Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I Really Need an "Add a Quarter" Ruler?

Blog Entries
    I use mine all the time when paper piecing, but if your comfortable with a ruler. That rotary blade makes me nervous without it!

I bought it for paper piecing, but I use it for so many things, I personally love mine.

I have a small one and a longer one and I wouldn't be without them.

The seam allowances don't matter on PP as far I can see....you've already sewn the seam before you trim. The ruler is only neccesary to the seller. Profit. Ever notcie how many unnecessary tools are on that list???

I guess I just love gadgets. I bought my rulers on line and got a great deal on them.

When I'm paper piecing I think it makes it a whole lot easier. I'm sure that if you learn to paper piece and then do it all the time you'd get to the point that you wouldn't need it but when starting out or if you pp occasionally, it makes it much easier
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

yes it is unnecessary, but very handy
    Fabaddict

I just use a ruler I already have, they have 1/4" marked,
    matching the length of the ruler to what I am sewing.
    No reason to buy another ruler when something you already have will work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post

If you get one, you should know that they come in different lengths. I recommend the 12". 6" is often too small, and 18" seems way too big to me. 12" is just right (said Goldilocks).
    I love my add-a quarter rulers. I actually have all three sizes because I do a fair amount of paper piecing, but the 12" ruler is the one I use the most. The 6" ruler works well for me when I'm working on very small units and the 18" ruler is great for when I'm putting large units together. I recently made an Amazon Star quilt (a Judy Niemeyer design) and the larger ruler was wonderful for sewing the final units together effortlessly.

I think these rulers are just like most other quilting/sewing notions. It is purely a matter of personal preference and I always suggest trying the notion first if possible before buying. I teach a number of classes, including beginners' classes and my first beginner's class involves no sewing machine. Students bring what rotary cutting supplies they own and learn those; or better yet, come and try the myriad of supplies I have and choose what they like best and then go an buy what they like. I once had two students who swapped cutters because they liked what the other had purchased. Everyone was happy! :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Well, I guess I'm 'odd girl out'. I love my add a quarter ruler for paper piecing. The bottom isn't flat, the 1/4" part is a bit thicker so all you have to do is butt the edge of the raised portion against your folded back seam, cut then line up your next piece.
    I agree - I love my add a quarter ruler! I have PP'd both ways, but am more accurate with the add a quarter. I also feel less like my rotary cutter could slip and cut me.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Well, I guess I'm 'odd girl out'. I love my add a quarter ruler for paper piecing. The bottom isn't flat, the 1/4" part is a bit thicker so all you have to do is butt the edge of the raised portion against your folded back seam, cut then line up your next piece.
    You are not alone! I love my add a quarter ruler!
    Kathy

Blog Entries
    This is me also
    Nana of 1 E and 2 G's

Quote Originally Posted by jeanneb52 View Post
    The seam allowances don't matter on PP as far I can see....you've already sewn the seam before you trim. The ruler is only neccesary to the seller. Profit. Ever notcie how many unnecessary tools are on that list???
    You trim before you sew. Once you trim, you match up your next fabric to that trimmed fabric.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for the Add a Quarter ruler! If you don't want to use it, then don't. Of course the sellers of the ruler make money - that's why they are in business. But they also make things easier for those of us who choose to use their tools. If I was giving a class on paper piecing, I would absolutely put an Add a Quarter ruler on the list. Why not make it easier for the participants in the class?

When you're first learning paper piecing it's very easy to forget and trim your fabric on the line, rather than 1/4" from the line. The ruler is for trimming fabric before you sew the seam, so you can line up the next piece, not after the fact. If you're using it to trim after you sew a seam, then you aren't using it for its intended purpose and it wouldn't be useful. Use it as intended and it is useful.

Show the Add a Quarter some love!

I got mine on a clearance rack for $0.99. Good to have, but not necessary. I haven't used mine yet, but I know it will come in handy--if I can find it when I need it!!!
    Sue

I use mine with the "postcard" method shown on Carol Doaks' PP video. I've gotten used to using it and my PP seems better. Not "necessary" however. There's not much that really IS "necessary" but if something saves time or helps me do a better job, then I'm all for it. since, for me "time is money".

I have one and very rarely use it for anything I do.....good to have in case though!

Quote Originally Posted by ka9sdn View Post
    Not necessary but it is nice to have and I feel safer using it--gives me nice even allowances.
    I agree - I started my first paper piecing class without it, but when the instructor showed me how much easier it made things....I bought one. I think it is worth the small price.

I love the Add-A-Quarter rulers, too. Thank heavens that inventive people keep coming up with new ideas to make our quilting more fun, less tedious and/or more accurate and neat. When they invent something that does what they intend it to do and does it without creating more problems of its own, the inventor deserves to make some money. Making money is a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Donnamarie View Post
    I paper piece all the time and no, you don't need that ruler. It is totally unnecessary.
    I have one but I never use it, luckily I worked at the lqs when I bought it, so didn't pay much.
    One more material Girl~

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
    Hi,

I'm taking a paper-piecing class and this was on the notions list. Wondering what it is, I checked out youtube. Do you really think I need this? I'd think I could use any narrow ruler that has 1/4" markings - yes, I'd have to be careful?

But what do you paper-piecers out there use?

Thanks,
    Cathy

I love to paperpiece & find both the 12" & the 6" Add a Quarter rulers invaluable. They make life so much easier & take the guesswork out of that 1/4" seams. I find them well worth the little bit they cost.

I'm not big on buying every new notion that comes out but this one is well worth it.

Well I am in Paper Princess's club the add a quarter just makes your work easier and if you are distracted at all you still get perfect measurements. That is why we have notions to make our work easier and more fun. I use my 6" all the time.

Blog Entries
    I agree with you! I feel safer when I use the 1/4" ruler because it feels more stable to me when I cut. Of course I consider myself a newbie yet! so to me it was worth the expense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanneb52 View Post
    This makes me wonder how you're using yours. I always use mine to trim the seam allowance before I sew. I fold the paper back (around a straight piece of template plastic to give me that sharp line) along the seam line I intend to sew next. Then I butt my add-a-quarter ruler along that folded paper and trim my seam allowance which provides me a guide for the next piece of fabric. I can't think of using it after I've sewed and am interested to hear about your method, especially if it's nice and fast. The other thing I like about the trimmed seams is that when there are a lot of them, the trimming helps keep the bulk down on the back.
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

I am also taking a paper piecing class and was told to get this ruler.....for the reason above....it butts up and you don't have to think about it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast