Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need a Featherweight? >

Do I need a Featherweight?

Do I need a Featherweight?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late View Post
You need a featherweight! That's my story and I'm stickin to it. (I have two)
Ditto on that, I have two
Old 09-11-2012, 03:40 AM

I bought one and haven't used it at all. I use my Janome all the time. I like having it but really can't see the point of using a machine that goes foraward and backward when I have a machine with needle up and down, automatic thread cutting etc. If you want one because they're cute then go for it but you don't need it.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 AM

Since you have a 301, you don't "need" a FW. However, since you want one, keep your eyes open for a real bargain, enjoy the hunt, and someday one will come your way!

Dayle

P.S. I have 2 Fw's right now and 2 301's. I like to find them at cheap prices, clean them, use them for awhile, and then pass them on, always keeping at least one of each. The smell of sewing machine oil reminds me of my dad (farmer), and old sewing machines remind me of my grandmothers, so it is all a sweet experience!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:24 AM

I love to take mine along for sisters' quilting weekends or retreats. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of my Berninas, but is very portable.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
Mine stays in it's rolling carrying case and goes with me to my Guild meetings, sit and sew and retreats. I love it!
Same here - mine goes to all the guild sews and retreats. But in between, I also sew on it. It is handy if I want to take it to the family room and sew while watching TV or talking to DH. I love my FW!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:14 AM

No, you don't "need" a FW, but they sure are nice to have, espeically for taking to class...so go ahead, jump in...why not???
Old 09-11-2012, 05:31 AM

I say "Go For It!!" You won't be disappointed. Mine was passed to me from my Mom. Dad bought it new for her.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:39 AM

I wanted just one! I got a 1947 black one. I had really wanted a white one but couldn't find any for sale. Then, presto! I found a white on on the Shop Goodwill website and bought it. Well, then I went to a workshop where the instructor said, "How cool is it to own a FW born the same year you were!" <sigh> I started searching again. I found a 1949 black one on ebay and won the bid. I knew I was satisfied then. But......then, there was a 1951
Centennial on ebay late one night going for a good price. I thought that was pretty neat to see the 100th anniversary addition, so I bought it. I was so happy to have my little collection. I lusted over the 222 ones from a distance but knew I could never afford one....until my mother in law passed away and left me some money. Got the 222 from London, England. I do believe I am finished.....unless.....I find a tan one for a good price.
This being all said, I have to add that I sew on them all. I take one and then another to workshops where only straight sewing is required. I have all the attachments and am learning to use those as well. They have awesome power and never balk at a double seam. They're easy to use and maintain and besides...they're just too darned cute!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 AM

I didn't NEED one, but now I have THREE!! Yep, count 'em - THREE! I use them all. Don't ask why I have them, just lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. They were all gifts, one from a dear friend, one from my mom and one from my mil. I love every one and proudly display them when not in use. I've made up clear dust covers so when not in use, I can look over and see them - they make me smile!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Jim

They are SOOO cute and powerful. I wanted one so bad and diligently watched Craigslist. Finally one late night last year right before Christmas one appeared for 200 dollars. It must have been just for me because the guy selling it was in a town we were going to be traveling through that morning. I met him with fabric, thread and power cords, I tried it out and it wasn't working great so I got it for 50 dollars. Took it home, cleaned it up and made minor adjustments and it works and looks like new. Did I need it? No. Did I want it? Oh yeah. And I love it.