Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointment >

Disappointment

Disappointment

Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 PM

I love your quilt!!!! Beautiful job with the quilting too!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:28 PM

I think it's fine!
But if you are really unhappy with it gift to "Project Christmas" in your area, someone that would get nothing for
Christmas will be happy to receive such a beautiful gift.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:54 PM

I would be putting in wavy horizontal lines as well so that you definately know that it's meant to be wavy and off centre. I would add a border design in contrasting thread that draws the eye and reduces the puffiness to make the centre stand out more. The random lighter blue actually does look as if it's meant to be and I think it lifts it and makes it look interesting. I just don't think you've quite finished yet lol Hope this helps!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

You are your own worse critic. If you gift it some one will love it. If not that put it away got a while and bring it out on a rainy day and snuggle
Old 11-07-2013, 05:48 PM

Your quilt top is very nice and pretty and if you wash and dry it, you will hardly be able to see the quilting. Who looks at the quilting job anyway. you are not planning on entering it in a quilt show. You put in a lot of work already. Just put it aside for a few days and wash and dry it. I would suggest you use one of those color grabbers for any red or blue fade a little. They are famous for that. The members had some good ideas but just don't give up on all that work you have accomplished.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:09 PM

I don't really think it's all that bad. I've seen a lot of really bad quilts. this is definitely not one of them. If you're really unhappy with the quilting, try more lines. the more quilting you do, the less you'll notice the first rows of stitching. that being said, there are many many ways to make good use of a quilt you don't love: project linus, the local hospital or another charity, quilts of hope, habitat for humanity, to name a few. please don't beat yourself up any longer. It's just a quilt, not the end of the world...and seriously, not that bad at all -- in fact I love the pieced middle! - s
Old 11-07-2013, 07:26 PM

Everyone has different tastes. You hate the quilt. On the other hand, you wrote "Heck my toddler is obsessed with it." There's your answer - a quilt that you love, your child may run from. This quilt he/she loves! Finish it for him/her.

P.S. In my mind, your child's name is Heck because you wrote "Heck my toddler."

Tate
Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 PM

We all have one of 'those' quilts in our quilt making history.

Put it aside - out of sight - for about 6 months. 6 months is usually time enough to let your bad memories of making the quilt get foggy enough to evaluate the quilt more objectively. If you are still disappointed with it after 6 months, then finish it up and donate it.

We all know the saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" I suspect this quilt just needs to find the right 'beholder' to love it!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 PM

I love the top, too! I think the entire quilt top 'pops' all by itself! When a quilt top is as striking as this one is, you almost don't have to quilt it at all.

Having said that, if you're really unhappy with it, wash the quilt after you put the binding on. Washing and some shrinkage often makes the quilting more obvious.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Wow! You are really being hard on yourself on this one! I think its really pretty and while you know where your mistakes are, 90% of the population would just be impressed with the quilt as a whole and not even see them. I'd either finish it up and donate it now if you can't stand to keep it around, or put it away for awhile and move onto something fun and when in a better state of mind pull it out and take another look at it.