Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you always label your quilts? >

Do you always label your quilts?

Do you always label your quilts?

Old 11-26-2014, 03:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
If you have difficulty with labels, keep it simple and buy one of the preprinted label panels. I cut the labels apart, stitch stabilizer to fit, sew the stabilizer to the label, right sides together all around, slash the stabilizer with a cut wide enough to turn the label inside out encasing all the edges. I poke out the corners carefully, press the label and stick it in my label drawer, often preparing a bunch at a time. When I need a label, I grab an already prepared one, and print the information on it with a black or blue Pigma pen and stitch it on with my machine using invisible clear thread. You can't see the thread, it's securely attached and the label didn't take much time.
yes, this is a great idea
Old 11-26-2014, 05:11 AM

I do now, I absolutly regret not labeling my early ones I didn't think they were worthy I was wrong.

Sometimes it's just the date and my name, lalaland's suggestion of using your maiden name too is a good one I need to start that, sometimes I name the quilt and give a reason for making it or a quote Like my most resent was

Sunrise highway
made for nick and Jaqui ro_~_
june 7 2014
By Billi chapman
true love stories never have endings

Obviously a wedding gift.

If its a baby quilt after the baby is born I put the name and birth date if it's before I don't add the name even if they tell me baby to bee's name parents have been known to change their mind hahahaha.

I have never used the preprinted fabric labels, they can be found at most Lqs and joannns, because my writting is horrifying, I have used the alphabet on my machine and printed them on fabric made to use with an inkjet printer.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:15 AM

I have a friend who sews a cream or white colored square in the back (not in center) she sets it off a bit and she writes on it and it can never be removed from quilt. It is a bit of extra work having the seams but that is how I will do mine on my future quilts.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:34 AM

Never label anything, including artwork. Once I'm done with a project, I'm done. If I've designed it, I have kept that proof and also the original RAW files from camera which have date, lens, in the EXIF. If the quilt was given as a gift, whatever the recipient does with it is their right and I don't care.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:56 AM

I don't label mine, either. I am always hoping that they'll get worn out well before they can be passed along - my quilts are meant to be used (and used up), not put away.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I don't label mine either. I guess I don't figure any of them will last past the first recipient. Just thinking about it now, once it's done, it's done. Even for the ones I keep. Maybe one day...
Old 11-26-2014, 06:17 AM

My family is always lecturing me on labeling my quilts. I just can't do it. I can't put my finger on it exactly but .. I find it a sign of vanity or something along those lines. I tell the recipients to "consume" it in my lifetime.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:19 AM

Yes, I always label my quilts. I bought the preprinted yardage too. I also won some labels that have embroidered, "Handmade for you by ...." It includes my name.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

I learned from a friend to do a backstitch on the back of the quilt along the binding. I just use a light pencil that can be erased as I go. I just put to so and so from Aunt, Grandma, or just Theresa (last name) and date. I also will address if Happy b-day or holiday. I do this after it's been bound.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

A friendly neighbor is sight impaired and one of her nieces is a quilter taught by her aunt before losing much of her sight. Labels in braille by using French knots. Her niece whips French knots like no one's business. Every knot coordinates with the color of the material. You have to really look or run your hand over the edge of the quilt. Many believe it to be decorative stitching. It's a decorative label.