Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I Leave It As Is or Do More? >

Do I Leave It As Is or Do More?

Do I Leave It As Is or Do More?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 AM

I would also outline some of the shapes just to give it stabilty.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 AM

Be sure to use the polyester invisible thread and google tips for sewing with invisible thread. I use this thread a lot because I sew dance wear and there is a ton of tips out there for using this thread. You can use it to quilt also, so research this. I put it on a tall sewing stand and treat it like metallic thread when I use it. Works great and flows without getting tangled up. I really have learned to love this thread. Sew badges on with it also. I have even done backsmocking with it on an artistic project where other threads would have been too heavy and shown to the outside of the project. You might have to adjust your tension just a bit when quilting with it but you probably already figured that out. Let us know how this works out . Good luck.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I love the colors in that panel. Not a wine or any other drinker. No ideas on the quilting.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 AM

Morning!

If monofilament thread is what you really want and you also want to FMQ a pattern in the blocks instead of in specific areas of each block, how about sewing temporary lines around each block and then put your monofilament thread in the bobbin? Then FMQ with the underside of the quilt up. Remove the temporary sewing lines around each block when you are done with the FMQ

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I think I remember that there are different thicknesses of monofilament thread.

Another few things I just thought of: make sure the bobbin case, etc. are really clean; oil anywhere oil is indicated for your machine; and the last thing I can think of before you give up on the monofilament idea is a larger needle with a larger eye (remember that the eyes of needles sometimes will shred the top thread so try a few needles before you throw up your hands in disgust); and lastly, play with your tension and try sewing a little slower.

In another life that I miss terribly, I volunteered in the sewing rooms of a number of Drum and Bugle Corps and my sewing machine and I sometimes traveled with the corps. We did costuming, sets and sets of flags, alterations, and creating uniforms for the players (the exceedingly tall horn player from the UK was a fingernail biter of a project - entire uniform from scratch; no pattern but the right material) but he was so nice that we bit our nails with smiles on our faces. Bottom line: there were many different machines of various ages as well as many different volunteers with varying sewing skills and the mix of people and machines allowed us to learn from each other.

All the best, Pat
Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 AM

As a hand quilter, it is screaming out to stitch around the motifs with black thread. I did that with a musical instruments panel. Hopefully, you can see the stitches along the bow and the strings but I did stitch around each instrument. Here is one of the squares in the panel.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]402960[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails cassandra2-2-.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 07:14 AM

My first thought would be to outline stitch one, maybe two items that are most prominent. Use a thread that does not stand out too much
Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 AM

I like the idea of meandering with variegated thread...but I also have an urge to try my hand at FMQ so I could be biased.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM

I love the panel. I'd stitch around something that is in every panel, like the bottles and/or the glasses. It'll look great one the front and interesting on the back.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I would quilt around the bottles and glasses. A LOOOOOOONG time ago a friend of my grandma use to sew around items then add extra "stuffing" from the back to make items stand out. Not sure that is the direction you want to go but just a thought
Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Okay here is what I'm doing. I bought thread to match the blue, brown, pink and green. I am FMQ in each color. I'm taking a Craftsy class on machine quilting. When I was watching it the other Dat the instructor showed a quilt she had completed that had a variety of colors on it and quilted each color in the particular matching thread. So I thought I would try it! So far it's going well. It is time consuming though.