Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do people really use the quilts shown at quilt shows? >

Do people really use the quilts shown at quilt shows?

Do people really use the quilts shown at quilt shows?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:57 AM

All mine get used. It is my intent to make sure every quilt I make is in a show somewhere. I've given all my quilts to dear friends and family. I still don't have one I sleep under!! LOL - I always let people know to USE the quilt and when it looks like it might be starting to wear out - let me know and I'll make them another one and retire the one starting to wear out!!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:14 AM

I have wonders that also, especially with award winning quilts from quilters like Sharon Shaumber. I can't imagine putting that kind of effort into a quilt, just to have it yanked up around someone's head, or have the dog jump up on it. But maybe the fun is in the creation and not preservation, who knows?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I am glad to hear that some are used. I like the idea of that. I also realize that my question is very generalized, as I suppose the answer is "It depends...." But I like knowing that some are used.

I am still in awe of the beautiful quilts I saw. Oh, it was the Oklahoma City Quit Show, which is running for two more days. If anyone is close enough to go, it was certainly a good show with beautiful quilts.

Dina
Was there yesterday. Took some pictures and looked and looked and ... well you get the idea. My sister-in-law and I laughed when we got home, saying that trip made us to depressed to do anymore that day. She just got a long arm and was going home to play with that. Fun, fun. I am going to do the paper piecing in the new Fons and Porter. Wish me luck. LOL
Old 01-12-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Each to their own but I would never make a quilt I didn't feel like I could use. An unused quilt has no great memories attached to it when you are gone. The quilt your kids played fort with is the one they will all want in the end.
Mine are mostly charity and gift quilts so I request that each one be used. They will not get another quilt if the first/last one was not used. We want to know the history behind an old quilt and who made it. My quilts will have a history of being used. It will end up being about the memories not the ribbons they won.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 AM

I have quilts all over the house. There is one in each of the armchairs in my living room. They help hide the places that my cat tore up sharpening his claws. My sofa in that room is also completely covered I a quilt. It is actually faded from the sunlight coming in the big window. I use a quilt on my bed that still has the hanging sleeve on it from our guild quilt show several years ago. There are quilts on my walls and quilted items scattered about. They are probably all hand quilted. I actually won another guilds raffle quilt. It is the only one I have not used. It is king size and just to big for my bed and bedroom. It is also not a color scheme that is anywhere in my home. If the time comes that I need a king size quilt as a gift I will gladly use it. I long ago lost track of how many quilts I have made and given away. I presently am involved in our local Linus Project and usually make a number of quilts for them each month.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:42 AM

Good question to ask someone like Sharon Schamber! I think her quilts travel the country in many shows and maybe even overseas. Many of her quilts are huge, others more like art (tho they are all 'art' to me!) Wonder if they end up in galleries somewhere or purchased by large companies or private people with lots of money. Can't even image how much one of her quilts would sell for!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
The quilt Midnight in the Garden of Good and Elvis was valued at around $6500 when it was destroyed at the Houston Quilt Festival back in 2002. I'm certain that some of those quilts are probably valued at much much more these days. I can't imagine making a quilt worth that much!
How did that happen?

Charlotte
Old 01-12-2014, 12:48 PM

When I married my husband, I moved into the family home built in 1855. There were some quilts...worn and used, but still nice. I've used them, and now they are very worn. About 25 years ago, my Hubby's Aunt had an auction to get rid of her household to move to FL. She had some quilts, like mine, made by her Mother, but pristine...not used. They sold for over $500...to much for me to buy some of Grandma's quilts.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:06 PM

I am working on my first "show quilt". It is one that I am making strictly to enter in a show. I will use it after it has been in that show. I can't think of spending that much time and money and energy and then now using the quilt.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:09 AM

As a blanket is not the only use for a quilt.

I had a quilt in an AQS show, and I use it in my home exactly as how it was intended when I made it: as a piece of artwork. It is not stored away out of light or from indoor elements like dust. It is as stiff as cardboard, so I sure wouldn't want to sleep under it; that would be a ridiculous use.

(The dog has laid on it though... if it is fabric, she lays on it.)