Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do quilt shows inspire you? >

Do quilt shows inspire you?

Do quilt shows inspire you?

Old 03-02-2012, 04:40 AM

I like the local shows put on by quilt guilds. I alwasy enjoy meeting the members and seeing their quilts. Always inspire.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 AM

I am feeling the same way about shows unless there is something specific I am shopping for and haven't found it in a local quilt shop. I have so many patterns and fabrics and have done so many shows that I just don't feel the need to go.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 AM

I really don't enjoy quilt shows like I use to before the computer age I did not want to miss one it was so interesting to see how someone could design a pattern then to look at their hand quilting oh yes in those days some shows took nothing but hand quilted, then there were the shows that would except hand tied quilts even many techneques for that
so I missed very few shows but now so many are computer designed and long arm quilted that I have lost my desire to go maybe I am just getting older
Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 AM

wish you were here Jennifer Chiaverini is speaking at the Thousand Oaks Liberary (?sp) on Saturday.
Just read Sonoma Rose and it was great a continuation of Homecoming which was my favorite. The meaning of the quilts to the people who hold them, find them, make them, etc. in this writers books is an inspiration not only to keep on quilting but to try new designs and tecniques........ok, sorry Jacquie if i got off subject.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

A fabric and supply show would inspire me... but not a quilt show. I enjoy looking at show quilts, but have no desire to try to make the elaborate stuff I see at shows. I really don't have any desire to own anything like that, either... I like simple and modern. The fabrics inspire me more than how they are used.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Ok, this is a silly question, but ..... can't you go to visit your sister and Auntie? Do you have to spend 3 days at the quilt show? Sure, you want to go with them and see things, but if your budget won't handle it and you'll be tempted to spend more, then just go for 1 day and suggest to your sister and Auntie that you all do something else together for the rest of the time. Would it have to quilt related? Are there other interests between you that you could explore?
Just thoughts to think about. But the time spent with your sister and Auntie are priceless and limited.

It sounds to me like you are going not as just a quilter, but still as a shop owner, but don't have your shop anymore. Could it be that that is what is zapping/draining you? the wish of what could have been. If you aren't taking the classes, then I see no reason to have to spend 3 days there. you can surely get around to the vendors you want to say Hi to in one day. then free yourself to spend time with your relatives.

Last edited by BarbaraSue; 03-02-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:31 AM

I enjoy the shows, and sometimes I find quilts that do inspire me. But I much prefer my local shows because the quilts tend to be a little simpler and something I could potentially make. I love seeing all the fancy quilts, and I hope someday to make one, but it's honestly not my style so when I see them at a big quilt show it doesn't really inspire me. Or sometimes I'll see a quilt that I fall in love with, but it's way out of my "able to actually do it" range and that just makes me depressed. I saw this awesomely inspiring Halloween quilt at a show once and I would love to make one on my own, but I don't have the creativity to design it, so it just makes me sad that I can't make it. LOL

Rachel
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 AM

I dont' get inspired but I sure spend money, I am skipping theshows this year, want to use all the gadgets and fabric I already have!!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 AM

The only big show I've been to is Paducah and I there to shop more than to see the quilts, which are way out of my league. For inspiration, I prefer our local guild shows. There are projects that I might actually do and the vendors are fun without breaking the bank. This year I am skipping Paducah for the reasons that you listed, and b/c we are going on a family vacation. The only downside is that I will miss the road trip with my quilty friends.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

Quilt shows make me drool!