Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Digital Quilting Magazines - what do you say? >

Digital Quilting Magazines - what do you say?

Digital Quilting Magazines - what do you say?

Old 11-16-2013, 04:20 PM

I prefer paper. I tear out the pages of patterns I like and put them in a plastic sleeve and file in a loose leaf binder. I like them so much more than digital. Most of my saved patterns are for inspiration and the rest of the magazine I pass on to another quilter.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:40 PM

I just started the same project, Dorismae, except i was just punching the pages. I got a little sidetracked, unfortunately, because I was using a full-sized sharpie to draw a line across the sides of the pages I wasn't really saving and a piece of the marker felt broke off and landed on the carpet. I didn't notice it right away, so quite a lot of ink stained it. . It's extremely low and flat, so i couldn't just cut out a few yarns. I did get it out, though (whew!).

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 11-17-2013, 05:46 AM

I too prefer hard copy mags.....I have the habit of writing notes on a pattern I am considering, like change size, colors, whatever.......I also write on the front cover of the mags the pages I am interested in.sometimes a mag comes in or I buy for just one thing, I make copy of that, then pass mag along at guild meeting.......I don't " trust" electronic devices....crashes or whatever can happened and I really don't need to save everything "forever" .........
Old 11-22-2013, 02:01 PM

I am now saving everything I can that is printed on any kind of paper The day is coming very soon that there will no longer be written words to save and books will be antiquated. Everything will be digital because it is actually less expensive and can reach more people because of it I like my magazines and books
Old 11-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Thumbs down to digital!

Anita
Old 11-23-2013, 06:59 AM

Our library now offers free digital magazines. One quilting mag is included. American Patchwork and Quilting. I looked at it twice, nothing in it I really liked. I paged thru it twice, got my quilt fix. : ) Worked for me.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:50 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
So here's a question from a computer-challenged person! I purchased my first digital quilt magazine last week-it was much less expensive than paper copy, and instant gratification! There was a specific pattern in the mag that I wanted. It is on my desktop computer....am I able to download it to my ipad? Desktop is not a Mac....would love to be able to browse thru the rest of the magazine in front of the fire!
I've bought magazines from my computer and then went to my iPad and put my email address in and was able to download the same magazine onto my iPad. You should be able to, also. If I have a question, my son always says"Google it". So "Google it" and figure out how to do it.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
When I'm on another device I open the magazine online just like on my computer. Go to the download or viewer link and open it. I have the Kindle Fire and that is a great price compared to what I paid when it first came available. Mine is several years old and no problems at all. There is an app for the Kindle that will send anything you can print from your computer to the Kindle. I scan book patterns to my computer and send it to my Kindle. I have it with me when shopping for fabric.
I have the Nook Color and also now two Nook Tablets and love to look at magazines on them. I'm trying hard to do away with the clutter. The nice thing about subscribbing online at B&N is that you get a great price, 14 day free trial and can cancel anytime and not pay a penny more even thought you subscribbed for the yr price. I also like my Nook because if I have an issue I can walk right into the store and get help, right there on the spot. I don't have to deal with people on the phone or online. Its harder for the people at alot of these companies to be rude to you when you are standing face to face. Plus I can go to the store and read any book in the place for an hour each day for free.