Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dispelling Myths about Quilts of Valor >

Dispelling Myths about Quilts of Valor

Dispelling Myths about Quilts of Valor

Old 08-11-2011, 04:43 AM

As a vetran I thank you and all who help in this task, as a Vietnam vet, we didn't get much thanks or respect. It's very nice to see things have changed.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

I was wondering that too. Is it no stitch in the ditch because they found the stitching was generally not close enough together if done stitch in the ditch or because it is not the style that they are looking for in a quality quilt? I don't do stitch in the ditch generally as I think it is hard to do but it might be good to know if they are lookibng for 4 inches apart or other points like the style.

Originally Posted by Ngeorgia
It states stitch length but not how close the stitching needs to be (like every 3-4". Is that based on the batting used?
What is considered "giant meander"?

I think it would have been helpful if the instructions/guidelines had said that quilting lines should be no further than X inches apart.

What are they looking for?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:59 AM

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I did read your reply in the other one, but wondered if everyone would see it. This clarifies everything, and its right at the top, sometimes things in the middle get missed!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I was wondering that too. Is it no stitch in the ditch because they found the stitching was generally not close enough together if done stitch in the ditch or because it is not the style that they are looking for in a quality quilt? I don't do stitch in the ditch generally as I think it is hard to do but it might be good to know if they are lookibng for 4 inches apart or other points like the style.

Originally Posted by Ngeorgia
It states stitch length but not how close the stitching needs to be (like every 3-4". Is that based on the batting used?
What is considered "giant meander"?

I think it would have been helpful if the instructions/guidelines had said that quilting lines should be no further than X inches apart.

What are they looking for?
Just to clarify, the requirements do not say NO stitch in the ditch; they do say not to do ONLY stitch in the ditch.

I treat each QOV as I would any other quilt I longarm. I try to choose a quilting pattern that complements the quilt top - sometimes it's an overall design, sometimes it's custom. I try not to leave any patch of fabric unquilted. For example, if the top is made of nine-patches, I would make sure a line of quilting goes through each of the nine patches in each block. That would be the minimum amount of quilting for me - depending on the batting used, the flatness of the quilt top to start with, the size of the blocks, etc., I would very likely have two or three lines of quilting in each patch.

If you're concerned about whether your quilting is appropriate, you can always contact QOV and ask them to match you up with a volunteer longarmer. The only cost to you is the cost of shipping the top and backing to the longarmer. They provide the batting (at least I always have) and labor.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:33 AM

great info...thanks...
Old 08-11-2011, 05:44 AM

I am a mother of a Marine who was wounded in Iraq in Sept. of 2005. I just wanted to thank all of you who donate to Quilts of Valor. He received one of these quilts when he arrived in Germany. He still raps up in this quilt, as it lays on the back of his sofa. I will tell you these are a comfort zone for these guys. Thanks for wrapping your loving arms around my son when I couldn't. Thanks for all you do. Leisa
Old 08-11-2011, 06:09 AM

Thank you for posting this. I made a QOV and plan to do so again. It was just a small Thank You for all our service men and women do. I really appreciate their dedication to our country.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 AM

Very nicely said. thank you. Virg
Old 08-11-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by usmomlovemc
I am a mother of a Marine who was wounded in Iraq in Sept. of 2005. I just wanted to thank all of you who donate to Quilts of Valor. He received one of these quilts when he arrived in Germany. He still raps up in this quilt, as it lays on the back of his sofa. I will tell you these are a comfort zone for these guys. Thanks for wrapping your loving arms around my son when I couldn't. Thanks for all you do. Leisa

Thanks for letting us know. Those of us who make QOV's very seldom here from the reciepient. It's nice to hear that they like it.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 AM

Just a note of caution. I made a QOV and they hooked me up with a LAQ who did a great job. The next time I made a top, they set me up with a different quilter who ruined my top. When I got it back I cried and had to rip out all of the quilting.

In the future, I will pay to have mine quilted before sending it in.

Pat