Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do use a thimble? >

Do use a thimble?

Do use a thimble?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:09 AM

I generally use one when hand sewing or quilting. If I don't , I usually end up with the eye of the needle stuck in my finger. :cry: There's not a very pretty thought this early in the morning. Makes my finger hurt just thinking about it.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:52 AM

I use a leather thimble.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 AM

I keep trying, but I can't find a thimble that fits. They all fall off my finger and they feel so awkward. I keep trying, though, since I poke the same spot on my middle finger all the time. Takes the fun out of sewing.
Sue
Old 10-28-2011, 04:39 AM

I am 58 and I use a thimble on my thumb. It would hurt not to. I also have started experimenting with a leather thimble some. I haven't decided if I like it yet or not. It seemed to work good when I was doing some binding recently.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:48 AM

I use masking tape with a piece folded over several times taped to the part where the needle hits. I have problems with the several thimbles that are out there.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:31 AM

I use a leather thimble that fits over my middle finger. I like it because it is soft and the leather allows my finger not to get sweaty.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
I use the cone Thimble Lady one as well and love it. How is the thumb one? Do you also quilt away from yourself or do you use the thumb one for a different purpose?
I use it to quilt away from myself and it saves me quite a lot of hassle rotating my hoop.

I found she is absolutely correct: once I learned how to coordinate my fingers using the finger cone thimble, learning to use my thumb was really quick and easy. It took maybe an hour before my thumb stitches matched my finger stitches. Most of that hour was just my fingers getting confused and wanting to revert back to the way they move when I quilt towards myself.

Once that was sorted out, then I had to get used to how much stronger my thumb is than my fingers. I had never noticed before but my thumb really is much stronger and somewhat less sensitive than my fingers.

Well worth the price and the investment of an hour in learning how to use it for me.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 PM

I use the little leather stick on dots or nothing. Haven't found a thimble that fits . When I first started quilting I went with my mom to a local church which quilted. All the other ladies used a thimble including my mom but not me.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:27 PM

I use a Thimblelady cone thimble: http://www.thimblelady.com.au/catego...ions/Thimbles/
Old 10-28-2011, 12:38 PM

I never used a thimble until I started hand appliquing. I had sewn for years, making clothing and with the larger needles, I did not need one. Even with embroidery and cross-stitch--all needlecrafts that faded away when I started quilting--I didn't need one. Then, I tried (and fell in love with)hand applique. After trying most every thimble out there, I find I love the stick-on leather ones, simple circles that glue to the exact necessary spot on the finger. There is no weight, which I hated with the silver thimbles. There is also no bulk added. I feel like it's just my finger with protection,