Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do I Really Need an "Add a Quarter" Ruler?

I thought it would be a waste too, but after using it I wouldn't give it back, I love how it snugs up against your fold so it doesn't slip. I think the add an eighth would be handy, but I haven't gotten it yet.

I've got one and use it but it's certainly not necessary.
    Annie

I love the ruler. I use it all the timer with a post card for folding the paper over and then put ruler on top and it stops at the edge. cuts a straignt edge to match next piece up to... I learned paper piecing from Carol Doak would paper piece with out it and the 1/8 one for minatures.

I've never PP'ed so I suppose I should keep my mouth shut (like that's gonna happen... LOL!). It was my understanding that when you trimmed your pieces, it didn't really matter what size you seam allowance was. Am I wrong in thinking that?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I have one and love it for paper piecing. But, it is not necessary as long as you're careful. I like it because I can butt the lip on the 1/4" ruler against the folded paper pattern and cut without thinking about it. Whatever you decide, enjoy the process. PP can be a lot of fun.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I love my add a quarter ruler and have used to several times. Do you HAVE to have it? No Does it make it easier? I think so. I just recently bought the 12 inch one to use on a new project.
    Karen in Kentucky

I'm new a paper piecing and I like my add a quarter and use it all the time. To me it makes it more exact.

Blog Entries
    I made a huge large queen pp quilt for my daughter - didn't have a 1/4" ruler - they probably didn't even have them at that time - I recently made another large quilt with lots of PP'ing, and was wishing I had it with that previous quilt - it's not a necessity, but if you have one, you'll probably also find other uses for it - not expensive compared to some things us gals ( and guys) buy for this hobby - I just used it to mark lines for a project I was working on from the CRAFTSY class.

I use either one of my rectangular rulers that has a 1/4" marking on it, or one of Perfect Layers rulers from my scrapbook stash. Love, love, love those rulers. Check those out. I've found them useful for cutting all sorts of things in my scrapping room, as well as in my sewing/quilting room.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Well, I guess I'm 'odd girl out'. I love my add a quarter ruler for paper piecing. The bottom isn't flat, the 1/4" part is a bit thicker so all you have to do is butt the edge of the raised portion against your folded back seam, cut then line up your next piece.
    me too. really like paper piecing using the add-a-quarter ruler.

I recently took a paper-piecing class and half the items on the supply list were totally unnecessary expenditures. One of those items was the 1/4" add-a-quarter ruler. It's still in the package and if I could find the receipt I would definitely return it. I found that my 6" x 24" ruler worked wonderfully for cutting off the excess fabrics (the blocks were 12" x 6").
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Need? No - but it sure makes the job MUCH easier!

I am with you, I would not PP without one. I have a postcard taped to mine and use it. I admit I took a class with Carol Doak before I could my head wrapped around the process she uses. I have the add a 1/4 6 inch, and 12 inch, and the add 1/8 for smaller blocks.

Well, I guess I'm 'odd girl out'. I love my add a quarter ruler for paper piecing. The bottom isn't flat, the 1/4" part is a bit thicker so all you have to do is butt the edge of the raised portion against your folded back seam, cut then line up your next piece.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

No, too many gadgets actually slow you down when quilting.
    pat design

Quote Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
    I love my 1/4 inch ruler. It has a lip on it and you can place it and cut without thinking. I personally think it's a tool worth having.

Ditto!! me too...

i have parkinsons..i use this ruler all the time..but then i shake. it keeps me from cutting to close.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnamarie View Post
    I paper piece all the time and no, you don't need that ruler. It is totally unnecessary.
    I disagree. I do a lot of paper piecing and this tool makes the process MUCH easier and so much more accurate. I can't tell you how many time I cut off the 1/4" seam allowance before I got this tool.( I guess you really don't NEED a rotary cutter - you can still use templates! )

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    I've never PP'ed so I suppose I should keep my mouth shut (like that's gonna happen... LOL!). It was my understanding that when you trimmed your pieces, it didn't really matter what size you seam allowance was. Am I wrong in thinking that?
    It's not really so much about the seam allowance, but the accuracy of laying down the next piece. You lay it right against where you trimmed with the ruler and the piece covers it's spot with no gaps.

It's not absolutely necessary but like so many tools it makes things easier for you. I love mine.

Depends on which paper piecing method you use, but I follow either Carol Doak's method or Judy Mathhieson's method and find my accuracy is much better with the ruler especially on long narrow points, wouldn't do without it now!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    I recently took a paper-piecing class and half the items on the supply list were totally unnecessary expenditures. One of those items was the 1/4" add-a-quarter ruler. It's still in the package and if I could find the receipt I would definitely return it. I found that my 6" x 24" ruler worked wonderfully for cutting off the excess fabrics (the blocks were 12" x 6").
    If the ruler is still in the package then how do you know it wasn't useful to you?
    Got fabric?

i have both the 6 and 12 inch rulers, only used them when I took a class with Carol Doak. I do lots of paper piecing and use any of my see thru rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I totally agree. It's completely unnecessary.
    Me 3. I have one but don't use it very often. My regular rulers work just fine.

Me too! I also use mine when I made triangles from squares.

I just finished a double wedding ring bed runner which was paper pieced. It is a vital piece of equipment when you are paper piecing. I could not have done it without that and a business card.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast