Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you ever make one like "they used to do it"?

I can no longer use a rotary cutter, so I planned to cut my last quilt out the old fashion way. Boy, did I get confused! I got really mixed up trying to figure the pieces out separately. I got it done, and now when I think about it, I don't know why it was so confusing. I'm sure if I got the directions out again and read them, I would get just as confused again.
    Lenette

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
    I don't do it "just because," and I don't believe hand piecing and hand quilting is intrinsically better than machine work. I do hand work because I enjoy it, and because I don't screw up as much when I go by hand.

I much admire the work that some of the machine quilters do...and I'm grateful for them, because they've helped quilt making boom as a hobby.

Janet
    What Janet said. Also - I guess I don't understand the need to feel "in touch" with the quilters of yesteryear. I quilt because I'm obsessed. LOL!

Blog Entries
    just for fun I almost always have some hand piecing project going.....some block I just had to try, often making a doll quilt from it.....years ago , before the rotary cutter, I used template (cardboard from cereal box) and sissors (wiss), loved quilting then and love it now with all the fun things....these new little red clips are awsome! My DD and I love our Singer 301(mine is two tone,hers is mocha) and my Bernina 1630 and her Singer treadle, it is great fun to use all the machines on a single project ! In quilting they all play together !!!!

I'm hand piecing a GFG and when it's finished, probably 5 yrs from now, I'll send it to some gals in Iowa that do beautiful hand quilting. I like some hand sewing because it's relaxing. However the rest of my quilts are machine pieced and machine quilted by me.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

The only hand stitching I do is cross-stitching, and make yo-yo's. I am thinking about starting a GFG because I like to have handwork going too, but I do most of my quilting with my sewing machine. I did start out though with a template, and cut pieces by hand, only because I didn't know then about the rotary cutter!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I made a Double Wedding Ring completely by hand once, including cutting out all the pieces with scissors. I thought it would be neat to make a quilt the way our great-grandmothers did.

It took me 6 years and turned out fantastic. Would I do it again? Naaaaa...Name:  DWR.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  4.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    sometimes I enjoy theb old my but since my hands has gotten more arthritis and I have slowed down so much I don't do as much as I would like but I do count myself very fortunate as I took many classes when quilting was making a comeback before the rotary cutter and I learned many things that I can now translate ocer to quicker methods one class I am so thankful that I took was pattern drafting and being able to take any pattern and change the block size
    plus the many others have also took many new classes that are wonderful such as free motion hand embroidery by machine also hand applique by machine so there really is some great new ways too

Please join me in remembering that right now, this very instant, is someone's "good old days" and that, most probably, you and I are someone's ancestors.

Hope they don't get my nose.

Par

Blog Entries
    The new way isolates me in a room away from the family. With templates, hand piecing and quilting I work off a tv tray in family area. I love that ! But these days I combine both methods. I do what is convent at the time!

I began an interest in quilting back in the late 70's and early 80's but didn't get too far along. It was mostly big squares of calico for the top, a thin old blanket for the batting, a big sheet for the backing and a few rows of straight stitching to keep the blanket in place. Also made a few throw pillows with squares cut from a cardboard pattern, they came out kind of crooked but were useful on the couch. First time I really began to see that quilt could be decorative as well a useful was when I say a movie with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase, Chevy was her ex husband and kept interferring with her marriage.

Blog Entries
    Yep, I do.

J J
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Not completely....however I do use templates and outline pieces on fabric because I just cannot get the rotary cutter thing down. Hopeless, I think.

Power Poster
    when i learned to quilt they didnt have rotarty cutters i learned to do everything by hand as my quilt teacher didnt sew on a machine she now a world known quilter love doing most of mine by hand!!!
    QUILTNMO

I love the rotary cutting and do piece on my machine, but I quilt by hand. I have these great frames and set up in my spare guest room. It usually takes me 6-8 months to do the quilting, as I work a full time job, but I just enjoy the process and don't get in a hurry. My grandmother always had a basket of pieces she had cut out from paper templates, and she hand stitched the quilt tops. I don't think I have the skill for that. Also feel the same way about machine quilting. I consider myself quite accomplished just to be able to sew a straight 1/4 in seam while piecing, but trying to man handle the whole quilt sandwich thru a machine would do me in.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts View Post
    Nope, to impatient. I didn't start quilting until the rotary cutter came into my line of site. I don't even like to hand stitch the binding.....
    Me too, I don't like the hand work at all, hate having to do the binding by hand. Beside mine hands ache way too much after I do it to make it worthwhile for me.

Blog Entries
    I am cutting hexagons for a GFG right now to have something to do by hand in a hospital setting. I plan on making a table runner. Wil I feel connected to my Grandmother whose totally hand done GFG hangs in my living room? I hope so though I wish I'd thought of yoyos first. Do I do any other quilting by hand? NO!

No! No! No! Nor do I want to beat my clothes on a rock in the river or endure summer without an air conditioner just because!!

I never do han work because I don't have the practice time to get things to look good, nor do I have someone to teach me how to properly do hand work.

be sure to add that 1/4 inch on to it. most hand quilting doesn't have it.

Blog Entries
    no for me. i am so glad there are faster precision techniques available today. i still have about 20 pairs of mundial shears from my clothes sewing days. i even found a my pair of pinking shears. i learned tailoring the hand stitching way. i for one never feel the need to go "old school". i was so glad the rotary cutter came on the scene and i am still not sure what hand stitching is. if it is something that can fit under my sewing machine, then that's where it's going.

but there is room at the quilting table for all styles: old school, new school, modern, traditional, machine quilting, hand quilting. thank goodness for choices.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
    No! No! No! Nor do I want to beat my clothes on a rock in the river or endure summer without an air conditioner just because!!
    well the update after beating clothes on a rock was the scrub boards and what about the hand turned wringer washers. you must've missed those laundry improvements.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)

I have a hand piecing project that I do when I travel. When the piecing is done I intend to hand quilt it. I am currently hand quilting an embroidered quilt started by my mom in the '70's. I finished the embroidery. Right now I am only working on it in cooler weather. It has traveled so much I am going to call it "The 35+ Years, 35,000+ Miles Quilt".
    Sometimes a hand piecing, hand quilting project just "needs" to be done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
    I never do han work because I don't have the practice time to get things to look good, nor do I have someone to teach me how to properly do hand work.
    there are plenty of youtube videos available to teach you hand quilting or you can take an online class at quilt university or some other online source. there are so many online resources now you can learn just about anything you want about quilting.

here are a coupla links:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgNuRW9ycK8&noredirect=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD0M7gE_dE0
    My Quiltboard Blog

I do handwork in the evenings and love to hand quilt. I worked out a long time ago, if I wanted to get through all the quilts on my "to do" list I would need to learn machine piecing and quilting. I'd be lost without my rotary cutter and mat....two of the quilters best friends

Haven't even thought about doing one "from scratch". My grandmother made all her quilts on the machine, but she cut the squares by hand(which is what I'm doing with the rotary cutter), and tied most of them. They lasted forever! No templates for me either!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast