Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need a backing? >

Do I need a backing?

Do I need a backing?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I'm not sure the question being answered is the question you asked. Do you intend to make a big envelope, with the top part quilted, and stuff it with cedar chips or something like that? So the bottom of the quilted part will never be against anything but the cedar chips (or other stuffing)? If so, I would forget about batting altogether. If the reason for quilting the top is that it will be pieced, then I would put a backing under it (any fabric at all), but no batting. Or maybe I don't understand the question either.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 PM

Default Sorry for the delay in response

Somehow I didn't follow the replays to my question. Sorry.

I have made the covers with and without a backing to the top and batting. That would essentially form a 'quilt' although the backing would never be seen as it is enclosed in an envelope to insert the bedding.
I appreciate your responses.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:16 AM

I would put a backing on because dogs especially when on their on love to chew batting,
Old 08-08-2013, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I think it would depend on the batt. A good cotton blend batt is fairly solid and shouldn't shred creating bald spots. I think I would use one of my uglies on the back anyway to make stuffing it easier and to add sturdiness. A smooth inside surface, makes stuffing easier.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Karol View Post
I am about to quilt a top that will be used as the top for a dog bed. Therefore the underside of the quilted top will not be seen.

I have always used just something to back the batting but wonder if that is really necessary?

Could I quilt the top on just the batting?
I would say YES your quilted top should be backed with something before quilting it even though it will be the top of an envelope type case for bedding. You said you have always backed before....I think you could get by with some very inexpensive lower grade muslin....or n ugly from your stash....or even head to your local resale shop and scrounge around for repurposing. Drapes, sheets...........
Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 AM

I agree with using flannel for the backing rather than batting. I quilted a top that I used for a duvet cover. I just quilted the top to flannel and then made the duvet cover with that. It has been washed many times without any problems. Well, except for where one of the dogs chewed on the corner
Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 AM

...and I would think dog hair would stick to batting and fleece ( from my experience with dogs - haha) I'd vote muslin backing. Photo of finished item would be nice..