Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you actually USE your scraps?? >

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Old 10-29-2009, 05:29 PM

Ihave not used mine very often, until recently. After several years of trying different types of quilt patterns, fabrics, etc, I have discovered that my very favorite quilts are scrap quilts!! Right now, I am using a lot of them to make quilted scrap hot pads/ potholders. And using my leftover cotton batting pieces for the batting to boot. But, when I get a few UFOs done, I am going to start make scrap quilts exclusively..... well, maybe a few here and there of something else. LOL
Old 10-29-2009, 06:44 PM

I signed up for IRR2 ... three centers ... before that I had wanted to encourage one of our quilting board contributors, so I took her mini mystery ... I chose that little quilt to make one of my centers. And, then I needed to start working my strips and bit and pieces.
I put a quarter on one of the little blocks so you can see a sampling of what I am working on ... enough of those little bits and pieces, and a few fun alternating blocks ... might be a pretty interesting lap robe when I get done!

I probably should have taken a picture of the stack I am working with, eh?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]53609[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-53609.jpe  
Old 10-29-2009, 06:51 PM

So! I went back to get a picture of the stack of little pieced blocks, and thought!
"Hey! Maybe I ought to take my own advice and make a churndash or nine-patch to put between each other"
cool! But, before that <g> I have to make the littlest ones a little bigger.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-4358.jpe  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by smitty
yes, I now use scraps down to the tinest scrap. make a pillow for your Humane Society, fill it with all the batting & fabric scraps. Sew shut. the animals love them & so do the workers. amazing how fast you can accumulate enough for a pillow.
One of the LQS collects fabric scraps for that exact reason, so I've donated my scraps to them.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:15 AM

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to join. I need a system to keep my scraps organized.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 AM
Power Poster

This is a great thread....wonderful, honest replies, stunning quilts, and great tips.....I can't bring myself to throw any fabric away, and now the quilting bug bit...so now I have a million "to do's" and best of all....I'm not alone...not a freak...YAY!
Old 10-30-2009, 02:32 AM

I use my scraps. Actually find myself purposely buying more fabric than needed for a project just so I'll have leftovers. Most of the quilts I've made for Project Linus are scrap quilts. Strips mainly but many of the backs are bits and pieces sewn together into sort of a primitive crazy patch until large enough to cut into an 8 inch or so block. When I have enough blocks, I sew them together for the backing.
Anything goes. Solids, prints, plaids, stripes, holiday fabrics. I don't bother matching colors, just sew whatever fits the previous piece along one side.
The backs may not be beautiful but they are colorful and kids love to see what they can find. My own grandchildren have spent hours looking to see what familar item they can find.
Have also used them as scrappy sashing to go around machine embroidered red work kids designs to great effect.
Ellie
Old 10-30-2009, 03:19 AM

I love scraps from other people too, because they have different fabrics than I do. My scraps turn into donation blocks for worthy causes.

You all sure do have a lot of great ideas. I will have to contact the animal shelter to see if I can capitalize on Smitty's idea and I surely will try Omark's idea.

Rag rugs can also be made out of small strips. I made a lot when I was younger because one of my aunts was a seamstress.

Cut a piece of burlap to the size of rug that you want. Use a hook or in my case I used a large hairpin to pull the strip through the burlap. The strips can either be tied or put in a row and then sew down the middle of each row as you go. These rugs are very colorful and can be always put to good use around the house.

Did I say before that I love scraps??? :D :D :D
Old 10-30-2009, 04:25 AM

Smitty....thanks for the tip on animal pillows. My gf volunteers every Saturday at the Humane Society, so I can jsut give them to her. I know they will be appreciated. It seems that shelters everywhere are struggling and are so thankful for donations of any kind.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:30 AM

I don't have a scrap bag/box. I have my fabric sorted by color and each has it's own covered plastic box. Scraps of each color go back into it's own box after I'm done cutting. I do have to admit, the fabric in there isn't sorted by value anymore, like it was when I first began this hobby/love. Maybe one day, I'll get back into each box and sort it out. :roll: