Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Digital Quilting Magazines - what do you say? >

Digital Quilting Magazines - what do you say?

Digital Quilting Magazines - what do you say?

Old 11-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

It's more money I don't have to spend. There are so many free patterns. I got rid of a lot of magazines when I started on my sewing/ craft room. When I saw digital magazines introduced and got emails, I just deleted. I bookmark/add to favorites if I see something special. Basically, it boils down to I would really rather spend the money on a online class or material or new tool such as a save the money and get another machine.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:56 PM

It's also the magazine format. I dislike Zinio. I am not enabling or downloading extra programs on the computer just for a magazine. If they use PDF, OK. Some you can subscribe to via B&N, Amazon and Google. Don't know what formats they use.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

I have both, subscriptions and digital. I like the digital better. I can print out the patterns I want when I want them. I also have a Kindle Fire and can open the magazines on it and have all the info I need to shop for fabric for a pattern. Be sure if you get a digital subscription you are allowed to view the issues you pay for even if you drop the subscriptions. If you can't then don't subscribe. One thing I don't like is most of the digital versions are hard to find once you subscribe. The websites have the digital versions buried and I have to hunt to find them. I don't renew those.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 PM

I have two and like them both. Quilting Quickly and Quilter's World. Both are in pdf format. I download them to my computer and to an external hard drive that I can connect to my laptop to browse in the lvg rm if I want to. I don't like the Zinio format either. I bought one issue of a mag and discovered it was on Zinio and I had to either go to their site or download their program and it wasn't as easy to read it either. I did just sub to BG&H American Patchwork & Quilting....had a sub for a long time and then not, so did it again. Let my sub to F&P go...don't like the direction it's taking.

I like the pdf versions very much...you can make the pages pretty large and print out just what you want. Am sad that the winter QQ is their last one....do like it. I wonder if perhaps their arrangement with F&P didn't work out and maybe they'll come back with someone else. It was so full of F&P ads it got annoying.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
I did just sub to BG&H American Patchwork & Quilting....had a sub for a long time and then not, so did it again.
the print edition
Old 11-14-2013, 05:51 AM

So here's a question from a computer-challenged person! I purchased my first digital quilt magazine last week-it was much less expensive than paper copy, and instant gratification! There was a specific pattern in the mag that I wanted. It is on my desktop computer....am I able to download it to my ipad? Desktop is not a Mac....would love to be able to browse thru the rest of the magazine in front of the fire!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Quilting Quickly was too time consuming for Jenny to do. That is what was posted on her website. She doesn't have the time to devote to the magazine and do her other projects.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 AM

Amazon has the Kindle Fire HD for $139.00. Is that a good price to pay?

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I think it depends on what you are viewing them on. On a Kindle Fire they look fabulous and it is small and book like to hold. On the computer the magazines look good, but I don't really want to curl up with the computer.

It's nice not to have the paper laying around and I LOVE, LOVE the search feature on the Kindle Fire. If you want a certain pattern, you can search by it's name in all of your magazines at once!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

When I'm on another device I open the magazine online just like on my computer. Go to the download or viewer link and open it. I have the Kindle Fire and that is a great price compared to what I paid when it first came available. Mine is several years old and no problems at all. There is an app for the Kindle that will send anything you can print from your computer to the Kindle. I scan book patterns to my computer and send it to my Kindle. I have it with me when shopping for fabric.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 11-14-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:06 AM

Print editions, and, better yet, books. I'm in the process of putting what I love from the magazines in a binder, to reduce their volume.

I think we spend too much time hooked up to screens as it is. What future psychiatrists will say about this time and changes in the brain is anyone's guess.

JMO,
Charlotte