Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Disappointed

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!

Red face Disappointed

I haven't been to my favorite quilt store since mid December. I went there today to get fabric for my son's quilt and I managed to choose 17 fabrics and had them cut in just under 30 minutes. I didn't even get to purr and pet all the other pretty fabrics. I guess that is what I get for knowing exactly what I want and knowing that they will have it. Love Tater Patch Quilts in Merrill, Oregon! It took me longer to pick out five different fabrics for the backing at JoAnns - maybe that is because they don't carry Moda fabrics.

Sounds like you really did enjoy your trip to town!!

Living 120 miles from a fabric store makes any time I get to spend in one wonderful!! I just always worry that I forgot something.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
    Living 120 miles from a fabric store makes any time I get to spend in one wonderful!! I just always worry that I forgot something.
    That's a long way to drive to get a fabric fix. Good thing you can pet all 17 at home now.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    I shop online a great deal from USA fabric shops. I do so miss the foundling of the fabric before buying but a trip from here to there is a little extreme for a purchase. Oh for the day when e can feel fabric through the computer screen or smell new fabric.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Nothing like being able to touch fabric. Think it's a great need in all of us quilters/sewers.

Yes Tater Patch Quitls sure is a nice store, stop there once in a while on our way to Cederville,Ca.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

I know how it is to be so far from nearest fabric store---I'm in Lewistown,Mt and closest 1 is in Billings, Mt 125 miles away. Definitly make a day of shopping when I go!
    Kathy Osterby

I can't remember just where it is, but I get fabric in MT from Glacier Quilts. You could check out the address online. They really treat you right

Blog Entries
    If I lived 125 miles from a fabric store, I'd either use mail order or move! You must love your ranch! Please post pictures of it!

Love Tater Patch, I used to go to the Sisters Quilt Show every year or so with a few friends -- but we haven't made it up there in the last few years. When we did go, we always made the detour to Tater Patch on the way home (saved some money so we could do a little damage there).

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
    If I lived 125 miles from a fabric store, I'd either use mail order or move! You must love your ranch! Please post pictures of it!
    Yes, I love our ranch! It is hard being so far from conveniences, but you learn to do without or make do with what you have. The closest grocery store is 20 miles away, so I have to plan ahead and stock up on nonperishables. Unfortunately, a trip to WalMart every three months is usually a BIG trip to WalMart. Ok, here is one little portion of our ranch. This is a pic of the main part of the ranch. Enjoy.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  97.1 KB

I work in a nursing home and told the girls that if I am ever put in one to keep me supplied with fabric --- TO KEEP ME CALM!
    ABCDEFG

WOW!! Beautiful picture! What a view!!

Thank you for posting the picture! Beautiful!! I know how you feel although I don't live that far from a fabric store. But my favorite store was right on my way home from work and they closed. It was my stress reliever at the end of very busy days. Now I have to plan to go to a fabric store. Can't wait for the Lancaster show this week,
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by mountain deb View Post
    I work in a nursing home and told the girls that if I am ever put in one to keep me supplied with fabric --- TO KEEP ME CALM!
    I work in one too. I already have my room picked out -- one with room for all my plastic bins of fabric. And if they can make room for people to do puzzles I can have a table to sew. Lol
    Never met a scrap of fabric or vintage sewing machine I didn't like!
    Many a lost and lonely vintage machine has found a home with me, 26 and------ uh oh lost count, who is counting anyway!

Susan

You ladies made me laugh with your description of "petting the fabrics". I do that too; I just didn't know it had a name! I feel like I'm in good company. Beautiful ranch, BTW.
    1951 Singer 301A - "Jean"
    1958 Singer Featherweight - "Verna"
    2009 Janome 4100QDC - Nameless

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Osterby View Post
    I know how it is to be so far from nearest fabric store---I'm in Lewistown,Mt and closest 1 is in Billings, Mt 125 miles away. Definitly make a day of shopping when I go!
    Question for you. My son lives in Lewistown, Mt. and there used to be a small quilt shop on main street. I bought some fabric there. It was small but I liked her fabric choices. I also shopped at Great Falls at the quilt shop called something like "quilt away". Are these all gone or do you do your shopping in Billings??
    quilting with my dogs

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
    LOL! I was thinking the same thing, if I lived over 120 miles from a fabric store I'd move! LOL! In fact I used to live 20 miles from one and I decided I had to move!

ETA: Though, looking at the pic she posted I can see how that would be hard to leave. I had nothing like that where I was before.
    Last edited by mooshie; 03-12-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: I saw the pics!

Quote Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
    I can't remember just where it is, but I get fabric in MT from Glacier Quilts. You could check out the address online. They really treat you right
    Glacier Quilts is in Kallispell, MT and it is a wonderful store. I have made several trips to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Osterby View Post
    Kathy, I had to smile when I read your post. I'm not all that far from a fabric shop where I live, but each summer I travel over 900 miles to Bozeman to visit Quilting In The Country! I love Jane's shop and come home with serveral lovely things each time...Don't always get my projects done within the year, but I sure have fun while I'm there!
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

I only live 15 miles from town but understand what you mean. I keep a running list of what I need to pick up when I go to town and make sure I have one of everything in the pantry. When I go in I make sure I have plenty of time to pet the fabric! Now that I'm retired at least I'm not in town every day. I love being on our little ranch. No neighbors, lots of quiet!