Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ditch Quilting Foot >

Ditch Quilting Foot

Ditch Quilting Foot

Old 08-20-2009, 02:09 PM

My Janome came with a stitch in ditch foot and a walking foot and some other feet You should have ask your dealer and maybe could have gotten them for free. :D
Old 08-20-2009, 06:32 PM

Certain models of Janomes come with certain feet --- at least that's what this dealer tells us! :mrgreen:

And the Accufeed one wouldn't fit MY Janome....Mine is a Jem Platinum 760.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:27 AM

Most feet are pretty interchangeable.. I hate - okay - despise stitching in the ditch so I've been considering getting that foot although I'll probably look for it on ebay lol.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:55 AM

Why do you despise sid? I asked because I finished my first quilt -a shop hop quilt with sid, I was very reluctant to do so, like you not a fan of it, but being pretty new at this, it is one of the few I can do. I actually surprised myself, I forced myself to use sid and actually, was very pleased with the end results. Very pleased!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:09 AM

I am retentive about having straight lines and if I waver a little bit and can see my stitching it irritates the daylights out of me! I know I am too critical of my sewing and I know I'm still new to quilting but it just gets me all sad when I see those lines not where they're suppose to be!

So I don't ditch it at all - okay, if I can help it I don't do it and when I have to I'm just frustrated. I saw the ditch foot on one of the quilting shows and I must have looked like a deer caught in headlights with my jaw gaping open. My oldest son asked me if I was okay and I was like it's a really cool sewing machine foot and he just kind of rolled his eyes and walked away :lol: Yeah, and he's only 8 and already knows his mom is in deep!

I will say I just made friends with my quilting guide arm thingermabobber and am also in love. wow that is sweet!!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Crafty..if you are bothered by seeing your "crooked" stitches when SID...use a monofilament for the SID. I ALWAYS use it (just because I'm not as great a piecer as I would like to be and I can make "corrections" when SID using the mono and you can't see it) After I do some SID to kind of hold the quilt in place, then I do my other types of quilting.

I bought my SID foot on ebay..used it once and wish I hadn't spent so darn much time looking for it, but heck, now I have it if I ever want to use it. I generally do SID with my walking foot.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:30 PM

I had better success with sid than i ever thought i would.. I never ever thought I would like it, but while not my favorite it wasn't bad. Wasn't bad at all!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 PM

I used the monofilament on a quilt I made (Mexican Star) and while it DOES hide my bad stitching, it was very hard for me to see it! I have problems with my eyes......So -- no matter which you use, whatever gets the job done is A-OK with me! :mrgreen:
Old 08-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I tend to agree with the girls about buying bernina feet on ebay. I bought my walking foot from my dealer and then found it on ebay for almost half what I paid for it. :(

That being said, I love the bernina quarter inch foot #57 that has the quide attached. But when I need to do somthing that the guide is in the way, the other quater inch one is very nice. I love the markings on it. Shows a quarter inch from every side.

The janome feet are also sold at Hancock fabrics. They are so inexpensive compaired to the bernina. I bought every extra foot they make for mine. Just because specialty feet are wonderful tools. I love them. I also sew clothing and accessories, so many of these feet make my life easier.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:27 AM

This looks just like the Bernina foot I use for hemming. Now I remember that the instructor told me that was the one to use for the ditch! Thanks, for the post with the pictures.