Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you actually USE your scraps?? >

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Old 10-30-2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
I don't have a scrap bag/box. I have my fabric sorted by color and each has it's own covered plastic box. Scraps of each color go back into it's own box after I'm done cutting. I do have to admit, the fabric in there isn't sorted by value anymore, like it was when I first began this hobby/love. Maybe one day, I'll get back into each box and sort it out. :roll:
Wow! SOmeone who has actually done what every one of us keep saying we are going to do. Good for you! By the time I figured out what you are saying, I was on my way out the door, to the LQS to "just look" and walked back in with three more projects, ten more different cuts of fabric, not to mention three new rulers, ten more packets of needles ... and?
When did I have time??? LOL
I am glad that you kept right on it. All newbies! Follow the Fireworkslover! She probably has more fun with her quilt production than someone like me who is buried under containers of fabric that have no rhyme or reason for their contents, except perhaps the date that I purchased them! <g> <sigh> you give me hope, Fire ... good deal!
Old 10-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I'm working on cutting up my scraps into usable pieces (different thread) and it got me wondering - how many of you actually use your scraps on a regular basis?

When I started quilting, I knew not to throw my scraps away since I would make scrap quilts "some day". Fast forward 4 or so years later, and I had only opened the scrap bin a few times and then to only get a piece or 2. Now that the scraps are overflowing from the bin, I'm going to try to do something with them... and it got me thinking, I'm sure I'm not the only one who collects scraps but doesn't actually do anything with them... right??
I'm a SCRAPPY quilter so its all I use :D
Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 AM

I use my "dog ears" from triangles to make Quilters Jam.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
I use my "dog ears" from triangles to make Quilters Jam.
okay ... I'm game!
What is Quilters' Jam?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:49 AM

No hubby last night, so I started putting leftover 1.5" stips together and making 5" sq's. Not sure what they will become....but they will be "something wonderful". :roll:

Patti
Old 10-30-2009, 07:00 AM

If you take your five inch strip squares, and turn them back and forth, you will have sort of a basket weave.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 AM

Thanks....I am thinking maybe that would be an easy way to put them together. I might make it just big enough for a doll quilt, and use it to practice some FMQ. I really suck at that, and I am sure that neither my GD or her "baby" will mind if the stitches aren't perfect.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 AM

I save scraps and use them too. I make lots of charity blocks and tops so I save anything 2" and over. I had to stop saving smaller scraps because I rarely used them. Did make a few crumb tops but decided that was too much work. Right now I'm planning turning my big stash of scraps into log cabin quilts. They eventually be will 'extra' quilts for 2 of my grandaugthers, one just moved into her own condo and another is getting married next year. Keep on saving those scraps gals, May in Jersey

Old 10-30-2009, 08:05 AM

The idea of a scrappy doll quilt is a good idea, especially when you get to experiment with a new technique such as free motion quilting ... enough to get a feel for it, but not so large that you can't made swift improvement or become discouraged ... good plan!

May in Jersey, you are a good encourager <g> Just send those little ones on to a thrift store, or check with your local quilt store. Our local quilt store has bins for two or three groups of quilters who need donations - - Project Linus, the high school home ec class, the American Legion Auxiliary, and a couple of others ... people can put their scraps or anything they know someone who does charity sewing and creating, and share ... maybe they will help you get your unused scraps to a quilting group that will turn them into something else.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:06 AM

You also need a device that prevents your car from turning into quilt stores parking lots........