Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed, please help. >

Disappointed, please help.

Disappointed, please help.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by Annya
Did you know you can stipple quilt with out dropping the feed dogs. I do it all the time, it gives me more control on where the quilt is going without it sliding every where and the stitches are better than when I drop the feed dogs. Try it out on something else first, but I would either sew around the blocks in a SID method and stipple then if you want THEN remove the other sewing if you want to. That way it wont have to be re-pinned.
Annya:
What size stitch do you use, and what about the tension? I'm interested. Maybe I'll try this on something small to see how it looks to me.

8-)
Old 08-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

It sure is a beautiful block, love the colors!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:17 AM

I think( too much fabic)is right , I would make it right. Because I would want to know and so I din't loose jobs because some one sayed that I was not good at my longarm quilting. I had one that they didn't like. I took it all out and redid it.she was realy happy when I got done with is the second time. I was just starting doing longarm quilting , I have three more for her.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:34 PM

I use the normal stitch and the same tension if the same cotton on both bobbin and top. But get a piece of sandwiched fabric as if it is the quilt and practice first until you are happy with the way it looks. Put a new needle in too and take your time or big stitches will appear and spoil it. Check the tension to see if both top and bottom are good. Lately I found that I cant use Rasant and Threadart cottons together, it doesn't see properly and I have had to unpick a whole big block, most annoying when you think it is right only to find out it is not. Remember practice, practice, practice. The more you do the better your work. GOOD LUCK. :thumbup:
Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by klgreene
I made a quilt for my DDIL, sent it out to be longarm quilted, it came back and I loved it. But the lady took a long time to get it back to me. I know why now. She is probably the only longarm quilter in the area. That was the first time I had sent something out. So I made quilts for my DGD's, used someone different. The first one came back....and I am not happy with the quilting. At least, not the amount of quilting. In a 12 inch square there are three squiggled lines. This is for a little 10 year old who isn't going to just lay it on the bed, she'll use it.....
Question, do you think I should quilt around the large square then, around all the background white fabric, or all the squares....help, please...
I have finished my DGD's quilt. I decided to SID around all the 12 inch squares, then around the 4 cards, and down the green sashing. This holds it together nicely, and you can't see the SID very well that I did. I wouldn't say this is my best quilt, but at least by the time she redoes her bedroom, I may know how to machine quilt much better than just SID. So, I'm attaching the Quilt, quilt back and the little quilt is a coordinating quilt for her American Girl Doll. I've had fun and I know she'll love it.

Thank you all for your ideas and help with this. I did try to do the heart idea, but my machine stitches much differently than hers does. And I left the waves in it so it isn't all just straight stitching.

Front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]101939[/ATTACH]

Doll Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]101941[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-101934.jpe   attachment-101935.jpe   attachment-101936.jpe  
Old 08-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Google Goddess

you did a great job!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:31 AM

It is a beautiful quilt, and you did a great job of salvaging the quilting on it. Good job! She'll love it!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:18 AM

She will love it. Great job!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:21 AM

It looks beautiful and you're happy. That's all that matters. So glad you came up with a compromise. Your GD will love it! :D
Old 08-22-2010, 11:30 AM

Really a pretty quilt, looks good and any young lady would love that. Good job Grandmother!!!