Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in current sewing project >

Disappointed in current sewing project

Disappointed in current sewing project

Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 AM

At a stash buster class I was told that it is better not to use all the coordinated fabrics from a group of line of fabrics. But I have trouble seeing colors so that's what I try to buy. I know my greens or watever go together. I think once it is put together you will like it better.
Now, if I really do have make something that is not a favorite - I put in my donate stack. Someone else may just love your quilt!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:59 AM

I like the first picture. Bet when the border is added it will look outstanding. Lay the border fabric around it and then look at it again. Then you can always set it aside and finish it when you get to it later.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM

like the first layout better...don't like that hot pink....can those blocks be turned, maybe that will give you a better inner design. Then, I think, it needs a small inner border of a dark color to keep it confined, then maybe the flower as a large 4 1/2"-61/2"final border to frame it. Just my take on it.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:25 AM

I really like the colors. I like the lighter setting triangles. You might use that darker fabric for a thin (1") inner border and then put on your outer borders. Keep going. It really is a pretty quilt.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:25 AM

Yes, absolutely I've had projects I wasn't very happy with. Fortunately, they've been presents so even if I wasn't happy with them, the recipient appreciated them anyway.

This is just my opinion, but I would try to balance the lt. purple more evenly through your quilt (this may mean ripping seams out - ugh!). I also like the maroon color as an accent. I more evenly distributes the purple throughout the design.

Good luck with it! I'm collecting crib and twin size quilts to help out my neighbors in Bastrop County who've lost homes. So if you still don't like it when you're through, please consider donating it. Someone here would be very grateful for it!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Yes, sometimes my "vision" does not exactly work out the way I hoped, so I have to adjust my plans. I like your first picture, but I can see that the setting triangle fabric sort of blends a little too well with the yellow print in your quilt ... SO ... whatever border color you choose will make a world of difference. If it were my project, I would not sew on the setting triangles until I found the perfect border fabric.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Welcome to the Board from Texas!!! You are surely new to quilting, so congratulations on becoming an "official quilter". To be "Official" you have to have an unfinished project or you are not normal.

Now, for your solution: I agree with the majority. Put it away and return to it later. You will have a whole new perspective. As far as an opinion, I like the first, light colored one best. It's lovely.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 AM

If you don't like it personally why not finish it and donate it to charity? Someone will love it!! It will look different once it's done and quilted. I like the first setting better. If you don't like it you can send it to me..I will love & care for it!! I need a new one for the back of my couch...my old one wore out after being used for 19 years..crafty_linda_b
Old 09-10-2011, 09:55 AM

I like the light and I never like my quilts until I finish them. In this case I think you need to get a border on it and that will help it a lot. You will probably need to interview several colors for the border. I often put several colors next to it, go do something else and come back and your first impression of that will probably be right.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:02 AM

To quote Pieceful Quilter:

BTW, welcome to the quilter's world of Unfinished Objects (UFOS), Projects in Grocery Sacks (PIGS), and Works in Progress (WIPS). I have several![/quote]

and of course, the Project Half done (PHd).. :lol:

We all have them, sometimes you will finish them and other times you will not...if it turns into a not after 1yr I pass it along to a guild member or other quilting friend to finish....start another project and let this one "simmer" in the back of your mind until you have your answer...

and I really like the way the darker setting helps the blocks come together and "pop"...