magazine subscription, you download the magazine to your computer. That way, you can keep it forever, and transfer it to another device (Kindle, tablet, etc.) whenever you please. Some of the magazines include access to two years' worth of back issues with the subscription (I know F&P does, not sure about Quiltmaker).

Of course, I back up all of my electronic magazine copies on an external hard drive, as well as storing them on my computer hard drive. Better safe than sorry.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 AM

I have a COLOR NOOK, so I don't promise it works the same, but I just hook my Nook to the computer then drag the files into it. They store so I can see them on a book shelf. I usually rename them so I know what it is. Sure do wish you could add a photo to the PDF file folder! That would make things easy! :-)