Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I Really Need an "Add a Quarter" Ruler?

I'm convinced I NEED one of these rulers! At first I was thinking it was another gimic tool that I didn't need. (I have quite a few of those in my sewing room - LOL) But just last night I spent two hours trimming fabric on 192 pp sheets. I tend to be a perfectionist. After reading this post I realize that a lot of that time was spent ensuring I had the perfect quarter inch. Thanks so much for the post!

Blog Entries
    Many guild members kept telling me I didn't need the quarter ruler, no use buying one. (I should have asked how they knew since if they didn't have one) I took a class from Carol Doak and my paper piecing was transformed! The ruler is necessary for me. No more miss cuts and my seams are all the same. I learned not to listen to others about new quilting tools when they don't have them to know if they are worth it or not. I have all of the sizes of them and I can say they are worth it and necessary when I paper piece.
    Got fabric?

After reading all the replies, I did buy one. $7.22 free shipping from Overstock.com. Little enough for something that I think will be helpful.

Thanks again,
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Many guild members kept telling me I didn't need the quarter ruler, no use buying one. (I should have asked how they knew since if they didn't have one) I took a class from Carol Doak and my paper piecing was transformed! The ruler is necessary for me. No more miss cuts and my seams are all the same. I learned not to listen to others about new quilting tools when they don't have them to know if they are worth it or not. I have all of the sizes of them and I can say they are worth it and necessary when I paper piece.

If you get one, you should know that they come in different lengths. I recommend the 12". 6" is often too small, and 18" seems way too big to me. 12" is just right (said Goldilocks).

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post

If you get one, you should know that they come in different lengths. I recommend the 12". 6" is often too small, and 18" seems way too big to me. 12" is just right (said Goldilocks).
    That's the one I got.
    Thanks Dunster!!

Blog Entries
    I have done with and without it and although it's not necessary I like it because I can butt it up to the edge of the paper without looking/squinting/putting on reading glasses to make sure I have a quarter inch
    Bernie

Blog Entries
    I love mine but you don't really need one. it just helps because these rulers have a lip/edge that you but up to your seam to trim.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Love my add a quarter ruler for pp. Saves me time.

mltquilt

Blog Entries
    NO!!! I hate those things! I can find the 1/4" mark on my own ruler and I do paper piecing all the time! Using one of these by accident caused me to cut pieces the wrong size! At least they were too big and could be trimmed.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't PP without my trusty "1/4 ruler

Blog Entries
    i've been paper piecing for years---and didn't have one for years---and was successful- but i have to say- when i finally did get one i really wondered why i waited so long- i love it and use it all the time now- it makes it so much easier- faster-
    and a regular ruler with a 1/4" mark does not take the place of it- the ruler has a (ledge) that you line up with the edge of the paper- then you cut giving you an exact 1/4" line to line up with for your next piece- it has really made my paper piecing more fun.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I fail to see the point to a perfect 1/4 inch seam *after* it's sewn so I just use a smallish regular ruler and trim.
    Exactly!!!
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

You don't need an add a quarter ruler to paper piece but it sure does make it easier. And, if it's on your class supply list, your teacher probably wants you to have one.

You'd have to fight me for mine, and for my add an eighth ruler too!

Blog Entries
    I love mine, I have the 6" and thte 12"

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I fail to see the point to a perfect 1/4 inch seam *after* it's sewn so I just use a smallish regular ruler and trim.
    It's not for after you sew the seam. It's for before you sew your next seam.

HMK
    Can't imagine doing a Judy Neimeyer pattern without my add a 1/4 ruler - have 6", 12" and 18". I think you'll be pleased that you ordered one.

Blog Entries
    I have all sizes of the Add a Quarter and Add an Eight and add three eights (for flannel) rulers and the Add Enough ruler (more like a gauge) The Add Enough was difficult for me to figure out but I'm glad I stuck with it, it really saves fabric (and cutting too small pieces) when paper piecing. http://www.addaquarter.com/products.php
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I love my add a 1/4 rulers, I have two, one is the 6 inch and one is the 12 inch.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

I love my add a quarter, it really doesn't cost that much and it's does a nice job. No you don't have to have it, it's your preference lol.....

I LOVE my add a quarter. I got the longer ruler. I use the Carol Doak method with the postcard taped to it. You have to see her video to see how fast and easy it makes to trim the seams and makes placement of the next piece so easy.

No, you don't need one. Many of the square up rulers have a 1/4 inch rule usually shaded darker. Use that.

no you don't however it buts up against the paper nicely (has a raised 1/4 inch lip) making it a dream to use so if you do a lot of PP it is worth the investment IMHO.

I wouldn't paper piece without my rulers...both the 1/8" and the 1/4". I have a 4"x6" piece of plexiglass that I use to butt the ruler against and they are all indispensible to me.
    I have also purchased a foot long 1/4" ruler for a larger project that is on my future schedule.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
    To add the 1/4" for paper piecing I usually use one of my small square rulers, the 4 1/2" or 6 1/2" ones do the job and aren't too big and cumbersome.
    It is well worth the money a great help to beginners. I often teach paper piecing and never had a student regret buying the ruler there are two sizes the longer one can be used with anysize block.
    Good Luck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Well, I guess I'm 'odd girl out'. I love my add a quarter ruler for paper piecing. The bottom isn't flat, the 1/4" part is a bit thicker so all you have to do is butt the edge of the raised portion against your folded back seam, cut then line up your next piece.

I am with you !!!! It is just really handy, never slips, and always exact ! Have actually used it for other than paper piecing also....but that is another topic.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast