Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you actually USE your scraps?? >

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Do you actually USE your scraps??

Old 04-10-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Naiscoot
Yes, I use them to make lap quilts for the shut ins from our church. Now I am using them to make lap quilts for the womens shelter in my city. Great way to use them up and benefit others.
Such a beautiful quilt. I picked up on the way you used a block of your strip pieces to pull the blocks together. If this is common I have not gotten to that chapter in my learning experience yet. I didn't know how to pull them all together. You have helped me immensely. This information is going in my notepad. Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
QNNTV has all the quilt shows except Alex Anderson. There are so many it takes months to watch them all.
It used to be free but Fons and Porter bought it so now it costs.
It is worth the price as you can learn so much, it has everything.
http://qnntv.com
There is also a free video web site.
http://quilterstv.com
They dont have near as many videos but it is free.
Thanks Rose Marie. I put quilters TV in my favorite places in case I ever have enough time away from quiltingboard and my sewing machine to watch some of their videos.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:54 PM

just another scrappy quilt no colour scheme just leftovers

another scrappy quilt 2 1/2 sqs 4' mid
[ATTACH=CONFIG]52310[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-52310.jpe  
Old 11-28-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Naiscoot
just another scrappy quilt no colour scheme just leftovers
The nice thing about using 2.5" squares/strips is: The finished size is 2", so it is easy to do the math to figure out how big a pattern will be.
I have done a lot of the quilts that are the technique where you sew across the diagonal of small squares to create flying geese or snowballs, or whatever.
I absolutely take the time to move the block over .5" and make the second line so I can cut down the middle, have the block I am actually wanting, and a teeny, tiny little HST as a scrap.
You can do a lot with a HST, even if it is less than an inch ... if nothing else, people will wonder about you <g> <wave>
Old 11-28-2010, 06:10 PM

I love scraps and actually buy scraps! Iwill buy any that any one here wants to part with as I am sure others will too.
Rae
Old 11-28-2010, 06:19 PM

I use mine. I mostly make scrappy quilts and any pieces that are left over I cut into squares.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

I use them right down to nothing with all the appliques i do
Old 11-28-2010, 06:49 PM
RST

I do. Look at my avatar quilt -- all scraps. I've made several in that style, as well as pillows, table runners, hotpads -- all with the scrappy color strips. Very fast and easy, but kinda cool and graphic.

RST
Old 11-28-2010, 06:56 PM

I use my scraps on almost every quilt. I love string quilts and appliq. My last 3 quilts were all made out of scraps and everyone loves them.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I'm working on cutting up my scraps into usable pieces (different thread) and it got me wondering - how many of you actually use your scraps on a regular basis?

When I started quilting, I knew not to throw my scraps away since I would make scrap quilts "some day". Fast forward 4 or so years later, and I had only opened the scrap bin a few times and then to only get a piece or 2. Now that the scraps are overflowing from the bin, I'm going to try to do something with them... and it got me thinking, I'm sure I'm not the only one who collects scraps but doesn't actually do anything with them... right??
I leave all scraps as they are. Never know what I might need. I've used 2" by 36" scraps before. So it all goes into a bin--by color if I take the time. Except all holiday stuff goes in one biN. And there it was ready for me when someone posted the stocking mug rug on here. THANK YOU AGAIN!