Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in the Lancaster AQS show >

Disappointed in the Lancaster AQS show

Disappointed in the Lancaster AQS show

Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by carrieg View Post
Can you pinpoint what it was that made you feel letdown? Was it the type of quilts, the colors, patterns, vendors?

There will be an AQS show in Michigan in August(?) and I plan on going. Not sure what to expect.
I'd like to know also! I live in GR where the Michigan show is being held and have been eagerly waiting for over a year to go!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary View Post
I'd like to know also! I live in GR where the Michigan show is being held and have been eagerly waiting for over a year to go!
Go! Don't take someone else's opinion on it! Go see for yourself!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:09 AM

And I thought it was just me! I agree that the show was a let down this year. The signage was indeed a problem and ushers were here and there but some were speaking on cell phones and "not available" immediately. I also missed the winners. Fortunately, my DH drops me off and that's a HUGE help. I only spent a couple of hours or less because I went on Friday and it was pretty crowded. I missed seeing some vendors that I was looking for as well. What I did find was thread that I wanted and was pleased with that. As a member of AQS, I only had to pay $9 and I knew nothing about another show. Would love to have taken that in. Don't our organizations know that quilters work together??? That's a page from our book they should use!

I went last year and comparatively speaking both the quilts and the vendors were "more" everything in 2011. Still the quilts were gorgeous to see. Great work, just wish I had found the winners!

I did enjoy shopping at Burkholders, Lapp's and Zooks. I walked out of the Old Country Store and went to Zooks where I found much more room to shop. OCS was wall to wall quilters. No room to look even. Did get some great buys and, of course, loved that. Lapp's was fun because it was a true Amish shop off the beaten path. The young lady had to turn on the oil lamps for me to see their fabric. Good prices as well.

I spent $250 in a shop I found on the way home in Virginia where I bought Kaffee for $5 and great name cottons for $3.60. I had to really hunt it but great buys!

I don't know that I'll even go to the AQS show again next year there but I will definitely make a spring fabric trip to the area, via that Virginia shop for SURE!!

Last edited by mhollifiel; 03-18-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:10 PM

Wow, that shop in Virginia sounds like a winner to me. I get to Virginia several times a year so I would love to know the name and where it is.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:02 PM

I went to a quilt show this weekend (Pigeon Forge) and was disappointed as well. The colors were mostly drab (Civil War and Revolutionary War) and most of the applique was raw edge. I saw only 3 quilts that were outstanding. I am not sure I'll go back next year. Maybe our fiscal depression had something to do with it, but during the last depression, quilts were happy as if to deny their current situation.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:31 PM

This was my 13th year and I've been disappointed then last three years. I spent most of my time going to the shops; about 25 of them!!!! Didn't pay over $8/yard for any fabric. The quilt shops here in Pittsburgh charge $12+/yard for their batiks.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:38 PM

I know it is a long way from PA, but you should come to TX to the International Quilt Show in Houston, the first week and weekend in Nov. It is always wonderful! Lots of vendors and lots of quilts, wall hangings, and anything else you can think of.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:16 PM

A bunch of friends and I had a quilt retreat in the area and most of us spent all day Wednesday at the AQS show...none of us made it to the other show or the vendors-only place. I wish I could say I was disappointed in the vendors, because then I might have spent less money :-) I'm a real sucker for demonstrations. I bought lots of patterns and notions, and the John Flynn rail system to use with my Janome 6600. With the exception of a few small pieces of silk (and a pattern to make ornaments from them), I bought no fabric at the show.

While in the area we shopped at Burkholders (there was a coupon available for 20% off...frustrating that not everyone would have been aware of it), and the owner started offering more "specials" while we were standing in line. Irrespective of that, Burkholders gives 15% discount to guild members (but not both discounts).

We also went to Sauders and left our share of $$ there too. I bought a bolt of Kona black @ $3.99 a yard (after discount).

As to the quilts at the show, they were beautiful, although I never did see the winner's circle. I must say, however, that I prefer shows sponsored by local guilds because they have a greater range of skills displayed, and I can actually look at some and say "I might be able to do that."
Old 03-18-2012, 04:40 PM

Ladies, We went to the Mountainfest Quilt show in Pigeon Forge, Tenn this past wekend---beautiful, and more vendors than I've seen in a long time. Also lots of classes-couldn't be more pleased - and will indeed go again next year!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:16 PM

I'm not going to say I was disappointed, as this was the first quilt show I've been to.. I went with someone I met through the board... We went to the Host first, and I came out feeling disappointed that there wasn't enough to see.. I didn't get to the Continental as w thought we weren't going to have enough time at the AQS.. I didn't have to pay for parking, as I found a spot on the street, and it was Sat.. so you don't have to pay.. The quilts that were showed were amazing... I don't think there were enough vendors.. We still had time to go to Zooks... We ate at Good and Plenty,as we wanted to try Pen dutch food.. Ugggh.. We stayed over night in Ephrata at the Hampton in which was very clean,and decent, and hit Adamstown today.. The antiques were a lot of fun.. Ended up ending the two days at PA fabric.. Which opened at 12:00.. It turned out to be a discount fabric store with a mixture of different quality fabrics with very ery low prices.. It was also the only fabric store I could find on a Sun.. All in all it was a nice two days..
Barri