Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I Really Need an "Add a Quarter" Ruler? >

Do I Really Need an "Add a Quarter" Ruler?

Do I Really Need an "Add a Quarter" Ruler?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
Guess I am "odd" too as I love my add a quarter. Makes it so much easier to line up and cut. I also use an old credit card to fold the paper on the line. Makes the line sharper and easier to fold. Of course, I love tools of any kind...lol.
I love mine too. This is one of those tools that for me it saves time as I can quickly take a thick recipe card, place it on the top of the sewn fabric right on the sewn seam, fold over that last piece sewn, put the add a quarter ruler up against the card/fabric seam, and cut to the 1/4". No fussing. And, the 1/4" marking is thicker so it is easy to butt up against the seam. No checking to make sure the other rulers I have line up. For me, it works. It is like other tools-whatever you need for the project, you have close by. Kind of like putting the rotary cutter inside the Klutz glove. I know I will need the cutter, so it also reminds me to use the glove. I don't start anything unless I have everything I need right at hand. Becomes habit. Not everyone agrees or does this, but it works for me.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I don't do PP, when I need to trim diagonal seams to 1/4" I use a 1" x 6" ruler and draw a line or trim with rotary cutter. I think that would work for PP. A 1/4" is a 1/4" no matter what you use.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 AM

I fail to see the point to a perfect 1/4 inch seam *after* it's sewn so I just use a smallish regular ruler and trim.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 AM

I love my 1/4" ruler for all of the reasons above. It makes it easier for me to trim and I need all the help I can get.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 AM

Thank you all for your replies. It's nice to have both points of view. I didn't realize that the ruler has a lip on it.

The teacher won't be upset if I come without it but I can see its value.

Thanks,
Cathy
Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 AM

I'm convinced I NEED one of these rulers! At first I was thinking it was another gimic tool that I didn't need. (I have quite a few of those in my sewing room - LOL) But just last night I spent two hours trimming fabric on 192 pp sheets. I tend to be a perfectionist. After reading this post I realize that a lot of that time was spent ensuring I had the perfect quarter inch. Thanks so much for the post!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Many guild members kept telling me I didn't need the quarter ruler, no use buying one. (I should have asked how they knew since if they didn't have one) I took a class from Carol Doak and my paper piecing was transformed! The ruler is necessary for me. No more miss cuts and my seams are all the same. I learned not to listen to others about new quilting tools when they don't have them to know if they are worth it or not. I have all of the sizes of them and I can say they are worth it and necessary when I paper piece.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 AM

After reading all the replies, I did buy one. $7.22 free shipping from Overstock.com. Little enough for something that I think will be helpful.

Thanks again,
Cathy
Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Many guild members kept telling me I didn't need the quarter ruler, no use buying one. (I should have asked how they knew since if they didn't have one) I took a class from Carol Doak and my paper piecing was transformed! The ruler is necessary for me. No more miss cuts and my seams are all the same. I learned not to listen to others about new quilting tools when they don't have them to know if they are worth it or not. I have all of the sizes of them and I can say they are worth it and necessary when I paper piece.

If you get one, you should know that they come in different lengths. I recommend the 12". 6" is often too small, and 18" seems way too big to me. 12" is just right (said Goldilocks).
Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post

If you get one, you should know that they come in different lengths. I recommend the 12". 6" is often too small, and 18" seems way too big to me. 12" is just right (said Goldilocks).
That's the one I got.
Thanks Dunster!!