Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointment >

Disappointment

Disappointment

Old 11-06-2013, 05:00 PM

The colors are attractive. The difference in the blues is not noticeable. Put it on a bed and stand by the door.
Also, instead of trying to machine quilt it, you can always tie it. Anyone who receives this quilt will be delighted to receive it.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:32 PM

I love the top! How about doing wavy lines the other way (or, quilting the cr** out of it which is what I end up doing, usually, stiff as a board but apparently they do get cuddly after a few washings)Has it been washed and dried yet?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:41 PM

I like your quilt and you will also when it is finished and you don't look at it for a time. When you go back and look you will say. This is not so bad after all.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:24 PM

I like it! It would make a hugely appreciated QOV ! It's almost Veterans Day!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:50 PM

Give it a bit of time and distance. You are being too critical of yourself. I always wait a bit, then look at it from a distance. At first all I can see is the mistakes, the wrong choices. After a bit you can see it as itself. Isn't it wonderful how we grow and progress and learn as we go along! It is really lovely!

Oh yes, and you need to build up your stock of quilts. My children and grandchildren have always played with them, made tents and forts, wrapped up the dog, pretended they were camping out... so you need a good stock for that sweet little girl to pretend with!

Last edited by MissQuilter; 11-06-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 PM

Lovely quilt - definitely too good for the dog!!! Please, we are our own worst critics with our quilting...it is not as bad as it looks to you. Bind it and give to someone on your Christmas list - they will love and appreciate it!!! We see all the imperfections in our work, all the recipient will see is beautiful quilt with fabulous texture, where every stitch has been taken with love.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:53 AM

Now, that it's done with the binding on I think it looks great. I am so glad you finished it & believe me there are lots of people out there that would love to have this beauty. Looks great on your deck & will look great on the back of your chair too. Congrats for your perseverance.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:06 AM

I say the rest are right.. either put it away and look at it later , like in a few months not few hours and if you still hate it.. donate it. its going to keep someone warm and TWO: its ok to use different blues in a project people do that all the time.. Three: I don't see anything wrong. Its not a bad little quilt at all. A non quilter does not see what a quilter does so your truly worrying over nothing and if you are wise when you gift it DO NOT POINT OUT what you see as a flaw and they will most likely not even see things that bug the heck out of you. And keep it away from the dog ok? its much better than all that.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:23 AM

Now for my 2-cents worth.....

First of all, put the binding on.
Second, if it's so bad in your minds eye that you don't want to keep it, why would you want to give it to someone else?
Third, repurpose it! If you don't feel it works out well enough for a bed or wall hanging why not use it for a picnic blanket? Stop at a deli...spread it out on the grass in the park...eat, read, enjoy!
Keep it in the car. It could, also, be used for a tablecloth on a roadside picnic table.
You put way too much time on it to get rid of it....you learned a lot by being patient enough to keep at it until it was all pieced together. Good for you!!! It will look better to you as time goes on and I think it's just fine!!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tfch8184 View Post
Here are pictures. I love the top and the back is my favorite but the quilting. Ugh. I swear I could just beat myself for ripping it out and redoing it since the redo looks like poo.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Back

Close up of my attempt at wavy lines. I *think* the part that eats me up is the thread. I thought it would pop and looks good but dang it looks bad. Really really bad. I love the quilting on the backing. That just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. I don't know what to do with it right now. I just know my head won't let me move past it till I finish it.
When I look at the quilt, I see a very busy inside & nothing on the borders. It really needs a heavy quilting pattern in each border. That would make it look like a finished product instead of partially done. If that extra bit of quilting was added, you would have a totally different look. I would suggest some kind of a theme... spirals, circles, a flowery pattern. Maybe trees. Go to Urban Elementz and look at "Loose Threads" or "Cool Beans". Anything but something straight. The lines need to be softened. Overall, I like what you did, but you just need to finish it.

You have it at the stage I get when I make a garment. I've done all the seams, but I haven't hemmed it and I just hate the way it's turning out. I get the hem in it and all of a sudden, it's beautiful. Your ugly duckling will turn into a swan when you get that quilting on it.