Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do the fabrics ever talk to you? >

Do the fabrics ever talk to you?

Do the fabrics ever talk to you?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:44 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Sometimes I have fabric that whimpers and cries when I put it on the mat and show it the rotary cutter. :-( So I give it a gentle, reassuring stroke and put it back in my stash cupboard - these pieces are my 'pets'. :mrgreen:
Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 AM

Happens to me all the time. My husband, too. He is a wire jewelry designer and he says the stones tell him what to do. I'll have a stone in stock and just have the urge to have him set it and the next show it will sell, usually to someone who just walks up and knows it is hers! We're a nutty bunch, artists!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:58 AM

When shopping it will call my name :) Not only fabric call my name LOL
Old 02-06-2010, 08:45 AM

I'm new, this hasn't happened to me yet. Usually a design will say I'm for "this person," please make me. Then it's just a matter of finding the materials that are required to bring the design to life.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:03 AM

I agree. I have a stash and it a comfortable one to me. it is not over whelming to me as I still know what I have, and from memory can add to it for matching. It is always a challenge to complete a 'series" to make up a quilt set. that to me is the great fun. met a lady who was bragging she had over 500 projects started, not counting two bedrooms full to the doors of fabric. that is hoarding, and no one wins, unless it is a yard sale.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:03 AM

I agree. I have a stash and it a comfortable one to me. it is not over whelming to me as I still know what I have, and from memory can add to it for matching. It is always a challenge to complete a 'series" to make up a quilt set. that to me is the great fun. met a lady who was bragging she had over 500 projects started, not counting two bedrooms full to the doors of fabric. that is hoarding, and no one wins, unless it is a yard sale.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:55 AM

My fabrics talk all the time. And I have a "padded by fabric room" where they talk to me.
the other day I wanted to do something with all the materials talking to me from that room but couldn't decide where to start. A little voice from nearby called "we are here waiting patiently" - 3 moda layer cakes I had purchased for $5 each happened to be seen. I scooped them up and have been happily working on them several days. However, I needed an accompanying material. At first perusal of the stash a lovely little piece of white on cream called to me. But they weren't playing nicely together and the others started screaming that it just wasn't going to work out (without cutting the cream yet). There was aclashing fabric mutiny going on! So the stash called again and I searched harder and low and behold a large piece of white fairy frost whispered "I might be just the ticket" and the modas are now happy and I am thrilled!!! (Mostly not to have the talk going on!) ;) When we're all harmoniously put together I will post a pic! I might call it my summer star talker! :-D
Old 02-07-2010, 05:00 AM

juneeloonee,
I would like to see the photo when you finish the quilt. It sounds fantastic!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 AM

When I was first learing to quilt one of my teachers told me that the quilt will tell you what it needs. It does!!!! I've worked on something, get stuck & don't know what to do next. If I walk away/ or go to bed & sleep , the next morning I wake up and know what it wants me to do.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:27 AM

[quote=juneeloonee]My fabrics talk all the time. And I have a "padded by fabric room" where they talk to me.

Love that! It is very dangerous for me to enter a fabric store. Fabric knows my name and loves to use it. I seem to enter a semi trance once the smell of fabric wafts past my nose and it just leads me around the store. I wonder why the sale fabric only whispers and the batiks just scream?