Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed at Joann's >

Disappointed at Joann's

Disappointed at Joann's

Old 09-20-2011, 05:02 AM

I just purchased black in a quilt kit made up at a LQS and it was sooo thin. I bought better at JoAnns. I try to buy yardage when a quilt shop has a sale.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Stopped at Joann's on Sat. to pick up some black fabric for the border of a black and white quilt I'm making. Very disappointed as for the most part the fabrics were thin, stretchy and kind of see through. Checked out the Kono black and that was always a good choice for a solid black colorwise as well as for thickness. Kono was a little better than Joann's stuff but still not as good as the small piece of Kono I have that I bought a few years ago. Didn't get to use my coupons again. Guess it's a long trip to the LQS for me.
May in Jersey
I found exactly that a week ago when I visited the newly remodeled Joann's in Brick.......came out empty handed of fabric..was totally disappointed........ Still like the C&C thread so I usually use the coupons for that.........

Although I am now using thread from Connecting Threads and it is working just fine....so maybe there will be a change....after the seventy-some spools (I now have in cabinet)are gone !!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:27 AM

I got my Joann's coupon book in the mail, so I went there yesterday hoping to come home with some fabric. However they had everything in the store on sale for 20-30% off so you couldn't use your coupons. They seem to have the same old stuff, nothing that excites me. So I was upset that I couldn't use the coupons, I left without buying anything. I will continue to order stuff online.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 AM

Happy that you asked about this---many helpful replies.
Thanks, Kutnso
Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Lately I have been shopping at Hancock rather than Joann's. You can really get some good deals at Hancock.

I've tried several blacks but my absolute favorite is Amish Black from Keepsake. It's all I use now.

I don't know if it different in your JoAnna's but here the coupon says "20% off ONE item," not the whole order. The coupon is very deceiving if you don't look close. And trust me, the cashiers stick to ONE ITEM.

Originally Posted by mbeskosty12360
I did get to use two coupons. Loved the 20% off your total sale.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by MarthaT
Originally Posted by zennia
I never get to use my Joanns cupon. Seems like everything is always on sale. Why do they bother sending cupons?
It gets you in the store.
I stand my ground with JoAnns, if I have a coupon for 40% off any one cut I get my 40% off. They really don't want you to make a scene in front of other customers. I have bought whole bolts of Muslim for backing like this.50% off same. Sometimes its cheaper to say you'll pay full price if you can use your coupon.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:39 AM

I have used the Amish black from Keepsake Quilting and have been more than satisfied with it. I use it all the time.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:02 AM

For a really black black I have used the better Kona Black but I also order Amish black from z and s quilting on-line.