Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Do I scream now or later?

Blog Entries
    Been there, and still am. Working on a D9P and decided to add a extra row and noticed that two blocks in upper rows needed to be ripped out and repositioned, urghhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    I can commiserate big time lol

Blog Entries
    I have broad shoulders, will lend out to lean on.
    Seriously, walking away and looking at it with fresh eyes is usually a good fix for problems.

Blog Entries
    Yep I would use a solid color and place it in the middle with a dedication on it or a cute appliqué.

Blog Entries
    I have been there and done that!!! I would scream over throwing it across room though lol You would be the one to have to clean it all up!!! Just think of it as one of those puzzles that you have one empty square and you have to move all the others to make a pattern!!! :lol: Cheryl

Even though it's on point, will you put a border around it? That would/could make the design smaller but with the border it would be the right size for the bed.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I am making my first quilt for a family member. Luckily, she doesn't sew. I want to set it on point and have come up one block short. Setting it square is not an option - did I tell you I'm a little stubborn? It's made with charm packs and I'm 6 squares short to be able to make another block.
    I do have an idea, but every time I lay it out, all I get is confused. Maybe I'd better quit until morning.
    At this point, I don't need advice, just someone to commiserate with me. If I grumble at my dogs, they'll think they are ones who did something wrong, not me. Thank you for listening.
    Which charm pack? Maybe someone has 6 extra they can send you.

Scream... and wait until in the morining..thats usually works for me

Blog Entries
    IrishRose - let me make a suggestion - I had a similar problem with a quilt a couple of years ago, not your pattern, but every
    time I would lay it out I had your problem. Here is how I solved mine, and perhaps you can too.
    I have a digital camera and I took pictures of it when I layed it out, then if I wanted to change any of the blocks around, I had a picture to go by, to see where I wanted or needed to change things, needless to say I took a lot of pic. and put them on the computer, so I didn't have to print copies. If you have a digital camera, you might want to try the same thing. If you don't have one, perhaps there is someone you know who does and take some pics. and see if that will help you.
    Now every time I get ready to lay my quilt blocks out I take a pic. of them, and then I can rearrange and know what I have already done with them. Good luck hope things work out for you. Gerbie

Go back to it later. I threw something in the trash yesterday. Then had to go dig it out again when I wasn't so aggravated. Glad nobody threw something yukky on it. LOL.

Blog Entries
    oh dear.. this is what to do.. quickly!!

Run to the bedroom, get a big, soft, bed pillow... now take the pillow and go into the bathroom that's farthest away from the problem quilt (and outhouse would be handy about now, but few of us still have those).. Turn on the water, turn on the exhaust fan... Put the pillow over your face and SCREAM!!

Feel better? if not, try doing it one more time.. LOUDER! If that doesn't work, then I would suggest a nice, cool, glass of your favorite adult beverage.. Feel better? If not try repeating this last step. I would nearly guarantee that you'll soon feel okay about it..

Then check back in with us here.. We may have thought up some better ideas!

Blog Entries
    If you aren't in a hurry, come back to it after you have loved on your dogs. Been there, done that, and probably still haven't finished it:) Good luck.

Blog Entries
    It's coming along. This is when I wish I had I had more experience than just with apparel and home dec. Quilting is so much more exact than either of those. It's a learning curve. How many days until the 13th?

Yes, it will have a border - a brown print with huge coral flowers after a chocolate frame. My next venture is how to put the little cornerstones in the sashing. I think I can see how it has to happen. The sashing is coral with aqua cornerstones. Did I say this daughter likes color?

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I am making my first quilt for a family member. Luckily, she doesn't sew. I want to set it on point and have come up one block short. Setting it square is not an option - did I tell you I'm a little stubborn? It's made with charm packs and I'm 6 squares short to be able to make another block.
    I do have an idea, but every time I lay it out, all I get is confused. Maybe I'd better quit until morning.
    At this point, I don't need advice, just someone to commiserate with me. If I grumble at my dogs, they'll think they are ones who did something wrong, not me. Thank you for listening.

What if you were to make one block of a contrasting color or a blending color and placed it in the center of the piece.

Let it all out - I notice that you did not use capital letters (so you're not be screaming).

Take a rest from the work and you will probably come up with a solution in the morning.

All the best!

Break out the Jose Cuervo - I'm sure things will look better in the morning.

How about a block that functions as a label?

you have reached the point of no sew. Go to bed and you will probably be amazed that you were having a problem in the morning. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie
    IrishRose - let me make a suggestion - I had a similar problem with a quilt a couple of years ago, not your pattern, but every
    time I would lay it out I had your problem. Here is how I solved mine, and perhaps you can too.
    I have a digital camera and I took pictures of it when I layed it out, then if I wanted to change any of the blocks around, I had a picture to go by, to see where I wanted or needed to change things, needless to say I took a lot of pic. and put them on the computer, so I didn't have to print copies. If you have a digital camera, you might want to try the same thing. If you don't have one, perhaps there is someone you know who does and take some pics. and see if that will help you.
    Now every time I get ready to lay my quilt blocks out I take a pic. of them, and then I can rearrange and know what I have already done with them. Good luck hope things work out for you. Gerbie
    Fantastic idea! Thanks for that hint, technology can at times be so frustrating; but this is going to be so helpful. Thanks for sharing!

I know you did not ask for suggestions, but I might think about adding plain squares to the four corners, but thenyou end up with three left over. Or you might change the one in the center and thenyou would come out even -- like having enough gravy for the potatoes.

post a pic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3