Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Digital Quilting Magazines - what do you say? >

Digital Quilting Magazines - what do you say?

Digital Quilting Magazines - what do you say?

Old 11-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Banned

Default Digital Quilting Magazines - what do you say?

I have never purchased a digital quilting magazine. I buy hard copies often though. They can quickly pile up too. Have you ever purchased a digital magazine? I am not sure if I would like reading the magazine online or not. I can see a pro for this in the fact that it does not take up space in my sewing room. Also it might be easier to save the patterns I want and trash the rest.
I buy many magazines and only really end up liking one or 2 quilts in the book.

But I do love to pour over the magazine - would it take away from my enjoyment by doing it on my computer?

Any experience you would like to share? I might just have to try it to see for my self.

Thanks
Terri
Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 PM

I have downloaded a few free copies or patterns. I say no, I forget about them and haven't quite figured out where they go. Maybe it's just my laptop, but I don't know where they are to find them. With a magazine I can pass it on, it I'm not interested in doing anything.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 PM

I've gotten a few freebie online subscriptions and prefer the print magazines. It just seems to be easier to see the details.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:39 PM

I think it depends on what you are viewing them on. On a Kindle Fire they look fabulous and it is small and book like to hold. On the computer the magazines look good, but I don't really want to curl up with the computer.

It's nice not to have the paper laying around and I LOVE, LOVE the search feature on the Kindle Fire. If you want a certain pattern, you can search by it's name in all of your magazines at once!
Old 11-13-2013, 02:40 PM

I would be more inclined to buy digital subscriptions because my kindle easily goes on my cutting table and I can one handed enlarge stuff for detail. I use my phone for stuff like qb etc which isn't ideal for magazines.

I also don't have space for a hard copy of a magazine.

Dangit df is gonna kill me now. I'm heading to amazon to look for digital quilting mag subscriptions. Lol
Old 11-13-2013, 03:04 PM

I download the digital copies of my magazines (most offer the digital copy if you purchase the magazine or you can opt for the digital copy instead of the paper copy) to both my computer (can print anything from there later if I want a hard copy) and my iPad. I use the iPad more because I can take it with me to the fabric store to check out matching fabrics from the quilt patterns in the magazine (errr iPad). Also, I usually have either my computer or my ipad with me when I go to appointments and if I get "on hold" I can go back re-read some of the magazines on these two devices. Now, I love the magazines, too. I am a retired teacher and still love the feel of the book.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:14 PM

I prefer the paper edition, but due to space considerations, I'm sticking with electronic versions PROVIDED that they don't require you to be hooked to the internet to access. I quit two subscriptions right away that required it. The reason is that I want to be able to print these patterns out 10 years from now and who knows if they will still have the access up for those, right?
Old 11-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

I've subscribed to the Quilt Pattern Magazine since it began -- digital only--- I love it- I save it on my computer, I can print off any pages I want- but do not have to have a whole magazine stacked up. when ever I want to go back to one all I have to do is open the folder & choose the one I want- and I don't have a bunch of pages on ads ect.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:26 PM

I still prefer paper. I must be a dinosaur, but that is what it is.

I do scan in the quilt top pics to a computer file and then the picture and directions into another file. That way I can do a slide show right at home and then share the magazines with friends.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:35 PM

I just bought my first digital quilt magazine. I bought a 32 gig jump disc and saved it on there. I thought when I decide what I want to keep and am finished reading it, I can save what I want and delete the rest
I have ask Santa for a fire for Christmas. I hope he comes thru.