Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointing Quilting Class >

Disappointing Quilting Class

Disappointing Quilting Class

Old 07-26-2010, 04:28 PM

That really would be a total disappointment.... You can get lots of information right here on the board - all you have to do is ask! Don't be discouraged!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:47 PM

A great resource for local quilting classes is a community college in their continuing education department. I have always been pleased with the ones I have taken.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 PM

So sorry about your bad experience. I've always had good luck at a LQS. I'm taking a beginning class that is amazing - soo much good information!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 PM

I am so sorry you had such a dissappointing entry to quilting. Our quilting group has about an hour of instruction every week for beginners and if you could find a group near, you might get all the help you need. You tube is a great source for instructions. Many tutorials to be found there. Good luck with the wonderful world of quilting.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:32 PM

sorry you had such a bad time. If you want a class try a adult ed class. I took one in california and had a great time.Also here in wichita I took another one to learn the quilt as you go method. It was great. They are only 10 dollars for the classes, pattern and instuction. The teachers are very helpful too. Of course I have been learning alot from this board the ladies here are great in helping people and do great work. after reading this site I get the urge to sew and that is what I have been doing and trying out some of the tips. Thanks ladies. I will never be as good as you all but I decided what is important is to enjoy it so at least I am having a good time.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 PM

I can relate to your experience. The same thing happened to my friend and I. We went to a shop that took us over an hour to drive to, the owner of the shop gave us no instructions just had us pick out something we wanted to do from her projects she had in the store. We both chose a simple table runner because we were fairly new to quilting. We bought the material (quit pricey) from her. We took our own machines and our own accessories to use. Between her waiting on customers, answering the phone and babysitting for her neighbor's baby, we didn't get much done and had to go back the next day. We showed up on time (another hour drive) to someone at the store who didn't know a thing about what was going on or how to quilt. We were told to go in and continue where we left off and the owner should be back soon. After sitting and chatting with my friend for 2 more hours the owner came in,asked what we had done so far. We were only suppose to be there for 3 hours which at this time meant we had 1 hour to finish our runner. This wasn't going to happen we had a good 3 hours of work left and had no instructions to follow so couldn't even take our material and go home. I was willing to give her the benefit of a doubt that she might have had an unexpected emergency and could not contact us so that we could reschedule but after finding out that she went to lunch with some friends and was having so much fun she stayed longer than she expected and left us to fend for ourselves I got a little upset. She did finally write down some directions (very hard to follow) we could take with us. I took mine to a LQS and told the owner what happened and she was a real peach and helped me finish my table runner. Needless to say we had to pay $70 for this so called personnel instruction class plus $20 for material from a shop I will never go to again. Lesson well learned.
I now have found a great guild that has tought me more than any class can. Gee thanks for listening sorry for the lengthy story but I feel so much better now knowing I'm not the only one with an ugly experience. Thanks to you quilters here and my new quilting friends I am enjoying my new hobby.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:37 PM

Yes ask for your money back. most classes I go to are about 8 people and not crowded into a small room. Tell the teacher that you did not sign up just to be told you are on your own. Take your money and go to another shop who are willing to teach you what you want to know. There many out there. It is a pity I live in Australia because I would gladly teach you myself, Free. I hope you find some one soon or maybe there is a friend of a friend who will show you what to do to get you started. Make sure the person DOES know what they are doing. Join a quilt club and ask some one there for help. I am learning quilt as you go from a member in my quilt club. She not only shows you what to do but gives instructions for you to go over when you are home and (Forgot) what you were told. Try and have fun, BUT get your money BACK first.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:58 PM

I just finished taking a two-part One Block Wonder class. During the class, we were discussing Hawaiian applique and I described a problem I'd had with a bad pattern and had ended up tossing the whole project after spending months doing the applique part. Seems the same thing happened to the teacher with the very same pattern. The pattern was defective. I received a call from her just this afternoon. She'd redrafted the pattern and offered to send me a copy. This was over and above the call of duty. Of course, I accepted with much thanks. I will, also, sign up for any other classes she may offer in the future.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:02 PM

I am so lucky the LQS that I go to for Classes I bought my machine from and their classes are so informative the teachers are great I go to at least one a month we have fun and learn the teachers are so concentrated on you learning something and having fun doing it
Old 07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

I would definately complain and ask for a misrepresentaion refund.