Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do quilt shows inspire you? >

Do quilt shows inspire you?

Do quilt shows inspire you?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:15 AM

This will be the first year that I go to the Azalea quilt show with friends. For some reason I have not ever really wanted to go to the quilt show with anyone. I like to wander, stop at different kiosks, ask questions, loiter a bit and, if I want to, leave. This year, my 2 BFF's will be here in town. I wonder how that is going to work out?? Keep you posted.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

DH and I were discussing this topic the other day - he actually likes to go to the shows as much as I do. We had taken a break from shows because at one point, they all seemed the same. I mean - how many GFGs can you look at before you get bored? But now I got the bug. I want to be inspired by the colors, the patterns, yes - the vendors, and we are mapping the shows into the calender. My budget is limited and I will not buy much but I want to enjoy the venues nonetheless.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 PM

I love to go to quilt shows and there are several nice ones in the area. I like the traditional quilts and sometimes something else strikes me. Love the art quilts but have to hang them. They just don't look right on a bed as sometimes things get lost. I have made a number of picture quilts but they are small and can be hung. I like to see everything and hate it when I hear people being critical about someones quilt. Enjoy them and they must be very proud to have the quilt hung in a quilt show. We really aren't the "quilt police".
Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 PM

Default Dallas Quilt Show

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
OR do they just empty your bank account and leave you buyer's remorse?
Do they get your creative juices flowing, or leave you thinking it is time to take up scrap booking instead?

One of my all time FAVORITE shows is coming up..the Dallas quilt guild show! I make the trek down there each (for the last 5) and visit with my vendor buds, friends from the guild/area, soak up all the talent, creativity I can for 3 days, and then trek back home feeling uninspired, drained, and wondering WHY I go every year!
SO, this year I have not been nearly as excited to spend all the money it is going to take to go to the show. The vendors are all the same ones I just saw in OKcity in Jan, I don't think they offer any classes! THe only thing I have to really look forward to is seeing my sister and my friends.

Will I go? Still not sure. WE are planning on leaving Wed so need to get my ducks in a row. I just hope I can find something to spark my QUILTING creativity this year!
I have been to the Dallas Show and enjoyed it. Have also been to the OKC Quilt Show--nice. I live in Galveston now, a lot farther away from both. When I was in Central, TX, Temple, it was easier to go to those. But....I am closer to the Houston International Quilt Show! now!!
Old 03-02-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
It sounds like this is the year , you should skip it. I do find inspiration from shows but I am typically very anxious to go. If you are running low on anticipation , I think that part of your brain may be telling you something.
I agree. Sounds like burnout. Sorry about your not having a job for so long.
I wouldn't be wanting to be in a place to be tempted to spend money I shouldn't
either.
I've always enjoyed 'looking' as much or more than buying. Some quilts are absolutely
not my style of choice but it's fun to see all the work and thought that some people
have put into them.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:35 PM

totally or they make me green with envy!
Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 PM

Jaquie, I went to that quilt show last year and spent very little because I tend to run around indecisive about anything until it's too late or I'm too tired to care. In fact, I realized after I went home and read the brochure that the sweet woman selling tickets had undercharged me, giving me the senior rate which I was a little too young for. I have mixed feelings about saving that buck! If you can justify the trip to Dallas to see your sister and friends, go and have a good time. Or if you're burned out on quilt shows for now, how about visiting the Dallas Arboretum in the beautiful spring weather? Maybe all the colorful flowers will inspire a quilt.

Last year I ran into a nearby neighbor of mine at the show who had just won a major ribbon for her quilt, and it was inspiring just to see that, though I'll never have the drive to create anything as flawless and artistic as her work.

My philosphy about impulse spending is to treat it as a wise gambler would. Decide ahead of time how much you are going to spend and only take that much with you. When you do spend it, decide that what you bought was the price of your recreation for that day, and if the purchases pay off as things you'll actually use, that's a bonus. My husband's hobby is golf, and all he has to show for his ($$$!!!) expenditures are score cards. If I see something more costly that I can't live without, the dealers all have business cards, and there will always be another chance after I've had time to think about it.

I live less than an hour away from one of the biggest quilt shows on the planet and didn't go to that one last fall. I go once every few years, but my grandbaby is in the Dallas area, so if the timing is right for visiting him, I'll go again. Not counting the 200 mile trip (which was justified by the family visit), the Dallas show had a reasonable admission price and parking was free, if I remember right.

Our Woodlands Area Quilt Guild is getting ready to host its first quilt show in April, and I can't wait to go to that one.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 PM

Sorry - double post.

Last edited by Rose_P; 03-02-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 PM

I love going to quilt shows but come away feeling totally inadequate...but that last only a day or so...lol...I don't care if my quilts are show stoppers or not..I just love doing it...
Old 03-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Banned

Rose_P,
FUnny you should mention the Arboretum! MY master gardener group is doing a bus tour down there the SAME weekend as the show! Might pop over there on Sat!