Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in current sewing project >

Disappointed in current sewing project

Disappointed in current sewing project

Old 09-10-2011, 10:10 AM

I think it is beautiful....I like the light.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:15 AM

I cannot offer any suggestions. But I do love your fabric colors. They are gorgeous. It will be an awesome quilt once you figure it out!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:22 AM

I think it is quite pretty - and I like the light as opposed to the dark.

Perhaps you could work some of the dark pink into a small border?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:37 AM

I really like the first picture. With the dark flowered border you said you were putting on it I think it will be beautiful.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:06 AM

The quilt is beautiful. I personally like the darker pink setting triangles. Sometimes, if I'm having trouble, I'll put a small, 1" or 1-2" strip between the quilt & the border. That seems to "stop" the eye for a rest & then I'll add a border. When I do add a border, I try to use a fabric already in the quilt. Either way, I wouldn't give up on this beautiy. It can always be given to someone who is in need of that beautiful work. Keep on quilting!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:15 AM

I'd use black for the triangles and maybe some thin sashing too. That might be enough to change up the color scheme for you-give the scrappy a little modern edge.
Oh, and congrats on your first UFO!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:16 AM

you could always arrange it with blocks together instead of on point like it shows in the picture as well... try many different configurations and there could be one that hits you just right.... if not then leave it for somother time and come back to it again and some other way to do that quilt may pop into you head other wise i would go with the first picture all light .... happy sewing :)
Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 AM

This sure does happen a lot. I have to put it aside and percolate on it while working on something else. Most memorably, it happened while working on two Yellow Brick Road ("YBR") Christmas gift quilts - the fabric combinations were perfect until I put the blocks up on the design board.

Below is the finished version of one of those YBR quilts. My eye didn't like the stark contrast of the light fabric, and when I asked my eye what it wanted to do, it said, "Fill in some of those spaces to blend them together for a better flow." So I picked up trimmed-off pieces from the floor and put them where my eye wanted to, satin stitched them on with a variegated teal thread and I fell in love with the results - AND, it was actually much better suited to the contemporary decor of my friend. I named this quilt "Detour on Yellow Brick Road."

And doncha know it happened again with the very next YBR quilt - hated the sharp contrast of the lights against the mediums and darks. I found some large scale floral print fabric using those same colors, so I did a broderie perse applique of large and medium sized flowers from the print and placed them where my eye wanted them to go. I didn't think to take a picture of it before wrapping it because I was still sewing on the binding in the car on the way to the recipents' house. But the broderie perse was a perfect solution to what was "off balance." The recipients fell in love with it and I had two more solutions to my design arsenal.

Detour on Yellow Brick Road
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254398[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-254392.jpe  
Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 AM

I like both, I think if you play with moving the blocks around and get the brown color more evenly distributed you might like it better, but like others have said, put it away and then come back to it on a later day. I do love the colors.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 AM

like the dark and lt mix