Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do people really use the quilts shown at quilt shows? >

Do people really use the quilts shown at quilt shows?

Do people really use the quilts shown at quilt shows?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:46 AM

Each to their own but I would never make a quilt I didn't feel like I could use. An unused quilt has no great memories attached to it when you are gone. The quilt your kids played fort with is the one they will all want in the end.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I have made some beautiful quilts and have never entered any in a show. Everyone I have given them to do use them. Doubt any would ever be thought of as too beautiful to use.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:54 AM

We use all of the quilts, I make. In fact, were haveing our quilt show, next March. Between now, and next march, I'll probably make 7 more new quilts. That will probably give me 10. My long arm lady friend has 3, getting to ready to long arm them for me. I would say people do use them.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:01 AM

*** I use mine and what all my gifts to be used also.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 PM

I have several I have entered in local shows and have even won a few medals. I use all of my quilts that was the ultimate intent of them not as show pieces.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

I had three in a show a few years ago, and I definitely use mine. I even let the cats sleep all over them. All except the one that I am making for my favorite news correspondent.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:34 PM

I enter in quilt shows every year, have won 15 Best in Category blue ribbons, these quilts are on my daughters or grandchildren's beds right now. A few were wall hangings and my daughters hang those also. My daughters grew up around quilts and they know how to take care of them, but they do use them.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 PM

It depends on what level of quilt show you are talking about. Quilts that make the rounds of the national/international juried shows are most likely never turned into bed quilts, even after retirement.

Most shows have limited windows in which a quilt can be shown...completed in the last three years, for example...so, after that, if they haven't been purchased, they are retired. Often the big winners receive purchase prizes, meaning they give up ownership of the quilt in exchange for the prize money. Other post-campaign fates were described by DogHouseMom above.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Thanks for all the answers. I have learned a lot. I have entered a few shows and my quilts get used. Of course, my quilts have never won anything...nor did I expect them to.

I was surprised that I saw no Bargello quilts at the quilt show I was just at. I have recently made several of those and really enjoyed making them. For some reason, I assumed I might see some, but that is probably because they were just on my mind. Maybe at the next quilt show...

Dina
Old 01-10-2014, 08:58 PM

Some of those quilts in the big juried shows take years and a LOT of money to make. I read that one such quilt at the Houston Quilt Festival last fall was valued at several thousand dollars and it took 10 years for the maker to complete it. I'm not certain, but fairly sure that quilts like that don't end up on a bed. ;-)

The quilt Midnight in the Garden of Good and Elvis was valued at around $6500 when it was destroyed at the Houston Quilt Festival back in 2002. I'm certain that some of those quilts are probably valued at much much more these days. I can't imagine making a quilt worth that much!