Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you actually USE your scraps?? >

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Old 11-28-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by SuzyM
If it is smaller than a fq then I don't keep it. I am just not into keeping small pieces of fabric around - that and I really don't have the room for it.
OUCH! Wanna send them this way? I'll pay postage
Old 11-28-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I didn't use to use my scraps at all until I realized just how much yardage I was tossing away.
On one of the earlier quilts I made I did the math and figured out the yardage difference between two different methods of flying geese. The difference was a full yard. That yard would have been reduced to waste triangles. I made sure after I figured the difference for that quilt that I don't use any "waste" methods for big quilts any more.

Everyone should learn how to do quilt math. It's really not all that hard if you use a calculator.

I'm always amazed that so many quilters don't do math. It's the way I think. I have to zip my lip at some of the questions here, since the answers are so simple to me. But if a quilter doesn't think in math, I could spend the rest of my life trying to explain.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Naiscoot
Yes, I use them to make lap quilts for the shut ins from our church. Now I am using them to make lap quilts for the womens shelter in my city. Great way to use them up and benefit others.
neat use of scraps.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:16 PM

Be careful with those scraps. They are like loaves and fishes!
If they get too out of hand, just donate to a church group who will use them. You can start over....and they do return!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Naiscoot
just another scrappy quilt no colour scheme just leftovers
eye catching!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Everyone should learn how to do quilt math. It's really not all that hard if you use a calculator.

I'm always amazed that so many quilters don't do math. It's the way I think. I have to zip my lip at some of the questions here, since the answers are so simple to me. But if a quilter doesn't think in math, I could spend the rest of my life trying to explain.
I know what you're saying!! It's basic math, there's nothing hard about it. I have a calculator on my desk so I can do the math fast and easy and it prints out so I can keep track of my math for a quilt.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ClydeneC
I use my scraps on almost every quilt. I love string quilts and appliq. My last 3 quilts were all made out of scraps and everyone loves them.
All my quilts are scrappy ones. The only fabric I buy from a fabric store is for backing. I even piece together left over pieces of batting to make a quilt size piece, or I do the "Fun & Done" thing and only have to make a piece of batting as large as one quilt block.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Banned

I use my scraps. Always have,as often thats all I had to start with..but I love scrappy things!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:38 PM

I have reached the end of today's posts on scrappy--all 13 pages. please don't post any more--I need to get off here.but I did not want to miss one single suggestion, etc.
I used to just throw scraps in a tub. too much mess when I finally decided to use them or they overflowed ! now, I cut scraps into what usable sizes I want to use and place in boxes marked for that size. takes a lot less room, you do your cutting after each couple of projects. I now cut off 1 1/2" STRIPS from almost every fabric I buy. this goes in the log-cabin or string box.
I gifted two boxes of cut scraps to quilting buddies & still have more than I will probably ever use. so fun to be able to do that.
leaders & enders--hurray !
Old 11-28-2010, 07:45 PM

I save the selvedges to make a quilt one day. All other scraps go to my daughter who is a Bonnie Hunter fan and cuts up every scrap into usable strips and squares then makes quilts with them.