Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in current sewing project >

Disappointed in current sewing project

Disappointed in current sewing project

Old 09-10-2011, 07:57 AM

I certainly love the colors you've chosen and I like the quilt - I think the light goes best, but to each his own choice, but do not toss it away - if it really bugs you too bad, even down the road when you get to finishing it - give it to someone close to you as a gift - like someone in a nursing home, or a favorite grandmother, grandfather - a gift from you would be precious, and you'd no longer have to look at it and they'd cherish it - just cause it came from you.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by collydolly
I wondered if anyone else has ever been disappointed in a project they were working on? I'm fairly new to quilting and to the board (I read it every day!) I started a quilt with fabric that has been in my stash for awhile. I thought it was a no brainer because all the fabric came from one line and co-ordinates nicely. I have all the blocks made and spread it out on the floor and I don't like it at all! I thought it might be the color of the setting triangles around the outside edge so I went and bought new fabric for that and replaced them but I still don't like it. There's just something about it and I can't quite put my finger on it. Now I don't even want to finish sewing it together. I want to move on to my next quilt but feel guilty about wasting fabric and leaving it unfinished.
I love it! Beautiful fabrics and perfect pattern for them. I think the lighter is so much prettier, but that i just my opinion. Do you have enough of one of the darker main fabrics for binding? I hope you do finish it so we can see.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 AM

Many of my quilts have done this to me and I'm just sure it isn't going to turn out, but I don't quit I just keep going and they always turn into beauties. I love what you've done so far and with others suggestions and trusting yourself yours will be beautiful too. DON'T GIVE UP YOU CAN DO IT
Old 09-10-2011, 08:25 AM

I like it with the dark added. In the lower left side there are two squares in which the corners meet. The fabric is a dark print. It is the only one in which the corners meet. Could that be what is throwing it off? I actually like it with the corners meeting.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:26 AM

I'm OCD and no matter what I'm doing, I can't start something else without completing what I'm working on currently (with the exception of Deay Jane). I don't know why I've gotton this nutty. LOL
Old 09-10-2011, 08:28 AM

I could be wrong, but I'll bet you chose one of those prints as a "theme" fabric. Sometimes when I do that, it turns out to be the ONE fabric that's wrong. Try taking out the one you LOVE the most and see what you think. Add more of that magenta!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:28 AM

I like your second photo better. That's what I was going to suggest; change the setting triangles fabric for a "richer color" fabric. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:30 AM

I like #1 -- and if you add a border or binding in the darker color you'll see a world of difference!!!! And yes, I have TONS of UFOs for that very same reason!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:33 AM

Been where you are! Actually, the quilt is pretty! For my taste I probably prefer the lighter triangles but don't stop there. Try tucking different fabrics along the outside to use as a border and see what they do. Also, if you have enough of one of the prints, see how you like them in some of the triangles or as a border. Keep playing. You might just find that a fabric that almost makes no sense is the one that says "YES!"
Old 09-10-2011, 08:35 AM

another thought - (this is fun!)- consider a narrow border, maybe to finish at 1" in a dark brown, then play with a wider outer border in something else.